Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who in 2019 is still editing 1080?

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    4GB NVIDIA GTX 1650 BLACK EDITION
    256GB Samsung 860 PRO SATA SSD - OS Drive
    512GB Samsung 860 PRO SATA SSD - Project Drive
    Two suggestions: Go for an 8GB GPU (most important) and see if you can get a little more drive memory for project storage (at least 1 TB). On the latter point, keep the specified SSD drives BUT consider adding a third HD, even if it is older disc-type to store your media. The combination of a three-drive setup will give you the best configuration for efficiency (i.e. operating and editing software on the 256 OS drive, write and render to 512 Project drive, media and clip storage on 3rd drive).
    Last edited by worddigger; 05-14-2019 at 12:28 PM.

2. Default

If your current PC is still working, I'd say hold out a few more months, save a couple hundred more $$ and get an i7 CPU. You don't want to skimp on the processor for a 4k video editing PC. I'm not saying you need top-of-the-line, but don't go for the office apps processor if you can help it.

3. Default

Intel Core i5 9600K 6-core
    Professionally overclocked up to 5.0GHz
    16GB Corsair 2666MHz DDR4
    4GB NVIDIA GTX 1650 BLACK EDITION
    256GB Samsung 860 PRO SATA SSD - OS Drive
    512GB Samsung 860 PRO SATA SSD - Project Drive
    Yeah, i would NOT buy that if i were you.
    As worddigger and jochicago said - that graphcis card will bottleneck you because of the 4GB VRam (i actually had Premiere crash all the time on heavier Premiere projects, because my old video card had only 4GB of VRAM).
    And u should 100% get a core i7 instead of a i5.

The CPU is your most important part and an i5 is literary a budged gaming or mid tier office work CPU. Don't take that for video editing work.
    As an alternative - wait a few months for the new gen AMD and Intel CPUs. Either save up for those or at the very least you should see a 20% price drop for the current gen ones and buy a new system then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    Either save up for those or at the very least you should see a 20% price drop for the current gen ones and buy a new system then.
    That is always the case. I've been caught in that trpa before. Keep waiting for the next release and you never take the plunge!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    If your current PC is still working, I'd say hold out a few more months, save a couple hundred more $$ and get an i7 CPU. You don't want to skimp on the processor for a 4k video editing PC. I'm not saying you need top-of-the-line, but don't go for the office apps processor if you can help it.
    Thanks for your input guys. I've taken it on board and I'm carefully considering your suggestions. Lots of useful advice.
    As to above, I don't want to tempt fate here jo but yes my current editing machine is working fine..so, not in urgent need of a replacement just yet. It's not about actually saving up to make up the money it's about not really having the inclination to spend 1500-1800 quid on a hobby machine. I just figured with the technical advancements on processors and Graphic cards, id be able to get a much more powerful machine for the same money i payed for my current rig ...8 years ago! My Current machine gets a bit claggy once you start loading the timelines and colour grading.
    I've found another machine with possibly a better spec on the scan site for similar money... I'll post a link here ..
    Last edited by enc; 05-16-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

6. Default

Some ideas to bring down the cost:
    - Get an AMD processor, it should save a couple $hundred. I'm on Ryzen 7 and there's nothing wrong with it. Compatibility across all software can be less than perfect on recent models, but overall my experience has been good and it's a beast of a processor. (But check compatibility notes with your editor of choice).

- Grab a slightly older video card that's not top-of-the-line. I went with GTX 1070 at the time as second tier to the 1080. They now have better models in that range, so maybe a 1080 could be found at a better price today. Or just get the 1070, it works for me.

- Drop the SSD in favor of a 7200-speed hard drive. The speed difference is somewhat negligible once the OS and software are loaded, but hard drives have a ton more space for the money. This may be harder to do since a lot of builds these days use at least a 256GB SSD for the OS. But if the option is presented, using a single 3 or 4 TB 7200 hard drive may be a great way to consolidate another $100 or so.

'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

8. Default

Again a GTX 1650. Why do they keep putting that card in to systems?!
    It's is the WORST performance / value card on the market. It makes no sense and is a pointless piece of hardware.
    Do not buy a system with that thing in it.

Also - if you want to edit on DaVinci Resolve, then you need a good GPU, because DaVinci is GPU based (more accurately - 60% GPU and 40% CPU). I know you said you edit on Premiere (so do i), but after the latest Adobe update i am starting to HATE Premiere and so do a LOT of people these days.
    With every update Adobe manages to REDUCE performance and stability in Premiere to the point where it has increased my editing times by 30% in the past year or so (just by Premiere being laggy, crashing, having insane warp stabilizer analyze times in 4K and so on), so i am actually investing a lot of time right now to learn the ins and outs of Resolve so that i can fully switch.

Not to mention that my PC can handle 4K footage perfectly fine in Resolve, but in Premiere it cant play more then 2 seconds without bursting in to flames and dying even on 1/8 quality after the latest update, so fck Adobe. I am paying those assh***s $80 a month for what... making my work much harder and more frustrating?!

With that being said - do not buy a system with that crappy GTX 1650!
    Get at least a 1070!

Other then that the system looked fine apart from the Power supply - CX550M. I think 550W is too little for a workstation.
    You will be utilizing the PSU @ 70% to 80% and that will reduce it's reliability and lifespan considerably. I would get a 700W one.
    I always use overkill PSU's (every PC i built for myself had a 1200W PSU) so that i can run them at 20% to 50% max.
    After that one time where a shitty 500W PSU burned down my entire PC i just don't trust anything below 1000W 80+ Platinum ones.

Also - if you want to edit on DaVinci Resolve, then you need a good GPU, because DaVinci is GPU based (more accurately - 60% GPU and 40% CPU). I know you said you edit on Premiere (so do i), but after the latest Adobe update i am starting to HATE Premiere and so do a LOT of people these days.
    With every update Adobe manages to REDUCE performance and stability in Premiere to the point where it has increased my editing times by 30% in the past year or so (just by Premiere being laggy, crashing, having insane warp stabilizer analyze times in 4K and so on), so i am actually investing a lot of time right now to learn the ins and outs of Resolve so that i can fully switch.
    Problems with Vegas crashing spurred me to migrate to Premiere Pro. After three years of Adobe's 'upgrades' and instabilities (not to mention the high recurring subscription costs), I bit the bullet and took the plunge into learning Davinci Resolve. I'm really glad that I did. I have i7 Intel core processing, 128 GB Ram and a GTX-1080 CPU. Even with THAT I was having slowdown/instability issues with Premiere Pro AND Hitfilm. The fact that Blackmagic Design's Davinci product is more GPU reliant (and becoming more-so with each iteration) is a major paradigm shift for PC video editing terminals.

The conventional wisdom has been MORE CPU SPEED and MORE RAM, but greater utilization and processing emphasis on the GPU side of terminal is proving to be a very smart move. In addition, with the integration of the legacy Fusion VFX software into a previous integration of timeline editing into the legacy Davinci Color Correction software and the additional integration of the Fairlight Audio capabilities, BMD has brought forth the ultimate in an all-in-one editing platform for PC use. Quite frankly, I consider it a game changer in the NLE race. To say nothing of the cost-effectiveness of their buy-once product vs. the subscription model that PP and Hitfilm are pushing (at ever increasing prices) and the inherent limitations of 'layering' vs. node-based approaches.

OK, with all that said, Davinci Resolve is NOT EASY to learn, it is complex and has a steep learning curve, but boy does it perform!!!

Also - if you want to edit on DaVinci Resolve, then you need a good GPU, because DaVinci is GPU based (more accurately - 60% GPU and 40% CPU).
    This interests me. I finally feel comfortable in premiere and after effects so I'm really dreading to take the plunge into the realm of DaVinci but let's assume I conquer my fears for a second.

My current rig is CPU only i.e. it only uses the Intel® HD Graphics 4600 on the i7-4770K chip. OMG, no dedicated GPU?! You must be mad!... yes, yes I am and no it doesn't have a dedicated GPU and I'll tell you why. I thought this was a clever build because it meant I saved a few hundred pounds on a power hungry GPU which in turn saved me a few pence on the electricity bill AND I could get a cheaper PSU. As a side note I'd like to mention this build has no trouble with 4K files and the CPU hasn't even been overclocked (I tried but my cores got unstable :'( ).
    Now this means I obviously would have to build something new if I'm switching to Resolve. Not a big issue, frankly it's due an upgrade soon anyway. But that puts me in sort of a similar position as the OP. Now reading this about DaVinci makes me wonder. If I build a new rig with the sole intention of using it for Resolve, does that mean I can more or less completely cheap out on the CPU, get a i3 or a budget AMD and invest what I save on the CPU in something like an NVIDIA TITAN Xp for the heavy lifting??
    The cats are watching us...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast