Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who in 2019 is still editing 1080?

Default Who in 2019 is still editing 1080?

I've toyed with the idea of upgrading the editing PC on numerous occasions Ö maybe "future proofing" at present, we donít have 4k tv, i donít have 4k computer monitor I donít have a 4k camera (apart from on my mobile)
    Current PC was built by Scan in 2011 (jeez, where those 8 years go) with just a motherboard replacement in 2015.
    Render times are acceptable but 1080p footage is laggy on the timeline If I hammer the grading and FX on more than a couple of video tracks.

could the old girl be upgraded or is a new build more cost effective?
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    I've toyed with the idea of upgrading the editing PC on numerous occasions Ö maybe "future proofing" at present, we donít have 4k tv, i donít have 4k computer monitor I donít have a 4k camera (apart from on my mobile)
    Current PC was built by Scan in 2011 (jeez, where those 8 years go) with just a motherboard replacement in 2015.
    Render times are acceptable but 1080p footage is laggy on the timeline If I hammer the grading and FX on more than a couple of video tracks.
    If you decide to replace, get something made for editing, not something off the shelf. I bought my last two terminals from this outfit: videohardware.com and I recommend their products.

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post

I have been building PCs for 15+ years. Every gaming PC i had, ever workstation i had, every PC in my businesses and for friends and family was built by me, and i can tell you right now - you will not be able to upgrade your 2011 PC, because nothing from that thing will be compatible with current gen hardware.
    In order to get a current gen CPU, you will need a current gen Motherboard. A current gen motherboard and CPU means DDR4 ram and your system has DDR3, so you cant use that either.
    I would even toss the PSU (power supply unit), because 8 years on that doesn't inspire reliability anymore especially if it was on the cheaper end.
    And if your video card is 8 years old, then that won't do you any good either.

So it's not a question whether you can upgrade (you can't). It's a question about what your budget is to build a new PC for video editing.
    Once you know your budget - then we can help you.

Blog Entries

enc, as RL_Sensei says, you'll end up replacing everything anyway. You could keep the case and PSU but an 8 year old PSU is likely to go pop soon anyway.
    Just to clear up a couple of comments from Diggers and RL_S: Scan are a repuutable firm who design and build fully cusomisable ranges of PCs specifically for certain applications (eg video editing) and they would not put in "cheaper end" components unless specifically requested by the customer. They are also very happy to talk through your requirements and they soak test the machines before shipping. My last one was delayed because they were not happy with its stability in testing so i know they do it.

My current PC (now thre years old - eeek!) was a customised version of one of their off their off the shelf customised systems. Customisation was basically replacing the mechanical storage drive with a PCIe 750GB (sounds small now) SSD to complement the SSD boot drive. However I knew i was going to add a couple of mechanical drives from my old system and they were more than happy to leave two power & data cables free rather than tidying them away to make installation a cinch.

For my previous PC I bought a motherboard/CPU/HSF/RAM combination that they pre-overclock and test which was a great way of ensuring everything was running OK without having to test extensively myself. They don't offer those packages any more, but i'm more than happy to get them to build the whole caboodle. It doesn't cost any more than building it yourself (once you factor in time sourcing components, delivery charges, build time etc) and it's not your problem if things don't work.

Quite honestly, whle they offer this service, I'll never go bacjk to building from scratch.
    Tim

And no one seems to want to answer the first question...?

Me, I'm still shooting and editing in 1080 half of the time.
    The cats are watching us...

I render 1080 but record 4k 8 bits. The quality and versatility of the higher res files is well worth it. Having 4 times the amount of data (4k vs 1080) makes an important difference in being able to touch up exposure and manipulate colors. So: shoot 4k for the extra color and pixel information, better response to grading, plus the ability to crop in post.

My camera can handle higher-res output via external recorder, but honestly I'm happy enough with the quality and versatility of the 8 bits 4:2:0 4k footage that I haven't bothered trying to make that work. I would however bother with higher-res if I wanted to export at 4k.

PC
    Definitely buy new. 3 reasons:
    1. Component compatibility is a pain if even possible
    2. Hardware is not meant to last forever. The older parts you retain are at risk of failure
    3. Buying pre-assembled has a built-in discount if you get a good deal

I'm happy with my current PC. I bought the local brand (PowerSpec) assembled by my local large computer store (I've been shopping there for a long time so I trust them). I bought a model that at the time was 6 months old on its way out. SSD, Ryzen 7, 16 GB ram and a GeForce GTX 1070. I expected to upgrade the RAM but it hasn't been an issue since my current video editor doesn't really use it (Powerdirector). I probably saved a few hundred compared to building it from scratch because I bought it pre-assembled and on sale.

A few more notes on price/performance recorded here:
    http://www.videoforums.co.uk/threads...152#post223152

Key specs for video:
    - Get an SSD drive for the OS, and consider a large enough SSD to hold your video working files, it can speed things up depending on how your editor works
    - Get a powerful video card. It can do a lot of the heavy lifting.

But check your video editor of choice for how it uses resources. For instance, I don't use Adobe Premier but people tell me it loves RAM, so if you edit using that you'd probably want 64 GB. Check also how it divides the load between CPU and GPU, it will help you make a decision on which of these calls for larger investment.

If I was buying a video editing PC right now (not having done any recent research), I may try to aim for a $1600 budget, for instance something like this (+ another large drive, and potentially more RAM)
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/...ing-desktop-pc

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    - Get a powerful video card. It can do a lot of the heavy lifting.

But check your video editor of choice for how it uses resources. For instance, I don't use Adobe Premier but people tell me it loves RAM, so if you edit using that you'd probably want 64 GB. Check also how it divides the load between CPU and GPU, it will help you make a decision on which of these calls for larger investment.
    Traditionally most NLE work is carried by the CPU and in my personal experience unless I start grading or animating my GPU does nowt for most of my editing work. This is probably also depending on the editor of choice though, I bet some NLE's utilise the GPU more than others.

In my personal experience Premiere doesn't need 64GB, I'm getting by perfectly fine on 16GB editing 4K material.
    The cats are watching us...

Grapes brought up an important point. Software NLE Editing systems (at least I can say this for sure for Davinci/Fusion) are now designing their systems to make more and better use of the GPU side of the terminal, so it is important to consider having a hefty GPU in whatever new unit you upgrade to. And, as someone mentioned previously, you're going to need to forget the notion of upgrading your current old terminal piecemeal. I only have three years on my latest custom-built terminal and it's starting to fall behind the curve already. I've had to upgrade the GPU already and, fortunately, I have more than enough RAM and iCor power to keep up for the time being, but at the rate technology is evolving, it will be obsolete in a few more short years (much like I already am).

Great video to watch in general, but this one is targeting After Effects max speed.

In general though - to max out After Effects you get the fastest single core speed CPU and max out RAM + NVMe SSD for caching.
    For Premiere Pro you need to go the other route with the CPU, as in get the most cores possible while keeping as high as possible single core speeds to not bottle neck AE usage.

Ok ok .. I'm getting the point it's not worth updating my 8 year old system.
    This is the spec was about £1200 in 2011.

intel core i7 unlocked
    2tb wd20earx sata3 hdd
    MEMORY 16 gb cmz16g
    edimax ew 7612pin pci e 300mbp
    POWER corsair 650w cmpsu
    sony bd 5300s blu ray
    ms wind home prem 64 bit oem
    Motherboard gbyte z68xp ud3p
    icy box ib 5.25 usb bay
    Graphic card 1gb msi gtx 560ti
    Os drive geforce 60gb ssd -bk
    antec three hundred case

motherboard replaced 2015
    With ...
    gigabyte z68 xp ud3

I'd be looking at roughly the same budget

Scans entry level editing system comes in at around the same price .. bit more with windows os installed.

3XS Evolve NLE HD
    Specification Overview
    Intel Core i5 9600K 6-core
    Professionally overclocked up to 5.0GHz
    16GB Corsair 2666MHz DDR4
    4GB NVIDIA GTX 1650 BLACK EDITION
    256GB Samsung 860 PRO SATA SSD - OS Drive
    512GB Samsung 860 PRO SATA SSD - Project Drive
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and 3 Year Premium Warranty
    Available for business rental; email corporate@scan.co.uk to discuss your requirements
    AWARD WINNING
    NEXT DAY DELIVERY
    PRIORITY BUILD OPTION
    PROFESSIONAL BUILD
    System Powered By
    Nvidia Geforce Intel Core i5 - Skylake
    Order now for delivery between
    Monday 20 May - Tuesday 21 May
    Price from £1324.34
    CONFIGURE

Am I going to see a huge boost in performance ?
    https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/custom/hd...rm-factors#anc

Really don't want to spend more for what is afterall a hobby !

Btw, I edit in premiere And don't use AE.
    Last edited by enc; 05-14-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast