Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genesis 1:2 Hermeneutics

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    If memory serves, my 'booming' voice has been a point of comment on some previous videos as well, not just from you, but from a couple of other British people, as well.
    I have commented on your voice in the past, but only ever in a positive way.
    On this recording though, both on fairly my cheap PC speakers and reasonably good quality (Sennheiser HD555) headphones I can hear a sort of "ringing"particularly around the sibilants which is remisiscent of noise reduction. As you didn't use any I'm ayt a loss. Is anyone else hearing this?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    On this recording though, both on fairly my cheap PC speakers and reasonably good quality (Sennheiser HD555) headphones I can hear a sort of "ringing"particularly around the sibilants which is remisiscent of noise reduction. As you didn't use any I'm ayt a loss. Is anyone else hearing this?
    Tim, you said 'noise reduction' ...oops. yes, that may be what you are hearing (I did not consider noise reduction as 'processing', but I guess it is). I did use it to quiet the sound booth ambient noise floor. OK, I will check the track clips and see exactly what 'plugin' elements are in there besides the light compression I'm SURE I added. I'm not an expert on Davinci Resolve's audio system's bells and whistles and it is quite possible I may have added something I should not have, or set it's parameters wrong. I'll let you know what I find and resolve accordingly. Honestly, I did not hear any ringing. At age 69, I guess I can't trust my ears anymore (or memory either, for that matter). Your ears are vindicated.
    Last edited by worddigger; 05-05-2019 at 04:05 AM.

3. Default

Noise reduction can, depending on how the effect is implemented, have an effect similar to low bitrate mp3 compression.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Noise reduction can, depending on how the effect is implemented, have an effect similar to low bitrate mp3 compression.
    Apparently! I'm learning something new everyday. I grew up in an analogue audio world, and finding out that digital audio processing has a unique set of pitfalls.
    Last edited by worddigger; 05-05-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Tim:
    I have bypassed the "Noise Reduction" plugin in the narration track and re-uploaded the video. Please see if that resolved what you were hearing. Just FYI: The "Default" setting for that plugin was -40 db which, I agree, was probably too tight. Anyway, let me know if that fixed it? (fingers crossed) Thanks

Blog Entries

To be totally honest I can't hear any difference.
    I came across this video about noise reduuction in DaVinci Resolve and the guy has quite a similar voice to you. Lo and behold, his voiceover suffers exactly the same problem (to my ears) as your does. Listen around teh "s"s and as he breaths in just before speaking - there's a slight "boxiness" or "ringing" around it. Can you hear it? I'm beginning to wornder whtehr this is a YouTube compression artifact.
    Tim

To be totally honest I can't hear any difference.
    I came across this video about noise reduuction in DaVinci Resolve and the guy has quite a similar voice to you. Lo and behold, his voiceover suffers exactly the same problem (to my ears) as your does. Listen around teh "s"s and as he breaths in just before speaking - there's a slight "boxiness" or "ringing" around it. Can you hear it? I'm beginning to wornder whtehr this is a YouTube compression artifact.
    Tim, considering the video is on Vimeo, it would be quite a stretch to call it a YouTube compression artifact (snicker). I'm with you, I could not hear any difference either. OK, this is actually a good trouble shooting/baselining exercise,because all that is left is the Davinci 'Voice Clip' plugin that defaults with a -25 db compression threshold and 0 db compression gain. However, in closely examining the the other bells and whistles in that plugin, I also noticed that the default settings included a slight high frequency pass boost setting and a mid-range boost. In addition, when I did disable that particular plugin (temporarily) for just hearing what it does, I DID notice a difference from the clarity of the flat and unprocessed audio. To me, that indicates that the default compression threshold may be a little too high, so I will try again and reduce that compression to about 10-15 db. In addition, I'll put on the really good cans and fiddle with those two boost controls, as well, and see if I can 'tune' my voice a wee bit, and try again. Stay Tuned!

OK, Tim, Listen to it NOW and let me know if the voice sounds better. If so, let me know and I'll give you and the forum the fix details and lessons learned.
    Digger
    Last edited by worddigger; 05-06-2019 at 12:46 AM.

Blog Entries

I detect an improvement, though I'd need a side by side comparison to tell how much. I'm beginning to think what I'm detecting as "processing" might be part of the sound of your mic. Amny chance I could have a sample of your untreated voice?
    Tim

I detect an improvement, though I'd need a side by side comparison to tell how much. I'm beginning to think what I'm detecting as "processing" might be part of the sound of your mic. Amny chance I could have a sample of your untreated voice?
    I think I can arrange that, but it won't sound too much different from what you now hear on the video.

I made the following changes: First, I reduced the compression threshold from -25 db to -10 db. Apparently the -25 setting was over-compressing, resulting in a 'mushy' sounding narration track. After changing to -10 db there was a very noticeable improvement in the dynamic range and the apparent loudness of the voice track increased, requiring that I lower the gain by about 5 db to compensate for the levels difference.

Note #1: Without any processing my natural voice peaks and the average speaking tones were loud but not quite balanced (at 0 db). With the heavier compression threshold (-25 db), the voice was not as loud and sounded mushy. Through experimenting, I found that that using only -10 db compression provided the best compromise between loudness and clarity and peak-limiting. Lesson Learned: Don't rely on software "defaults" - they are a good starting point, but individual voices require individual processing treatments.

After making those changes, I then had to go back and re-mix the music tracks to the voice level, as the music was now set too low in comparison to the narration track with its improved "head-room" and dynamic range. The results were an improvement in overall sound clarity and an increase in apparent loudness - both positive improvements.

Note#2: In response to your previous observation:
    "I came across this video about noise reduuction {sic} in DaVinci Resolve and the guy has quite a similar voice to you. Lo and behold, his voiceover suffers exactly the same problem (to my ears) as your does. Listen around teh "s"s and as he breaths in just before speaking - there's a slight "boxiness" or "ringing" around it. Can you hear it?"
    Here in the USA, those of us with legacy broadcasting announcing practices tend to 'work' a microphone rather close. That is, in a studio setting we will get up quite close on a mic to talk into it (thank God for wind and pop screens). Condenser microphones have a sharp bass roll-off curve. When you're working close-in, there is more bass in the voice envelope and higher pickup of the sybilence components, as well. For the best 'natural' speaking voice pickup, the person speaking should be further away from the mic when using a good condenser.

This effect may be what you are noticing. The microphone is not the problem, it's 'Pilot Error'.
    Last edited by worddigger; 05-07-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12