Thread: Removing fuzzy effect on black/dark parts of my footage

Default Removing fuzzy effect on black/dark parts of my footage

Hi I am wondering how to remove the fuzzy effect on the dark areas of my footage
    Here is a link to a sample of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcIUbup8YhY

If anyone can recommend how to avoid this in future also that would be helpful too please
    I used Gopro Hero 7's to record the footage at 1080p/30 FPS and no protune

Most of the footage I plan on recording in future will be in the same room or similar low light conditions so I really would like to find out how to fix and/or avoid this in future

Thanks

2. Default

Well, the probable solution is to use more light or a camera that can cope with the light levels you've got. What I saw didn't look all that bad. It appears to be a bit of low signal (dark area) noise and compression artifacts.

Quote Originally Posted by infinite View Post
    Hi I am wondering how to remove the fuzzy effect on the dark areas of my footage
    Here is a link to a sample of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcIUbup8YhY

If anyone can recommend how to avoid this in future also that would be helpful too please
    I used Gopro Hero 7's to record the footage at 1080p/30 FPS and no protune

Most of the footage I plan on recording in future will be in the same room or similar low light conditions so I really would like to find out how to fix and/or avoid this in future

Thanks
    Action camera's are notorious for struggling with low light. I agree with boulder that it really doesn't look too bad. You could increase the contrast and crush the blacks a bit which will just hide the fuzzy noise in deeper darkness... Not sure what it'll do with the rest of the clip's look though. My GP7 settings generally don't give me noise, maybe they'll work for you as well.

Firstly turn protune on
    shutter = auto
    ev comp = 0
    white balance = auto
    ISO min = 100
    ISO max = 400 <-- try setting this as low as possible, mine's on 400 for night time filming.
    sharpness = low <-- this is just software enhancement and I personally prefer to do that in my video editor rather than on the GP7 and to be really honest I hardly ever need the extra sharpening even then...
    colour = GoPro <-- I found 99% of the time this gets me the vibrancy just the way I want it so that saves me manual colour grading.
    RAW Audio = off
    mics = auto

It's mostly about the ISO locking though.... Hope that helps!
    The cats are watching us...