Thread: My IRL edit

Default My IRL edit

Hi, i just made a new video edit at my channel called "Aprecia La Vida/ IRL Edit" ( the clips & the music are not mine. I just downloaded to practice editing!) here's the video
    also in my channel i got another video called "Road Trip en Vieques Puerto Rico" that video i filmed with a GoPro Hero 5 Black

Hope you enjoy it guys!
    (Sorry if i'm bad at editing i'm just a newbie at this so in the future hope i get better)

Blog Entries

Firstly, there are some stunning visuals there, and the music is superb.

However, it is let down by the editing. You need to see what the "mood" of the piece should be and bear that in mind when cutting. You have some "jump cuts" which don't fit with the pace and feeling of the images and music. They jar, and bring the viewer back with a bump. Also when cutting from the sunset to the daylight lighthouse, then back to the sunset it is a violent cut, not in fitting with the mood. Did you really need that insert? I would suggest not. Cutting from dark to bright and back again is not relaxing.
    The cuts to the beat which follow ,work but the content is a bit confusing and the picture-in-picture edits are a bit gimmicky for my taste.
    Then you have quiet, contemplative images put to fast drum beats and exciting images put to the softer sections of music. If you are trying to create a counter-point I'm afraid it didn't really work for me. I'm not saying that the picture neads to slavishly marry-up with the music but, if you're going to create contrast, it still has to work together.
    I'm not saying it was awful, far from it, but that there are a few things which didn't quite work for me.

So, my opinion (and it is just my opinion) is that you need to "feel" more during editing and try to get more in contact with the mood of the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    Firstly, there are some stunning visuals there, and the music is superb.

However, it is let down by the editing. You need to see what the "mood" of the piece should be and bear that in mind when cutting. You have some "jump cuts" which don't fit with the pace and feeling of the images and music. They jar, and bring the viewer back with a bump. Also when cutting from the sunset to the daylight lighthouse, then back to the sunset it is a violent cut, not in fitting with the mood. Did you really need that insert? I would suggest not. Cutting from dark to bright and back again is not relaxing.
    The cuts to the beat which follow ,work but the content is a bit confusing and the picture-in-picture edits are a bit gimmicky for my taste.
    Then you have quiet, contemplative images put to fast drum beats and exciting images put to the softer sections of music. If you are trying to create a counter-point I'm afraid it didn't really work for me. I'm not saying that the picture neads to slavishly marry-up with the music but, if you're going to create contrast, it still has to work together.
    I'm not saying it was awful, far from it, but that there are a few things which didn't quite work for me.

So, my opinion (and it is just my opinion) is that you need to "feel" more during editing and try to get more in contact with the mood of the piece.
    Damn no one has tell me that & its really interesting that someone look at that from that point of view. I had never realized that detail, but it is good to know that this could improve this important detail. Thanks! for that point of view & opinion I definitive will keep that on mind lol, The next one I will try to feel better when editing