Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do I start?

Default Where do I start?

Firstly Hi, I am new to the forum, new to video editing.

I have joined as I have volunteered to video a talk/lecture for a relative. Having always been a keen SLR photographer and with no one else stepping up I was volunteered. Time is against me, I am filming this Thursday eve, and my relative would like the footage back ASAP.

So can I ask for advice please?

The subject matter is a lecture with a power point presentation lasting about 90 mins in a village hall.

My equipment. I have 3 or 4 capture devices, including ipad, 2 x iPhone X and panasonic HC-V180 camera. I am using three or 4 cameras so I can get different viewpoints.

Importantly I have 4 channel radio clip on mic so hopefully will get a good voice sound track from the speaker.

I plan to set all devices at 1080 and 30fps. One device will be placed on a tripod set to to record the entire lecture without stopping so that at the very least I will get everything, and that will also be used to receive the sound track.

I usually use PC with Win10, but do have an Ipad air 2 (no pencil). I have been googling and YouTube editing software and I am sort of decided to buy Luma Vision and do it on the ipad.

My relative only asked for a video of her lecture, did not ask for editing, not wanting movie quality or fancy effects. However her plan is to sell the lecture on DVD. But, 90 mins of everything will be horrid to watch, so at the very least it needs a basic edit and the crap cut out of it with some titles etc.

I am not being paid for this, it may be ages before I do any other editing, so don't want to spend 100s on software, when I have iMovie already or for £20 Luma Vision. But if I go that route as I do not have iPad pro or a pencil, its going to be fat finger editing on a small ipad2. But, if I went down the windows editing route I could use my PC, and I have two large split screens, I already do CAD drawings, but then I will need windows editing software.

But as my editing is to be simple, maybe my fat fingers and the iPad 2 air will be fine?

Editing together 3 videos of about of about 90 mins each and sinking one voice track is not going to be quick. So I need simplicity.

Any suggestions please?

And thank you in advance.
    Steve.
    Last edited by Dudley; 03-19-2019 at 02:36 PM.

2. Default

Editing on a tablet sounds like a nightmare.

Run all cameras continuously so you don't have to match a bunch of little clips (though some software can sync them up by the audio tracks). Do your best to color match them in the cameras. If the lights are LED then the best setting might be daylight/outdoor.

I'd recommend getting a separate audio recorder. Cameras don't make good audio recorders for various reasons, including AGC/ALC.

Get the slide show file so you can insert the images into the video. With a lecture that's generally the most important thing. You can cut to the person speaking once in a while just as a reminder. If they're using a laser pointer or the mouse as a pointer you might want to replicate that with animation. If you can't get the slide show file then it might be wise to use one camera to capture that full screen. Alternatively, you might be able to capture it directly from the computer's output, though that would require special hardware.

There are some decent free editors for Windows. I think one is called Da Vinci. I'm sure other members can fill you in on that.

Blog Entries

Good advice from bouldersoundguy who regulaly films bands with a multi camera setup, so he has some experience of this.
    You already know good audio is the most important.
    I think second most important is the presentation slides. I guess getting hold of these will be fairly easy. The great thing about them is they do no need to be synced (at least to to frame accuracy)
    If possible - and assuming it makes sense - make as much of the video as possible about the slides and the voice. Only cut to the speaker when the slides are irrelevant or where showing the speaker is important (like at the beginning or when they are waving thier arms about or delivering some humour or emphasis or expecting a reaction from the audience. i'm sure you get where I'm coming from. If this is feasable you could probably get away with just one wide and one close up camera on the speaker. This will make your life easier.
    Try to get some cutaways as well - and shots of the audience applauding, filing in etc.

Another free Windows editor is HitFilm Express, though I've no idea what its performance will be like with a 90 minute timeline (I find three streams of mixed HD/UHD on Vegas starts to drag after I've edited about 30 mins and that's on a fairly decent desktop)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Editing on a tablet sounds like a nightmare.

Run all cameras continuously so you don't have to match a bunch of little clips (though some software can sync them up by the audio tracks). Do your best to color match them in the cameras. If the lights are LED then the best setting might be daylight/outdoor.

I'd recommend getting a separate audio recorder. Cameras don't make good audio recorders for various reasons, including AGC/ALC.

Get the slide show file so you can insert the images into the video. With a lecture that's generally the most important thing. You can cut to the person speaking once in a while just as a reminder. If they're using a laser pointer or the mouse as a pointer you might want to replicate that with animation. If you can't get the slide show file then it might be wise to use one camera to capture that full screen. Alternatively, you might be able to capture it directly from the computer's output, though that would require special hardware.

There are some decent free editors for Windows. I think one is called Da Vinci. I'm sure other members can fill you in on that.

Thank you points taken. I was going to output the audio to one of the cameras, but because of what you said, I scrounged an old laptop with 3.5mm headphone and mic jack. I downloaded and installed some sound software to it and did a little test with the radio mics and it works , so I can now capture the audio file separately. Also now arranged that I can get the slide show and to edit that in.

But can I ask, Being 90 mins long, do you think I should break it up into say 4 bits? Have not seen a script as yet but I know there is going to be one interval. I can possibly arrange another one or two stops or breaks. I was planning to use a diy clapper board at the start to help me sinc the audio and video tracks, and if its broken into 4 bits with clapper at the start editing will be easier I am thinking rather than one 90 min run? I could then join them in a final edit.

Thanks Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Good advice from bouldersoundguy who regulaly films bands with a multi camera setup, so he has some experience of this.
    You already know good audio is the most important.
    I think second most important is the presentation slides. I guess getting hold of these will be fairly easy. The great thing about them is they do no need to be synced (at least to to frame accuracy)
    If possible - and assuming it makes sense - make as much of the video as possible about the slides and the voice. Only cut to the speaker when the slides are irrelevant or where showing the speaker is important (like at the beginning or when they are waving thier arms about or delivering some humour or emphasis or expecting a reaction from the audience. i'm sure you get where I'm coming from. If this is feasable you could probably get away with just one wide and one close up camera on the speaker. This will make your life easier.
    Try to get some cutaways as well - and shots of the audience applauding, filing in etc.
    Another free Windows editor is HitFilm Express, though I've no idea what its performance will be like with a 90 minute timeline (I find three streams of mixed HD/UHD on Vegas starts to drag after I've edited about 30 mins and that's on a fairly decent desktop)
    Thanks Tim.

As I replied to bouldersoundguy the presentation slides will be available.
    And you have convinced me to use just two cameras. I will set one up static on a tripod to capture the whole thing, and hand hold another to get close ups etc.

Thanks again. Steve.

6. Default

I'm not a fan of using the 3.5mm input on a laptop, but if you think it works okay, why not? Maybe split the mic's receiver to the laptop and one camera (but test first to check for issues like ground loop). Let the other camera capture room sound. I think I'd rather have the second camera on a tripod with a fluid head.

I don't think I would split the recordings up. Depending on the format and compression, they might get split up into several files anyway. One thing I've found is that at the AVCHD file breaks on my small cheap Sony cams there's a two frame dropout. But since they have dual mp4/AVCHD record I can fill those gaps in the AVCHD with the mp4 since they happen at different times (and much less frequently for the more compressed mp4).

Be sure to have some way to power the cameras as they might not go the whole time on battery. My Sony cams charge from USB, so I can use a USB cell phone booster battery to extend their record times substantially.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    I'm not a fan of using the 3.5mm input on a laptop, but if you think it works okay, why not? Maybe split the mic's receiver to the laptop and one camera (but test first to check for issues like ground loop). Let the other camera capture room sound. I think I'd rather have the second camera on a tripod with a fluid head.

I don't think I would split the recordings up. Depending on the format and compression, they might get split up into several files anyway. One thing I've found is that at the AVCHD file breaks on my small cheap Sony cams there's a two frame dropout. But since they have dual mp4/AVCHD record I can fill those gaps in the AVCHD with the mp4 since they happen at different times (and much less frequently for the more compressed mp4).

Be sure to have some way to power the cameras as they might not go the whole time on battery. My Sony cams charge from USB, so I can use a USB cell phone booster battery to extend their record times substantially.

Unfortunately I don't have much choice when I comes saving the audio track. Both camcorders are not best quality, neither has a 3.5 jack. My iphone X has a half decent camera but again no 3.5 jack only a lightning socket so I cannot use that to output the audio to either. I did get a TRRS to TRS cable to plug into the lightning to TRS iPhone dongle, but that didn't work for the incoming audio, but I can now charge and listen on headphones on it, so was worth getting. So the laptop is really my only option without further investment to capture the audio track from the radio mic.

Lighting could be an issue. I do not yet know what the lights are in the hall, not good planning I know but this is all last minute stuff as I wasn't even doing it until the other day. I am using the lecturers own Panasonic HC-V180 and my iphone X or Sony DCR-SX45E. I don't know if I can set the balance/colour temp on the iphone, but could possibly make sure the camcorders are set for the same hall lighting.

And good point on power for 90 mins recording. I will run all devices with mains lead attached. And I have tripods.

Steve.

8. Default

Be sure to use a tripod with an actual fluid head for the pan/tilt camera. A standard still camera tripod might make things a bit jerky. If the camera has a steady shot type feature it might be good to have that on.

The Panasonic camera is HD while the Sony camera is SD. I'd use the Panasonic for the fixed wide shot and the Sony for closeups to minimize the effect of lower resolution.

The Sony charges through USB, which means you could use a USB booster battery on that camera. That would make it easier to use where mains power is less accessible. I've picked up several USB booster batteries cheap at the local pawn shop. When I'm not using them on cameras they're handy for boosting my cellphone's battery. Note that the camera may see the battery as a connection to a computer and try to go into transfer mode. If you start the recording first and then connect the battery it will prevent that.

Blog Entries

Just to add - if you are moving a camera on a tripod, turn any Image Stabilisation OFF. This seems illogical until you realise it will fight with any camera movement resulting in jerky looking pans.
    Tim

10. Default

I wonder if it's different with different fluid heads (pro vs. consumer) and different implementations of stabilization (electronic vs. optical, pro vs. consumer), because I've had reasonably good luck using stabilization to smooth out pan/tilt work on a tripod. I would suggest experimenting to find the best setting with your specific gear. Actually record some footage and play it back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast