Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filming abroad

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    I've seen some international opportunities fly around on sites like Upwork. They are rare and generally ask from someone from the client's home land to accompany them to another place to film their shenanigans but it happens. I've recently done a factory shoot abroad... well still inside the EU but that was for a client who had found me on a freelance website. These sites are not exclusive to freelancers by the way or at least on Upwork there's plenty of agencies operating on there as well so you might find something that fits there.
    Thanks for the insight Grapes!
    I checked some of those sites and there might be some opportunities here and there. I will look in to it more.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    It seems to me Rob answered your question perfectly.

Just like you need to think like your audience when writing/producing a film, you need to think like your potential client when looking for work.

Imagine you're an organisation looking for a production company. What do you do?

You think of people you've worked with before and approach them..
    You ask other people/corporates who they've worked with before (ie ask for recommendations)
    You see examples of work you like and track down who made them.

In other words it's word of mouth and getting your work seen (the latter being particularly difficult)..

This is pretty much the same for any trade whether locally, nationally or internationally.

I doesn't seem unreasonable to expect someone who's run their own company for seven years to understand that.
    Tim,
    Usually i agree with you, but in this case - i have to disagree on some points and even your assessment!

Let's start with this "It seems to me Rob answered your question perfectly".
    No, he didn't! Far from it actually!

His main piece of advice was:
    Become an assistant to someone who is doing what you want... Work your way up through the ranks.
    I stated several times that own a production company, that alone implies that i run a business, which means i have monthly business operating expenses that outweigh ANYTHING an "assistant" could possibly earn! In fact, i hire assistants on jobs where i need them and they make a fraction of the production value!
    So essentially Rob's advice to me was - run your current business in the ground and bankruptcy by leaving it and become someone's assistant and then work your way up to maybe someday open your own production company again.
    That is IDIOTIC advice!

Judging from everything Rob has said, my guess is he is a career employee (someone who gets hired as part of a crew, by those who already landed a client), which means he has no experience running a business or finding clients himself.
    Which was pretty obvious judging from the advice he gave, but hey - tell me if i am wrong and i will gladly apologize!

Just as a side note, for future replies!
    I have owned multiple businesses for 15 years in several industries ranging from manufacturing, logistics, construction web design and now a production company. At one point in time i employed 150+ workers in 2 companies simultaneously, so it's safe to say i understand the basics of business!
    So, frankly, i don't need the "101 how to do business for dummies" version in replies!

His other remarks: "Make good videos & Get people to recommend you" are logical, they are also as clear to anyone as "wipe you butt after doing Nr.2", so i disregard those by default, because it was NOT WHAT I ASKED FOR IN THE ORIGINAL POST!

Coming to your conclusion:
    I doesn't seem unreasonable to expect someone who's run their own company for seven years to understand that.
    This is what i don't understand - how did YOU come to the conclusion, that i would not know how word of mouth works or what a clients perspective is?

Never did i say that i don't know or have troubles with finding clients in general.
    In fact, in my response to Rob i wrote - i am overworked as it is and i specifically want to change my quick turnaround clients for long term clients abroad (week long shoots or longer) - hence my inquiry about this topic as it is NOT something you can just google to find the answer to! In fact, most filmmakers and people in my network are still under the misconstrued impression that there is not enough in the world to go around for all and that they have to keep information like this secret.

I specifically asked how do INTERNATIONAL clients find other INTERNATIONAL filmmakers!
    IDK, maybe i was not specific enough, but to me a line like "how do international clients find filmmakers from abroad?" is kind of specific.
    I even stated the obvious ways like word of mouth, agencies, social media and so on, but i just think those are too unreliable or chance based, especially if you don't have a high international presence!
    So, essentially, all i asked was - are there any other methods that i am not aware of or that i should look in to !

I just don't understand how THAT LINE could possibly imply that all of a sudden i have no idea how to get ANY clients?! I am baffled, to be honest.
    Last edited by RL_Sensei; 03-19-2019 at 11:35 AM.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    I haven't traveled abroad for a client but I'm about to travel 2000 miles next month for a gig. From what I've read/seen and my experience is that these things in the media industry come from your network. Seldom someone gives away these opportunities to someone they found via a hiring process. Most people have their go-to people and try to get them to come with them.

The client that is flying me to the gig is not doing any research, not seeking quotes. He is not negotiating my fees or telling me at all how or what to do. There's a ton of trust there that was built through other projects. So to reiterate what others are saying, I don't know of any way to get abroad gigs any other way than the regular way you get most gigs in this industry. Expand your network, do great work and make people happy. Other than that, try to do those things more with the kind of people that have abroad gigs
    First of all - congrats on a gig like that!
    I am sure it will be fun and probably hard work.

Yeah, but reacquiring clients is a different thing. As you said yourself, you have already worked with that client and built trust, hence you are getting reacquiring jobs and possibly that client is referring you to others, which is the natural way our industry works.
    Obviously, once you have 5, 10, 15 or more clients like that, your network would be big enough where you would get jobs abroad on a regular basis.

Right now i would say i have a ton of clients locally, but only 3 regular ones abroad and those came from my network of friends and colleagues.
    The reason i made this topic was to see if there are other methods that i could look in to other then the obvious and organic ones.

My thinking always is - you can passively sit back and hope someone will reach out to you for a job, or you can actively create your own opportunities.
    I usually prefer the later one, as it is faster and more reliable.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    Good luck if you go properly full-time professional instead of just pretending online.
    Oh, yeah! Good one!

This is me just pretending! Never mind the 1/3 of gear that's currently on a shoot and all the lighting gear that's in my studio space next door.
    I guess i need all of that to pretend online!
    Trolls used to be better at this!

20190319_134459-2.jpg

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    My thinking always is - you can passively sit back and hope someone will reach out to you for a job, or you can actively create your own opportunities.
    I usually prefer the later one, as it is faster and more reliable.
    Yeah, I think that's the bottom line. I'm a firm believer that the only way to get ahead in this industry is to be working all the time, since most things are done via networking. You have to be meeting people and doing great work constantly in order to be seen and considered. So I think we are arriving at the same conclusion:
    If you want to do more of a particular type of media work, you have to get your foot in the door in as many places as you can that do that kind of thing. I believe in coming in even as a lowly-paid assistant if it gets you into the type of production you want, because it automatically creates a rare opportunity to network and grow.

Also, re: my client
    It's my best client and also has been the easiest thing in the world. I have worked plenty hard to try to earn business over 2 decades of working as a small consultant, but this client was no work at all. They were referred to me by a previous client that spoke highly of me, then I was given a chance to do good work and over time strengthen the relationship. Now they are doing well financially and they get me involved in whatever work is needed. I wish I could take some special credit but I didn't do any more or less than I do with anyone else, and like I said I didn't even have to make much effort to find them and sell them on my services. I guess it once again speaks to the power of networking and how it can sometimes be the key thing that matters (assuming you always put your best foot forward and try hard to do good work and make people happy).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post

Let's start with this "It seems to me Rob answered your question perfectly".
    No, he didn't! Far from it actually!
    I was referring to his first post.

His second post was in response to your sarcastic reply to his first, in which you did not come across very favourably.
    Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12