Thread: missing frames?

Default missing frames?

Win 7 home premium SP1
    Brinno TLC 200 Pro HDR Time Lapse Cameras

This is more of a pre-editing question....

I manage some time-lapse cameras. These are currently set to take a shot every 5 min from dawn to dusk whether something's happening or not (i.e. not motion sensitive) & each day's shots are automatically saved as a short movie. These have time stamps…a visible time counter so that I can see exactly what time something happens. I swop over the SD cards monthly, check through the clips, edit them down to the useful bits (VSDC free) then upload to YouTube

I can play them back on windows media player, but I don't rate it as an application & for various reasons would prefer to use VLC but, I've realised that if I play the clips back on VLC they end a few seconds before they do if I play them on WMP i.e. I'm not seeing the last bit of each movie & am potentially losing valuable images/data. I've tried SMPlayer but it’s the same as VLC, a bit of the movie’s lost.

Any thoughts on what’s going on &, more importantly, what I can do about it?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
    Win 7 home premium SP1
    Brinno TLC 200 Pro HDR Time Lapse Cameras

This is more of a pre-editing question....

I manage some time-lapse cameras. These are currently set to take a shot every 5 min from dawn to dusk whether something's happening or not (i.e. not motion sensitive) & each day's shots are automatically saved as a short movie. These have time stamps…a visible time counter so that I can see exactly what time something happens. I swop over the SD cards monthly, check through the clips, edit them down to the useful bits (VSDC free) then upload to YouTube

I can play them back on windows media player, but I don't rate it as an application & for various reasons would prefer to use VLC but, I've realised that if I play the clips back on VLC they end a few seconds before they do if I play them on WMP i.e. I'm not seeing the last bit of each movie & am potentially losing valuable images/data. I've tried SMPlayer but it’s the same as VLC, a bit of the movie’s lost.

Any thoughts on what’s going on &, more importantly, what I can do about it?
    Sounds very strange. You could try encoding in a different codec and/or container. Also when the file plays without loss in one player and with loss in another player it doesn't mean there's any missing data, it just means one of the players isn't set up right.
    The cats are watching us...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Sounds very strange. You could try encoding in a different codec and/or container
    I'm new to this stuff so what codec/container would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Also when the file plays without loss in one player and with loss in another player it doesn't mean there's any missing data, it just means one of the players isn't set up right.
    I've tried two players that seem to have data missing & one that doesn't.....how do I set them (preferably VLC) up right?

Thanks

I'm new to this stuff so what codec/container would you suggest?
    MOV or MP4 container with H2.64 codec is more or less the industry standard. You can try to convert the file you already have with Handbrake as well instead of running a whole new export. (www.handbrake.fr)

I've tried two players that seem to have data missing & one that doesn't.....how do I set them (preferably VLC) up right?
    Not a clue I personally only use the MPC-HC player and have never touched any settings for it.
    The cats are watching us...