Thread: Tripod ? Amazing new Mercedes promo

Default Tripod ? Amazing new Mercedes promo

Have a look at this amazing new promo from Mercedes Benz. All hand held and superb use of music.
    https://youtu.be/vsGrFYD5Nfs
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

An excellent short film. Rather ruined by the over-use of hand held shots. Great where it added to the atmosphere (eg little girl running, some of the carriage moving shots), off-putting when it just made me sea-sick (in the inn, opening shots)
    Tim

One man's opinion
    I would fire the DP that allowed this. Don't want to go into a mega rant, but like in any art form taste is what matters most, and the overuse of hand shake here is sickening. It's one thing to add character with some handheld use, another thing is to make it look like you stripped your rigged from all stabilization and handed the thing to an amateur to operate, then kept the footage out of spite.

What is being gained? Who in the audience sees every aspect of life as a series of chaotic short sequences? It is the same problem I have with fight scenes in action films of late. They've abandoned telling the story of the fight for instead showing you a series of feelings of chaos, despair and nausea. Handheld shots + fast tight cuts jumped the shark a while back and by now we are seeing new "cinematographers" try to outdo each other of who can be the most "action" tasteless hack. I find it unwatchable. Literally. I no longer go to the movies and have lost any interest in action films because of the handheld + editing choices.

BTW, here is a study on my points about action films. The issue is not just the handheld, but it is a big part of it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evQZLw33htE
    Last edited by jochicago; 03-10-2019 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    An excellent short film. Rather ruined by the over-use of hand held shots. Great where it added to the atmosphere (eg little girl running, some of the carriage moving shots), off-putting when it just made me sea-sick (in the inn, opening shots)
    Well it certainly set the cat amongst the pigeons with the old guard at the last Bolton Movie Makers meeting
    I even heard one of them grumbling about this "new" colour film malarkey
    Last edited by enc; 03-10-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post

BTW, here is a study on my points about action films. The issue is not just the handheld, but it is a big part of it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evQZLw33htE
    Interesting viewing and makes a good argument. I'm not sure it's releveant in the case of the Mercedes film not an action film as such) other than emphasising the trend towards fast cuts/shakey cam.

Nevertheless, I agree with your post in general (although I'm not quite as angry as you appear to be!)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Nevertheless, I agree with your post in general (although I'm not quite as angry as you appear to be!)
    Yeah, angry is the word. I try not to let it overrun my opinion when we discuss video techniques, but at a personal level I'm hugely disappointed with the direction of the industry. I'm pretty tolerant of techniques and styles, I have a view towards appreciating the art effort in all work, but just 7-10 years ago I used to be a big studio movie fan, but the current direction has ruined the enjoyment for me. Very little calls me to the big screen anymore. And action flicks are the worst. Paper thin stories, visually unintelligible and nauseating scenes. So it bothers me at a personal level because it killed a hobby of mine. I would happily trade all the CGI and cutting-edge camera techniques in the world for a simple return to good stories, told well and filmed professionally.

Back to the thread, I definitely think that the handheld grit has a place. Recently I've been experimenting with introducing some shake into fast paced cuts to balance against more steady/less exciting footage. Also in some very gripping transitions for short clips.

I do think that as an industry we are way overusing it, but it is also a feature of the current times in that video quality keeps climbing fast and people are used to pretty footage. So in an era of ever-reduced attention spans saturated with wonderful imagery, we need every technique to draw attention to online clips. I think this has a great bearing in the Benz film having decidedly terrible handheld shots in the first 10 seconds. You'll notice it tones down a fair amount afterwards. I also noticed in the comments and upvotes that most people don't fret about this as much or at all. Seems that the film was played as an ad on Youtube, and those first 7 seconds are designed to get people to keep watching instead of clicking to skip. To that effect, the nauseating footage seems to work very well in drawing viewers in.

Blog Entries

See, that's what happens when the woman drives. Ignores the gauge, runs out of fuel, goes in the pub, gets a man to do the work and then drives off.

And the hand-camera was crappy too.

You don't have to lay down tracks for every shot, or even use a steadycam but halfway-smooth hand camerawork should be well within the capabilities of anyone calling themselves a cameraman (or woman). Which means that the wobble-cam was done deliberately. Which means that the "artistic director" felt the need to add bells and whistles in order to pep it up. Which means that they weren't confident enough to rely on their script, actors, direction and skills to get them through.

And they're probably earning a lot more than I am, which is even more annoying.

Saw this on YouTube. Switched off. Where's the cars?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Saw this on YouTube. Switched off. Where's the cars?!
    Car ads long ago ceased to be about cars. They were about lifestyle aspirations. At least this dares to be different
    Tim

Blog Entries

Didn't you see? It was a Mercedes.
    Simple, plain, driven by the rich, drinks petrol.

'nuf said.