Thread: Adding searchable timestamps?

Default Adding searchable timestamps?

Hello,

Is there any way to add searchable timestamps for video tutorials? Let's say for example you have a video tutorial which is 2 hours long, I would like to add a time stamp at 20min "Explaining Compression", then at 30min " Explaining Automation" etc. Resave the video file but thereafter be able to search for these timestamps or tags somehow.

Currently I use avidemux and export each section of the video, renaming each exported clip. So basically I have a hundred of small clips which are a part of a longer video tutorial. This takes hard drive space and is not really time efficient.

Is this the best way of doing this or is there a way to create timestamps but be able to search for the timestamps thereafter?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by dexter View Post
    Hello,

Is there any way to add searchable timestamps for video tutorials? Let's say for example you have a video tutorial which is 2 hours long, I would like to add a time stamp at 20min "Explaining Compression", then at 30min " Explaining Automation" etc. Resave the video file but thereafter be able to search for these timestamps or tags somehow.

Currently I use avidemux and export each section of the video, renaming each exported clip. So basically I have a hundred of small clips which are a part of a longer video tutorial. This takes hard drive space and is not really time efficient.

Is this the best way of doing this or is there a way to create timestamps but be able to search for the timestamps thereafter?

Thank you
    You can create a (virtual) DVD that way you can indeed create scenes to which you can forward to. It also sort of depends on the final medium where you want to use it on. If it's meant to end up on youtube you just need to export it as one massive 2 hour file and then use custom links at specific times which you can then put into your video's description like (part 1: <custom time URL>, part 2: <custom time URL>, etc.)
    The cats are watching us...

Thank you for the reply! If I understand correct, I would have files which would work as bookmarks and when opened, the bookmarks will open the video at a specific time? What software would offer the "easiest" to do this?

This is not for youtube but for private use.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter View Post
    Thank you for the reply! If I understand correct, I would have files which would work as bookmarks and when opened, the bookmarks will open the video at a specific time? What software would offer the "easiest" to do this?

This is not for youtube but for private use.
    Yes DVD creation software would allow you to create a DVD image or folder and you can load that folder as if it where a DVD into a video player that supports this. Unfortunately I have no experience with this software so I can't recommend you anything in that regard.
    The cats are watching us...