Thread: Capturing a single frame fro a DVD

1. Default Capturing a single frame fro a DVD

Frequently I capture single frames in a video from the timeline in Premiere. This could be used as a still in the video or exported to use elsewhere. No problems at all.

I have been asked to extract a frame from a DVD I produced several years ago, so I imported the video into Premiere and captured the required frames as normal. However, when exported and saved, the frames now are approx 4x3 format instead of 16x9.

How can I capture a frame from the DVD and export it as its original format, please?

Thanks. Wynn

Quote Originally Posted by Wynn Stedders View Post
    How can I capture a frame from the DVD and export it as its original format, please?
    I would stretch it back out again using something like Photoshop. Or you could import into a 720p timeline and then extract from that (I've a feeling the export is wonky because of the pixel aspect ration of DVDs).

Blog Entries

Marc is correct. It sounds like Premiere is exporting the pixels as square which they are not in Widescreen Standard Definition. There should be something in Premiere which you can play around with for this (look for Pixel Aspect Ratio, Maintain Aspect Ratio or similar)
    Tim

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Marc is correct. It sounds like Premiere is exporting the pixels as square which they are not in Widescreen Standard Definition. There should be something in Premiere which you can play around with for this (look for Pixel Aspect Ratio, Maintain Aspect Ratio or similar)
    Thank you Marc & Tim. I had already stretched the frames using my photo editing programme (not Photoshop!!!) but I was hoping to learn the 'correct' way.

Tim. I will follow up your suggestions in Premiere and see what I come up with.
    Thanks again both. Wynn.