Thread: Compact camera: 4k, large sensor

Default Compact camera: 4k, large sensor

I'm looking for recommendations on the largest sensor on a compact 4k camera. Even a sports camera if someone makes one with a 1" or bigger. I thought by now that should exist, but I'm not finding a lot of options.

Why?
    It is not always convenient to carry a DSLR. The larger the body the bigger the accessories. Sometimes something simple wins, even a phone. But I'm constantly disappointed with the footage I get out of my Galaxy phone. It's hard to expect more out of a tiny sensor.

Advantages of a compact design:
    - Easier to use. Few controls to fiddle with, would be designed to use in auto mode
    - Smaller body, easier to keep around, goes on a small gimbal
    - Smaller/simpler lens, should allow for faster focusing and better integration into the body

I'm thinking my best bet in this realm is something like a large sensor point-and-shoot. Ideally a 4/3 sensor with a built-in 3x zoom lens for a bit of versatility.

Blog Entries

Sony RX100 of some flavour. 1" sensor and possibly too basic. Also very limited recording time in 4K (5mins initially which reduces with constant restarting). Depends what you're sahooting.
    Tim

I took a look. It's an impressive camera. As usual with these models, Sony sacrifices what could have been an amazing feature set in exchange for a very small body. The overheating is what keeps it from going past 5 mins (or worse if shooting for long periods or in hot weather), and the video autofocus is slow, a problem that already causes me struggle with my gear. I think perhaps the next one will hit it out of the park.

Overall it seems that technology is not yet as far along as I had hoped for the compact models and action cameras. Maybe next year.
    Last edited by jochicago; 03-03-2019 at 04:26 AM.