Thread: need advice on camera settings

Default need advice on camera settings

I have in the past been using a Panasonic G7 for my video footage. I use a Fuji XH1 for my stills work and want to try to get the benefit from the various extra features it has to offer. I`m getting on OK with the Fuji but have never fully understood the different frame rates and mbps settings I should be using. I have tried the high speed 200 mbps but the files are large and producing in PowerDirector takes an age. I like to shoot 4 k so am I losing much by using 50mbps, I only shoot for pleasure for friends and family now so would appreciate a few tips. You would think being a stills photographer for 50 years I would know what I am doing but it`s an age thing me thinks.
    Thanks for any tips
    Dave

Hi Dave,

What exactly is it you would like to get advice for?
    I understand it's regarding the frame rate and bitrate, but what exactly do you wish to know?

Frame rate are frame rates - you chose what you need for the given situation.
    If you'r in Europe then you will use PAL (everywhere where there are artificial lights), so that will be 25, 50, 100 fps.
    • With 25 fps you should have a shutter of 1/50 (180 rule)
    • 50 fps = 1/100
    • 100 fps = 1/200

Obviously you can shoot 24, 30, 48, 60 or 120 as well if it's a flicker free lighting situation like the sun for example.
    Thank you SUN for being flicker free !

Generally you want to shoot regular (talking) stuff on 25 fps and use 50 or 100 for slow motion shots. B-Roll looks especially good in slow motion plus it helps with stabilizing the footage.

For 4K the camera can only do 25 (or 30) so you are set there on default.

About bitrates.

I would chose the lower bitrates only for interview scenarios where there is not much movement. In that case the bitrate is not THAT much important.
    If you will start using low bitrates for B-roll, then your footage will lose too much quality and slow motion will look bad.

For 4K with the X-H1 i would only use the 200 Mbps (for moving stuff) because, well, it's 4K. The only reason to even use 4K is to have the best quality possible and lowering the bitrate nullifies the whole point of it.
    Same goes for fast FPS - you want the highest bitrates possible because slow motion needs them to look good.

Obviously i understand the storage and post-production issue with large files, but trust me - your max 200 Mbps is nothing compared to my 800 Mbps i shoot with on the Canon 1DX mk II.

I would wish to have something as low as that for interviews

Hiya
    Thanks for the reply. 30 and 25 fps seem to work fine and are easier to edit speed wise. I`ll shoot some 4k at 200 and see what the difference is for moving subjects. I have used the slo mo modes 2x,4x and 5 times for running water and streams in HD and that looks pretty good. I`ll carry on trying out the various things and thanks for the info. I have also noticed that hand holding video is superb with the XH1.
    Thanks again for coming back to me
    Dave

I shoot 4k, I view my videos on a non 4k monitor but sometimes view them on a 4k smart tv.
    I normally produce them at full HD, is the quality any better downscaling a 4k to full hd or could I be just as well shooting in Full HD from the start?? and getting the full view of any lens I use rather than the crop.
    Thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    I shoot 4k, I view my videos on a non 4k monitor but sometimes view them on a 4k smart tv.
    I normally produce them at full HD, is the quality any better downscaling a 4k to full hd or could I be just as well shooting in Full HD from the start?? and getting the full view of any lens I use rather than the crop.
    Thanks
    Dave

The quality is ALWAYS better when you shoot 4K and downscale to HD, because you are essentially squeezing a pixel to 4x it's size. That has the result that images look sharper and it also reduces noise because, well, same principle, the noise grain gets squeezed and becomes less noticeable. Also, 4K has much higher bitrates, therefore giving you better quality.

About the crop - that depends on what your specific needs are for a given shot. Do you need a wider angle or not. And the crop is no big issue - just put a wider angle lens on to compensate for it.
    That's if you have the lenses.

Thanks for the reply, OK that has sorted that out for me. I thought that might be the case, also I have noticed that grabbing a still image from video when needed does give good results from 4k. As far as WA lens are concerned my widest is the 10-24 Fuji with OIS so as long as I keep that with me I should and have been OK. If the equi of 15mm in 35 mm terms isn`t wide enough then I`ll have to step back a bit (provided I not on the edge of a cliff
    Thanks again
    Dave