Thread: One Minute (or similarly short) Films

Blog Entries

Default One Minute (or similarly short) Films

I help out running a film club for secondary students at a small school and this term we're getting the students to script and make a number of micro-shorts. Next Friday we'd like to show the some examples and I thought I'd put i a call here for examples - your favourite 1 minute films, please?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I help out running a film club for secondary students at a small school and this term we're getting the students to script and make a number of micro-shorts. Next Friday we'd like to show the some examples and I thought I'd put i a call here for examples - your favourite 1 minute films, please?
    1 minute? Yikes that's short. You might as well ask "What's your favourite commercial?"
    I'm really fond of short animations like "Simon's Cat" and "Creature Comforts" but even those are often longer than 1 minute...

**5 minutes later**
    So then I typed one minute film into a search engine and found out this is actually a thing and noticed a few top 10's amongst which I found only 1 that I actually knew so I guess that's something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=1ijTTyxyaKk

Looking forward to the other samples!
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

Thanks Grapes. I'd forgotten that film - a good one to show the kids.

Yes, 1 minute films are very popular. And they are a great way of honing your skills - and it is surprising how few stories require more than a minute to tell them. It is even possible to get character development in that short space of time. Possible, but beyound my capabilities. Just think of some of the great TV adverts that last 20 or 30 secs. I've even come across a 15 second competition. I can't find it online, but if you ever get a chance, look out for "Pants" by James Webber who took it as a challenge to get TWO gags into 15 seconds.

Here's one of my 1 minute attempts from yonks ago. Obviously it's easier to do a promo or advert type film - this was basically me getting to grips with Vegas as editing software.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Thanks Grapes. I'd forgotten that film - a good one to show the kids.

Yes, 1 minute films are very popular. And they are a great way of honing your skills - and it is surprising how few stories require more than a minute to tell them. It is even possible to get character development in that short space of time. Possible, but beyound my capabilities. Just think of some of the great TV adverts that last 20 or 30 secs. I've even come across a 15 second competition. I can't find it online, but if you ever get a chance, look out for "Pants" by James Webber who took it as a challenge to get TWO gags into 15 seconds.

Here's one of my 1 minute attempts from yonks ago. Obviously it's easier to do a promo or advert type film - this was basically me getting to grips with Vegas as editing software.
    Pants? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuKegjGowMg

Oh and nice going on the promo, lovely pace and use af screen space!
    Last edited by Grapes; 01-19-2019 at 09:08 PM.
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    That's the one. Dunno why i couldn't find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Oh and nice going on the promo, lovely pace and use af screen space!
    [/quote]
    Nice of you to say so. Thanks!
    Tim

at our club, we have an Anual 90 second film comp. not surprisingly its the most popular comp of the year attracting many entires.
    personally, I find the shorter the film the more difficult it is to produce. 3.5 to 5 minutes is my preferred time.

Sorry i dont have a minute film to offer you tim

many moons ago, didn't we have a comp on here to make a 1 minute advert for Digital Director ?
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

this isnt quite what you were looking for but its a great example i trhink ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2h35lAcATM
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Camcorder User magazine ( and later Digital Video Magazine) used to hold a 60 second competition every year... fantastic entries, of course I can't find any online at the moment but it was the most popular of all the competitions held.

Fantastic for students to get them thinking and creating.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    this isnt quite what you were looking for but its a great example i trhink ...
    As you say, a great example. In 30 seconds we learn about a character, empathise with him and go on an emotional rollercoaster. Thanks!
    Tim