Thread: The Dark-Side of the House

Default The Dark-Side of the House

Last night, while doing a technical analysis on some Osmo test footage in Davinci Resolve 15, I serendipitously stumbled on an OpenFX plugin in the software that is pretty cool. So, I played around with it and I'm sharing the results just for fun:

Blog Entries

Now that is rather cool. I can imagine this being used for POV shots from an Alien, Monster or Ghost. It works particularly well with the gimbal and i think it might also work well for those "urban discovery" or whatever they call them vids. The only problem I see is that it will immediately become overused and cliché.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Now that is rather cool. I can imagine this being used for POV shots from an Alien, Monster or Ghost. It works particularly well with the gimbal and i think it might also work well for those "urban discovery" or whatever they call them vids. The only problem I see is that it will immediately become overused and cliché.
    Unfortunately, that happens with everything cool. Then it is no longer cool.

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    Unfortunately, that happens with everything cool. Then it is no longer cool.
    It's a good indication that something really is cool though so for the time being.... use it as much and often as possible!

what's it called? I've done something similar in Corel Paintshop long ago I think it was called neon edge there but I guess it's probably just a name.
    The cats are watching us...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    It's a good indication that something really is cool though so for the time being.... use it as much and often as possible!

what's it called? I've done something similar in Corel Paintshop long ago I think it was called neon edge there but I guess it's probably just a name.
    In Resolve 15, it is called "EdgeDetect" in the OpenFX effects library. I also threw in the "Aperture Diffraction" effect to get the lights to act the way they did.

And, yes, I agree, I will use it again soon, next time: mit die Haustiere. They can be little monsters when they want to be.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Meh. I'll just stick with the shaky handheld camera. It's an awesome and professional looking technique that has never failed me. In fact, they need to make a plugin that makes steady shots look like that.

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    In Resolve 15, it is called "EdgeDetect" in the OpenFX effects library. I also threw in the "Aperture Diffraction" effect to get the lights to act the way they did.

And, yes, I agree, I will use it again soon, next time: mit die Haustiere. They can be little monsters when they want to be.
    Sounds good, looking forward to it!
    The cats are watching us...

kinda reminds me of the effect top of the pops used back in the day ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyMm4rJemtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef0IkXL5ESs
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Ahh, Hot Gossip. Excuse me while I take a moment .....
    Tim

Blog Entries

Some of those music videos are very similar to an effect called solarisation (or more correctly the Sabbatier Effect) on film which cost Pinewood Studios and Harrow Technical College an absolute fortune in the late 70s with a camera assistant (me) unofficially trying to get it right.

Good job they never found out about it!

And I never really got anything like a satisfactory result.

One thing which video does much better!

as for "Hot Gossip".... Phwoar!