Thread: 34" ultrawide monitor

Default 34" ultrawide monitor

Hi, community!

I am looking to buy a new 34" ultrawide monitor.

I am going to use it for video editing, and because it is offline editing and not online, I am ok with 3440 x 1440 res. I am trying to cap my spending at $800

I am thinking of going for the Dell UltraSharp U3415W, but I thought before going on and ordering it I should try and ask around for people's advice!

Thank you!!!!!

Something along these lines has been asked before: http://www.videoforums.co.uk/threads...ight=ultrawide

To the point I'd say there's no real use for ultra wide in editing. It's in my opinion more pleasant to have multiple monitors instead of one really long one. For $800 you can probably get two nice 4K monitors so why settle for a single stretched one?
    The cats are watching us...

If you don't care about color uniformity and brightness uniformity for professional work, then i am sure you can find an ultrawide or a 16:9 or 16:10 4K panel, but for $800 you won't find any monitors that could be considered pro level for serious video work.
    Picking a monitor is not an easy task. I spend 2 weeks researching every possible option out there before i picked one that suits my needs, but because my budged was 4x more then yours i did not look in at under $1000 monitors. From the top of my head i can't come up with a recommendation for that price range.

What i can tell you is - don't disregard the color uniformity and brightness uniformity for monitors (most people do).
    Actually those are some of the most important parameters, because any monitor can display accurate color Color Gamut these days.

The uniformity shows you if the monitor is displaying colors and brightness equally good in them middle of the screen and in the corners. Cheaper monitors (sub $1500) have a problem with displaying colors and brightness equally across the whole screen, meaning that your image will be brighter or more vivid in color or more accurate in the middle, but in one or more corners it might be darker or show a slightly different color hue.

That's (among other reasons) why pro monitors cost upwards of $5000