Thread: Movie Studio 15 platinum support for HEVC

Default Movie Studio 15 platinum support for HEVC

Hi,
    I have just bought the Gopro Hero 7 Black. The higher resolutions on this camera are encoded using HEVC rather than H264. So for example I took some clips at 2.7k 50 fps 4:3 and that is encoded with HEVC. I have a fairly powerful PC ( Intel i7 3770/16gb ram/SSD/Nvidia GeForce GTX 650) and usually have no editing problems with HD footage. My Windows 10 media player initially had some issues replaying the clips but having run them a few times it seems OK now.....it has the Device Manaufacturer HEVC codec patch loaded.....seemed to need time to learn!!? ( VLC will not play the clips at all!!)

So onto my problem. When I load the HEVC clips into Movie Studio the replay is very hesitant...even with the preview screen turned right down to draft. Not really possible to edit in that state. The first time I loaded a HEVC clip I got a message saying something like " Enabling HEVC". So it runs, but not very well.

Any suggestions how I can improve it?

thanks

Mike

Maybe try reinstalling your codecs? I'm on a slightly newer system but still quite comparable and have no HEVC issues yet so with a bit of luck it's just software stuff.
    I'm getting mine from the K-Lite codec pack with MPC-HC instead of VLC player. Could give that a shot as well.
    The cats are watching us...

Read "Creating proxy files for high-definition editing" in online Help (F1) of VMS 15 Platinum. See if the suggestions there help. You can also choose to "automatically create video proxies" in Options, Preferences, Video. I tested with a short GoPro Hero 7 4K 60 sample file and the preview was smooth with that. (A modest laptop with Intel i5/GPU GTX 1050).
    If you have a lot of time you could read more discussion elsewhere in this thread https://www.vegascreativesoftware.in...ro-16--113372/

Btw, my VLC played that sample file well, so you may have different types of files.
    And I'd think atleast twice before installing 3rd-party codec packs. I've seen too many threads with reports of them "destroying the Vegas codecs and screwing up Windows registry values" (quote from MSZ forum's main man).
    Last edited by vkmast; 01-14-2019 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    And I'd think atleast twice before installing 3rd-party codec packs. I've seen too many threads with reports of them "destroying the Vegas codecs and screwing up Windows registry values" (quote from MSZ forum's main man).
    Doesn't VLC come with it's own "third party" codec pack just as well?

AFAIK, the codecs with VLC do not interfere with Vegas Pro/Movie Studio. Re K-lite, admittedly there are those who "never have had an issue with Vegas" and blame those who do that "those people probably don't have their codec packs set properly". Anyway, at least install your K-lite before Vegas/Movie Studio. Again, if you have a lot of time you could read https://www.vegascreativesoftware.in...please--98069/
    Last edited by vkmast; 01-14-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Might be that I don't know enough about codecs. I always thought that you basically had them in your operating system or not and that the editors just search which ones are installed on startup. Other than that I only know that weird playback is sometimes linked to either conflicting codecs, wrong codec configuration or settings within the editor. VLC is always mentioned to me as the "play it all" player so as soon as I read that it doesn't play back there I become suspicious of the codec setup. If you can have different codecs for different programs things will become a bit more complicated though .

Hi thanks....yes I have used the proxy editing....I was just trying to avoid that because the proxy files ( using Draft/preview) are pretty poor resolution and make the editing process unpleasant compared to using good quality clips. The proxy editing works fine. I had got used to Vegas working pretty well without having to use the proxy process...but at least with v15 it fairly automatic.

ps there are some alternative workflows using DI files rather than proxy if that is of interest to any other Gopro Hero 7 Black users on here.

1. Gopro actually creates its own "proxy" files alongside the mp4 files. The files have a .lrv extension. It is these files that are used to view clips on the Gopro LCD screen and also when connecting via wi fi to the GoPro App. These files can be used load into an editor and edit and then once complete the mp4 files can be substituted for the .lrv files. It involves a bit of messing a round with file extension names etc though.
    2. GoPro studio can also be used to create DI files ( Studio is in fact the old Cineform program)...then those files ( .avi) format loaded into an editor. This works well for high resolution Gopro output but unfortunately it does not accept files encoded with HEVC ( or my version does not). A workaround is to use Handbrake to convert the HEVC files to H264....then load into Gopro Studio.

Happy to expand on these workflows if anyone is interested
    Last edited by mikerb; 01-18-2019 at 11:27 PM.