Thread: Editting Gopro movies on an android tablet

Default Editting Gopro movies on an android tablet

Hi,

The questions are:

a. Can a budget (100) android tablet reasonably efficiently do simple movie editing when the captured footage is a lot of gigabytes from e.g. a gopro?
    b. Software recommendations for (a) ?

The background to this question, in case it helps:

I'm a windsurfer who uses a Gopro to capture sailing sessions.

Typically a short session might be several gigabytes of streamed footage, out of which I'd like to extract a minute or 2 of important/exciting/relevant action as a little home movie so I can track my progress learning new moves etc.

At home I take the raw footage and just use MS Movie Maker software to edit it down to the bits I want. I do this on a desktop PC, or a powerful notebook PC.

I'm going abroad and I'd like to be able to edit down footage while away, but I'd rather not take my notebook PC with me. I wondered about buying eg a 10" Android tablet to take with me. These are available for around 100 so in the context of the overall cost of my sport that wouldn't be an issue. It is a fraction of what the Gopro costs!

But I'm not sure how well this will work practically. A typical cheap Android tablet can take a large capacity micro SD card so getting the raw footage visible on it isn't an issue. But these budget models typically have max 2gb of RAM and I'm wondering if that will be a significant issue when trying to edit the footage. even a real premium tablet will come with only 4gb of RAM Is the software typically clever enough to not need the whole movie in memory at the same time when you do the edit?

If this is practical can anyone recommend decent Android movie maker software broadly equivalent to the MS product? Not averse to paying a few for the correct package if it makes editing the raw stream quicker and easier.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Kiosk View Post
    Hi,

The questions are:

a. Can a budget (100) android tablet reasonably efficiently do simple movie editing when the captured footage is a lot of gigabytes from e.g. a gopro?
    b. Software recommendations for (a) ?

The background to this question, in case it helps:

I'm a windsurfer who uses a Gopro to capture sailing sessions.

Typically a short session might be several gigabytes of streamed footage, out of which I'd like to extract a minute or 2 of important/exciting/relevant action as a little home movie so I can track my progress learning new moves etc.

At home I take the raw footage and just use MS Movie Maker software to edit it down to the bits I want. I do this on a desktop PC, or a powerful notebook PC.

I'm going abroad and I'd like to be able to edit down footage while away, but I'd rather not take my notebook PC with me. I wondered about buying eg a 10" Android tablet to take with me. These are available for around 100 so in the context of the overall cost of my sport that wouldn't be an issue. It is a fraction of what the Gopro costs!

But I'm not sure how well this will work practically. A typical cheap Android tablet can take a large capacity micro SD card so getting the raw footage visible on it isn't an issue. But these budget models typically have max 2gb of RAM and I'm wondering if that will be a significant issue when trying to edit the footage. even a real premium tablet will come with only 4gb of RAM Is the software typically clever enough to not need the whole movie in memory at the same time when you do the edit?

If this is practical can anyone recommend decent Android movie maker software broadly equivalent to the MS product? Not averse to paying a few for the correct package if it makes editing the raw stream quicker and easier.

Thank you!
    I very much doubt it but I never tried so am not sure. You will probably have more success with a tablet around the 300/400 mark. I've bought one about a year and a half ago from some Chinese brand I'd never heard of called Teclast. It hasn't disappointed me so far and came with a decent CPU and 8 GB for about $250 on GearBest in a flash sale. Mind the import duties though. Sometimes you can get lucky and they'll have a few in a warehouse in the UK, also saves you heaps of shipping time. There's similar brands out there that offer a lot of bang at a low price so if you have a bit of time you could go and compare a few brands and their top tablets in your price range.
    I would try to settle for something with more than 4GB of RAM and a decent CPU. You'll have to do some research though.
    I doubt many of the members have ever tried editing on an Android device. You'll probably find a decent editor faster by doing a web search checking a few top XX lists. According to the one I just read "ActionDirector" is one of the few editors that even handles 4K so that's probably something to keep in mind as well I guess.
    Good luck with the search!
    The cats are watching us...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    I very much doubt it but I never tried so am not sure. You will probably have more success with a tablet around the 300/400 mark. I've bought one about a year and a half ago from some Chinese brand I'd never heard of called Teclast. It hasn't disappointed me so far and came with a decent CPU and 8 GB for about $250 on GearBest in a flash sale. Mind the import duties though. Sometimes you can get lucky and they'll have a few in a warehouse in the UK, also saves you heaps of shipping time. There's similar brands out there that offer a lot of bang at a low price so if you have a bit of time you could go and compare a few brands and their top tablets in your price range.
    I would try to settle for something with more than 4GB of RAM and a decent CPU. You'll have to do some research though.
    I doubt many of the members have ever tried editing on an Android device. You'll probably find a decent editor faster by doing a web search checking a few top XX lists. According to the one I just read "ActionDirector" is one of the few editors that even handles 4K so that's probably something to keep in mind as well I guess.
    Good luck with the search!
    Thanks for the response. As an experiment I've ordered a 4gig Android 7.0 Teclast from a UK warehouse on ebay, therebye avoiding long delivery times and import tariffs. It cost 120 (I know this is under your suggested budget) so I will see how good a job it is capable of. Even if it can't do this particular job I can probably use a "throwaway" tablet for some other things and I won't be so scared of losing it or having it stolen, and it isn't so heavy in my hold luggage as a serious notebook PC.

I will let you know if it is capable of doing simple video edits on the gopro streams, as you never know, someone else may be interested at some point.

Oh nice, I'm really looking forward to your conclusions. I mostly use mine to watch movies for a few hours on long journeys. 4K playback is no problem for it but editing is probably a bit more taxing.

You do not say which Gopro you are using but the simplest and quickest way to create short edited videos of your exports is with the Gopro APP and Gopro Quik…...and you only need an iPhone or decent Andriod phone/tablet to do that. I would stick to sensible resolutions such as 1440 or 2.7k if you have Hero 6 or 7 Black. Forget 4k...its all hype as far as action cam use is concerned....OK on a tripod on a bright day but that's a bout it!

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    You do not say which Gopro you are using but the simplest and quickest way to create short edited videos of your exports is with the Gopro APP and Gopro Quik…...and you only need an iPhone or decent Andriod phone/tablet to do that. I would stick to sensible resolutions such as 1440 or 2.7k if you have Hero 6 or 7 Black. Forget 4k...its all hype as far as action cam use is concerned....OK on a tripod on a bright day but that's a bout it!
    I personally don't agree with the 4K bit there. At 60 FPS the GP7's 4K action footage looks really decent if the camera operator has chosen the right settings for the situation. The internal software stabilisation also does quite an amazing job for what it is. With that I don't really feel the need for a tripod or even a gimbal at all. Low light is indeed a bit of a struggle but with the right settings you can still get some nice results in some situations.

Hi Grapes

the OP is a windsurfer. I have used Gopro for over a decade mostly for Windsurfing but also MTB and kayaking. Both windsurfing and MTB provide a huge amount of the frame that is constantly moving ( water!) further aggravated by the rough ride at any speed in both scenarios. Both benefit from a fast FPS ( 50/60) far more than a higher resolution. I have yet to test my Hero 7 Black for windsurfing having just bought it but with my Hero 5 Black 1440/50 works well provided the light is good and it is not late summer/winter when the sun is really low ( if there is sun!) which makes for huge amounts of glare. For poorer light 1080/50 or 60 is better. I have tested my Hero 7 Black in far less demanding conditions, handheld and walking/jogging. In typical winter light....white sky.....2.7k 50/60 copes OK.....4k even at only 25/30 does not.
    The guy is also talking a bout editing on a tablet!! Anything above 2.7k /60 16:9 is encoded using HEVC which brings its own problems. Even 2.7k/60 will struggle on a typical tablet. So all in all he is better sticking at 1080 or 1440.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    Hi Grapes

the OP is a windsurfer. I have used Gopro for over a decade mostly for Windsurfing but also MTB and kayaking. Both windsurfing and MTB provide a huge amount of the frame that is constantly moving ( water!) further aggravated by the rough ride at any speed in both scenarios. Both benefit from a fast FPS ( 50/60) far more than a higher resolution. I have yet to test my Hero 7 Black for windsurfing having just bought it but with my Hero 5 Black 1440/50 works well provided the light is good and it is not late summer/winter when the sun is really low ( if there is sun!) which makes for huge amounts of glare. For poorer light 1080/50 or 60 is better. I have tested my Hero 7 Black in far less demanding conditions, handheld and walking/jogging. In typical winter light....white sky.....2.7k 50/60 copes OK.....4k even at only 25/30 does not.
    The guy is also talking a bout editing on a tablet!! Anything above 2.7k /60 16:9 is encoded using HEVC which brings its own problems. Even 2.7k/60 will struggle on a typical tablet. So all in all he is better sticking at 1080 or 1440.
    Good points. I was mostly stumbling over the hyped bit and I must admit I haven't shot under comparable circumstances (yet). What helped for me a bit when it's night or overcast is to lock the ISO down to max 400 but I can't deny it's best in full sunlight. No surprise there either since the sensor's ridiculously small. Perhaps I'm also not too picky on the results
    I haven't yet had any problems with HEVC from the GoPro though neither have I tried to edit it on a tablet to be fair. Still I'm really happy with the 4K results so far and I can only imagine it getting better. Maybe we'll see a 6K GoPro in 3 years?