Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First shot: All Resolve 15 work and BMPCC

Default First shot: All Resolve 15 work and BMPCC

After completing the DaVinci Resolve 15 training course (and learning about a squat-load of available Color tools and how to correctly apply them), I went back and pulled up some Blackmagic Design pocket cinema camera footage from last summer and re-built a cave tour video from last year as a practice exercise - this time, doing all the work exclusively in Resolve 15. Frankly, I was impressed by the end-result color quality of the footage as compared to what I did before, so I'm sharing it just for FYI (assuming you remember the earlier version from 5 months ago). This version is shorter and moves quicker, so you only have to suffer through about 2-minutes worth.

Keep in mind that this footage was shot with an older BMPCC camera version (1080p) using the Pro-Res HQ format for maximum color information in recording, which gave me a lot of latitude in properly color-correcting the footage. The Lens was a Nokton 17.5mm F 0.95 manual focus and I used ONLY the ambient lighting within the commercial cave (NO external or camera-mounted lights) and it was shot hand-held w/o the benefit of a mechanical stabilizer (which is clearly evident), BUT, I was able to apply some stabilization of the individual clips within Resolve during the correction process. Anyway, I'm very happy with using Resolve 15 vs. Premiere Pro and glad I made the switch.

NOTE: For the benefit of those looking for a great editing software (for free), here is a link to the product: DaVinci Resolve 15 (go to bottom of page for free download). I use the full-powered paid version (which includes noise correction), but even without that the free version is extremely powerful, as is.
    Digger

Haven't seen the original as far as I can recall but tyhis is nicely done in any case.
    The cats are watching us...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Haven't seen the original as far as I can recall but tyhis is nicely done in any case.
    Having now established that the BMPCC camera itself is capable of delivering a quality picture in low-level ambient light in a commercial cave tour setting (when using DaVinci Resolve 15 to bring out the full potential of the captured imagery), my next goal is to overcome the challenges of shooting more steady footage in such a confined and equipment limiting environment. Since hand-held shooting while moving through such an environment is handicapped by the necessity to be constantly moving through very uneven terrain, and the use of a hand-held stabilizing gimbal rig is constrained by the narrow and winding passages with little room for manoeuvring, I need to find a way to overcome this shooting handicap.
    helmet.JPG

In my next phase of cave-filming experimentation, I intend to test out the Glide Gear POV-100 camera rig with that the same BMPCC camera (see link for specs and video). The advantages I see with this type of camera mounting are: 1) It will put the camera directly in front of my view at all times, allowing me to frame the shots with my head and using my head and neck and whole body as a form of stabilizing and pointing system, 2) It will free both my hands to be able to more easily trim the lens focus and work the controls, 3), The camera viewfinder will be in front of my eyes at all times, yet I can glance down and see where my feet are going without affecting the camera pointing (with a little practice), 4) The helmet will protect my head (but, unfortunately not the lens), and the helmet can also be fitted with an external light to give additional point illumination on the immediate subject of the camera framing. Those should all be plus factors. The possible downside will be sore neck muscles and increased visits to my Chiropractor's office between shoots.

Nice! I'm looking very much forward to the results! I would feel very over-conscious wearing such a contraption in public but I bet it's worth it

Nice! I'm looking very much forward to the results! I would feel very over-conscious wearing such a contraption in public but I bet it's worth it
    These days? Naw! I'm looking forward to seeing the results too. The helmet will arrive next week. I'll spend some time playing with it around the house, make sure I have it properly counter-weighted, and shoot some test footage indoors to identify any unanticipated issues before I head back to the caves. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    These days? Naw! I'm looking forward to seeing the results too. The helmet will arrive next week. I'll spend some time playing with it around the house, make sure I have it properly counter-weighted, and shoot some test footage indoors to identify any unanticipated issues before I head back to the caves. Stay tuned.
    OK, the helmet arrived today. I did the initial assembly, adjusted for fit, and mounted the BMPCC: (click picture to enlarge)

TheHelmet.jpg

I shot some preliminary test footage (which I will not show). Walked upstairs and around house to simulate moving and filming in a cave environment. RESULTS: Good news - 1) I can do it safely and see where my feet are placed, 2) Helmet with camera load is comfortable enough to tolerate for extended filming session. Bad news - 1) Unable to see camera viewfinder or camera controls this close to face, although I could easily manipulate the record button and adjust focus and iris rings on lens with free hand, 2) Stability better, but still not good enough for intended use. BIGGEST REMAINING PROBLEMS: Although BMPCC Camera and fast lens will provide the best picture quality and low video-noise under low-light conditions, this particular camera and manual lens combination presents focus-control problems, requiring constant hands-on attention, but without ability to clearly see viewfinder, this is problematic. Also, short battery life and limited media storage capability on SD card (which requires frequent changing of both), also demands physically removing the camera from the helmet mounting to accomplish. I had the same issues with this particular camera using a hand-held gimbal stabilizer rig.
    VERDICT: back to the F@&#ing drawing board.

What I need is a Camera-Lens combination with A), The color and image quality (and low-noise video capability) of the BMPCC camera, and, B) The portable gimbal size and stability of a DJI OSMO camera head (but without the image quality limitations and necessity to use it with a cell-phone). I'm open to recommendations.

Maybe a Z-Cam e2 or a GH5s which are probably most like the BMPCC in terms of colour and image quality. I'd even say I prefer these options in terms of noise based on the comparison video I found on YouTube. Oh but the e2 has no viewfinder so that's probably off the table then... unless you pair it with some nifty video goggles

Maybe a Z-Cam e2 or a GH5s which are probably most like the BMPCC in terms of colour and image quality. I'd even say I prefer these options in terms of noise based on the comparison video I found on YouTube. Oh but the e2 has no viewfinder so that's probably off the table then... unless you pair it with some nifty video goggles
    Thanks, Grapes, for the camera suggestions to look into. I did find a possible Gimbal solution that would allow me to mount a small stabilizer to the helmet - EVO SS Wearable - that will hold small action cameras such as the "Heros", Yi Action Cam, Yi 4K+ Action Cam and Garmin Virb Ultra 30, but I'm not too keen on the picture quality hopes of those particular makes of small cameras. Still, the EVO Gimbal looks promising as a very affordable and convenient solution to overcoming the stability issue. I will now research and see if any of the cameras you listed can be mounted on that EVO Gimbal. I'll let you know what I find. Again, thanks for the leads.

Oh that's a cool gadget! I doubt my suggestions will be light enough though. The action cams have very poor low light performance I can testify to that. Looking forward to your next update!

Oh that's a cool gadget! I doubt my suggestions will be light enough though. The action cams have very poor low light performance I can testify to that. Looking forward to your next update!
    I've got an inquiry into the makers of the Gimbal to ask if it will work with the Z-Cam e2, or if they have something else that will. The GH5 is too close to the BMPCC type configuration, which I know won't work. But, the Z-Cam, because it is cube shaped, may come close, if used with a very short lens (but that camera is an expensive little sucker, to say nothing of the required 'card' for the memory). I have a sinking feeling that the combination I need (mountable stabilizer and quality camera/lens combo), may not be something that can be paired-up using what is commercially available, at present.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast