Thread: What is this technique called and how did they do it?

Default What is this technique called and how did they do it?

Hey all,

I saw this really nice piece of editing and I'd love to know how it's done, what the technique is called, it's really cool so I would love to play about trying to do it. Thanks, link below.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfLVVJOuY5M&t=42s

Quote Originally Posted by Benjitol View Post
    Hey all,

I saw this really nice piece of editing and I'd love to know how it's done, what the technique is called, it's really cool so I would love to play about trying to do it. Thanks, link below.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfLVVJOuY5M&t=42s
    I don't know what it's called or if that effect has a name, but...
    That's fairly advanced stuff done in After Effects using a couple of techniques and most likely together with the Twixtor plugin from RE:Vision Effects.

What i see is a 3D super slow motion effect.
    It theory - how i would recreate this effect on my first attempt.

1. Shoot everything in 120 fps.
    2. Put the footage in the timeline, apply Twixtor plugin and slow down the jump moment (the rider in the air) to however slow you need and Twixtor can handle without breaking apart.
    3. Mask out the slo-mo jump and precomp that (obviously mask out inside the wheels as well).
    4. Create a new comp, put in the same original footage and the slo-mo precomp we just made.
    5. Do 3D motion tracking on the scene (original footage) and attach the slo-mo jump to a tracking point and position it exactly where the regular speed footage jump will meet the slo-mo jump.
    6. Change the opacity of the slo-mo jump and reset it the moment the regular speed jumps in to it. Trim the rest out after that.

These are just bullet points. There's more to it and it would take a few hours to get the effect perfect, but that's where i would start experimenting.

Thank you that makes sense - I'll give it a stab but more advanced than I've done before. Thanks for the help and insight.

Thank you that makes sense - I'll give it a stab but more advanced than I've done before. Thanks for the help and insight.
    Let us know if you come up with something.

You might want to use a second camera in order to switch between the two viewpoints adding some confusion for the viewer which helps to obfuscate imperfections making it appear more dazzling.
    The cats are watching us...

Good point Grapes, about the 2nd camera and the cats.

Will be attempting and playing with it in the next few weeks. Will get back to you if it's presentable

the cats.
    There's one staring me down right now, it's haunting... (but sooooo fluffy!!!)

P.S. & OFF TOPIC why are there emoji's for a , a , a, a , a , a , a but no cat's and dogs? :(
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

Just going off tangent a bit here, yes, it's a really cool effect but what does it add to the narrative? If anything (for me) it detracted from the skills shown by the cyclists.
    Tim