Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any suggested free video editor?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    Because i dislike 3 things - laziness, ignorance and stupidity!
    Please think on these 3 things:
    1. Stop looking down on ignorance stemming from a user that came to a forum with the intention to learn. This person is actively trying to advance from the ignorance stage. Why hit them when they are working on it?

2. Careful not to see laziness when there's lack of ability. Not everyone knows how to use every tool, or thinks of using them at the right time. For all you know this person could be coming from a non-internet background, on their first laptop, thinking "alright, I'm going to work hard and teach myself video. First thing, I'm going to join a thoughtful community and seek help".

3. Stop making assumptions on people's stupidity, and generally your life interactions will play out much better. Intelligence is not a linear thing. One might be bad at communicating what they are trying to do, yet brilliant at executing it once they understand. Or any other of a hundred combinations.

My wife says that I always give the benefit of the doubt or presume too much good in people. Well, what happens when you encounter someone that deserves that treatment but you denied them for not wanting to presume? I'd rather give people too much credence vs coming down on the person that deserved more patience.

Honestly, I'm not trying to annoy you. I'm asking you to soften your stance in life, in general. Take it easier and things will work out, and you'll be happier for it, as well as the people around you.

I promise you I've asked plenty of stupid questions in my life. I've also answered at least a couple thousand threads in forums over the years. I'd hate to be put on the spot when it's been my turn to say something stupid, and I'd hate to be the one that does that to someone that took a misstep.

2. Default

You have valid points, in general, but....

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    1. Stop looking down on ignorance stemming from a user that came to a forum with the intention to learn. This person is actively trying to advance from the ignorance stage. Why hit them when they are working on it?
    Did he/she though... come here with the intent to learn? Because to me it looked more like: "Tell me the best free software, because i am too lazy to find out myself, and then i am out of here" kind of situation.

2. Careful not to see laziness when there's lack of ability. Not everyone knows how to use every tool, or thinks of using them at the right time.
    Well, YES. But, we are talking about something as simple and second nature as writing a question in google ("best free video editing software") and then reading up on it. If not being able to even do that, if that is the level of ability people have these days, then we have a much bigger problem in society then i though.
    I have seen this sort of thing a thousand times on forums where someones comes in, asks a question, gets no no reply for days and then a week later shows up and BUMPS that forum post again with - "why has no one replied - i need an answer".
    And i think to myself - are you Fing kidding me? Did you seriously only ask the question and then wait a week and did nothing on your own to figure out the answer yourself?
    This particular case strikes me as exactly this kind of situation.

For all you know this person could be coming from a non-internet background, on their first laptop, thinking "alright, I'm going to work hard and teach myself video. First thing, I'm going to join a thoughtful community and seek help".
    Now you are reaching for the starts my friend I have to agree with your wife on this one - you give too much in terms of benefit of the doubt

3. Stop making assumptions on people's stupidity, and generally your life interactions will play out much better. Intelligence is not a linear thing. One might be bad at communicating what they are trying to do, yet brilliant at executing it once they understand. Or any other of a hundred combinations.
    I am sorry, but i can't do that. First of all - i am not making assumptions. I formulate and conclude my assessment of people based on the things they do and the things they say (it's sort or a scale that tips one way or the other). And my interactions with people who i consider to be intelligent are awesome. I just actively avoid those, who are the opposite of that.

In general - i have a completely neutral attitude toward every single person i meet for the first time in life in one way or the other (real life or internet). Why? because i don't know that person, so how can i judge him/her? I can't.
    But as soon as that person starts to interact with me, i formulate my subjective opinion. And so does every single human being on this planet, whether they know it consciously or not. I mean - that's how we figure out stuff like... hmmm, this person i just met strikes me as a serial killer, i should get the F out of here. Or - this person seems nice, i want us to be friends... It's basic human interaction principles.

What life experience as a multiple business owner over 15+ years while having employed hundreds of people has thought me is, that... unfortunately a very large percentage of people lie, steal, cheat and do and say things in such a way, that there is no other conclusion other then they are stupid. I mean... look at hard core Trump supporters for instance. It's the definition of stupidity.

A very particular example happened in my country where the leading pyrotechnician blew up his house with himself and his entire family, and he took down the neighboring house as well. How did that happen? Because he was a complete moron who kept a metric ton of fireworks explosives in his second bedroom... in his private home... where he lived with his family. Best part is - has was warned multiple times before about it and did nothing.
    Keep in mind, that person had 2 degrees from 2 top tier Universities. He was considered a "smart and intelligent person", but here is the thing - intellect and education are two completely different things and they are only loosely related. Education is nothing more then the measure of your memory, the way the educational system is designed in the world with learn this and then remember it for the test or exam. While intellect is the the ability of reasoning and understanding objectively, especially with regard to abstract matters. Or in other words - the ability to make sound decisions.

So when i make my conclusions about a person - i base it on how that person is able to make sound decisions and nothing more really.

My wife says that I always give the benefit of the doubt or presume too much good in people. Well, what happens when you encounter someone that deserves that treatment but you denied them for not wanting to presume? I'd rather give people too much credence vs coming down on the person that deserved more patience.
    Pretty much the same answer as above. When i meet someone - my attitude is neutral and polite. Display signs of intelligence and kindness and my attitude will reflect the same. Display stupidity and i will distance myself. It's very simple.

Well, have you had any luck convincing your wife of the same thing you are trying with me?

Honestly, I'm not trying to annoy you. I'm asking you to soften your stance in life, in general. Take it easier and things will work out, and you'll be happier for it, as well as the people around you.

I promise you I've asked plenty of stupid questions in my life. I've also answered at least a couple thousand threads in forums over the years. I'd hate to be put on the spot when it's been my turn to say something stupid, and I'd hate to be the one that does that to someone that took a misstep.
    We are totally fine - i am not annoyed at all, to be honest. As i said previously - people come from different parts of the world and have different life experiences and views. I am cool with that and i am not trying to convince you that your views are wrong and mine are right. Not at all!
    The thing about written words is, that they are open to 1000 ways of interpretation, because human interaction was not meant to be carried through only 1 sense. What do i mean by that - when 2 people talk with each other in real life, we use all of our senses during the conversation.
    We use our ears and voice to speak and listen, we hear the tone of the voice to understand the underlying situation - was it meant to be funny, was the other person sad, was he/she sarcastic and so on.
    We use our eyes to judge body language that tells us sometimes even more then words.
    We even use our smell that signals our brains on a chemical level important nuances about the other person (especially when it comes to male / female interaction).

But on forums - all of that important information we would get from other senses is removed and we are left with only words. And because of this and the fact that every person perceives written information differently - we create a lot of conflict and misunderstandings.

I could write a simple sentence here and i bet out of 100 people who would read it almost every one would perceive that sentence differently. Some minds would read between the lines and conclude one thing. Others would emphasize one specific part of the sentence - others would focus on another. Some would find offense in it - others would find it funny and so on.

Therefore, when i write something and someone takes offense in that (even if that wasn't my intention) - i take it for what it is. An impossible task to satisfy all by an extremely limited form of communication a.k.a. "the written word".

Crap. I just spent 20 min writing this.

Blog Entries

Let's move on guys.
    RL_Sensie's original response was fine.He clearly stated it might appear rude, but then justified why he'd posted his answer that way.
    It's perfectly reasonable to criticise laziness and stupidity, although the latter can, in some case, be educated.

However, IMO it is not reasonable to criticise ignorance. Indeed admitting ignorance should be encouraged. Anyone asking a question is asking because they do not know the answer to something. We're all ignorant of anything we do not know. But I don't think RL_Sensei meant ignorance in that sense - but more in the sense of "thoughtless". Perhaps "ignorance" was a poor choice of word?

But hey, it's one person who hasn't returned (as far as we know). This may be (partly) due to RL_Sensie's response or it may be because he/she has asked the same question on a dozen other forums.

Let's not fight among ourselves, eh?
    Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12