Thread: Creating 5mins videos from full length

Default Creating 5mins videos from full length

Hi I have huge library of videos which takes a lot of space. So I was wondering if there is a way to have those videos trimmed to 5 or 10 mins from there full length. Just like we have trailers..

I know how to do this using the manual trim feature from editing apps or software but that is too tedious..

Is there a way to batch auto trim in any software or app.

Please advice..

I vaguely recall an automated mp5 cutter. Was very limited in that it only took mp4 and only do chunks in the time that you set it up to do (it wasn't smart looking for scene changes or anything). You should also be able to use the FFMPEG library to do something command promptey I think or maybe you need to do a bit of coding on it though that wouldn't really be for me unless it would give me substantial financial gains
    Adobe software can also do automation. Your best bet would be to try After Effects + Media Encoder.
    Then again, you can order terabytes of storage for the price of a video editor subscription/license...
    The cats are watching us...

Quote Originally Posted by digitalx View Post
    Hi I have huge library of videos which takes a lot of space. So I was wondering if there is a way to have those videos trimmed to 5 or 10 mins from there full length. Just like we have trailers..

I know how to do this using the manual trim feature from editing apps or software but that is too tedious..

Is there a way to batch auto trim in any software or app.

Please advice..
    What would be the point of randomly trimming your footage to 5 or 10 min?
    What exactly would that accomplish? i don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    What would be the point of randomly trimming your footage to 5 or 10 min?
    What exactly would that accomplish? i don't get it.
    I was wondering the exact same thing... bit scared to poke the hornet's nest there so decided not to ask

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    I was wondering the exact same thing... bit scared to poke the hornet's nest there so decided not to ask
    I'll poke it. If those feature-length movies were edited down into a 10-minute version that gave the viewer a 'Reader's Digest' version of the film (i.e. intelligent condensation of plot and story arc), then there is a benefit from watching such. If you had watched the film before in its entirety, such a revisit watching a condensed presentation would bring back a flood of memories. Even if you had never seen the film before, watching such would give you a good overview of what you may have missed and could elicit a decision of whether or not it was worth watching in its entirety.

But that take takes human intelligence to make; real work and time is required to accomplish such. There is no App or program out there that can accomplish such, intelligently. Never will be. Any program that arbitrarily cuts down a feature-film into a 10-minute version would produce a brainless collection of incoherent clips that just produce snippets of eye-candy without coherent context. Writing a program to do that is a no-brainer for someone who knows how to do code, but I would think someone smart enough to code such would already be intelligent enough to know up-front that doing such was a waste of time and brainpower. On the other hand, there may be a market for such out there today, if the current fare of what are considered desirable videos is any indication of today's tastes. In that case, whoever made such would be a marketing genius.

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    I'll poke it. If those feature-length movies were edited down into a 10-minute version that gave the viewer a 'Reader's Digest' version of the film (i.e. intelligent condensation of plot and story arc), then there is a benefit from watching such. If you had watched the film before in its entirety, such a revisit watching a condensed presentation would bring back a flood of memories. Even if you had never seen the film before, watching such would give you a good overview of what you may have missed and could elicit a decision of whether or not it was worth watching in its entirety.

But that take takes human intelligence to make; real work and time is required to accomplish such. There is no App or program out there that can accomplish such, intelligently. Never will be. Any program that arbitrarily cuts down a feature-film into a 10-minute version would produce a brainless collection of incoherent clips that just produce snippets of eye-candy without coherent context. Writing a program to do that is a no-brainer for someone who knows how to do code, but I would think someone smart enough to code such would already be intelligent enough to know up-front that doing such was a waste of time and brainpower. On the other hand, there may be a market for such out there today, if the current fare of what are considered desirable videos is any indication of today's tastes. In that case, whoever made such would be a marketing genius.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's already a program out there that does this... (Oh look what I found: https://github.com/umutseven92/LaFontaine) I also can imagine a world where AI generated trailers are a possibility if not even already possible by combining text summarising bots with voice recognition and some other smart automation things.