Thread: Vegas 16

Default Vegas 16

I see Vegas has released V16 along with a "360" AKA monthly subscription version. Anyone have any thoughts about either the upgrade from 15 to 16 or even the subscription route.

Blog Entries

I keep looking at V16 as an upgrade, and I'd do it like a shot if concensus suggested it was more stable. Unfortunately the opposite seems the case.
    Tim

That's not good. I find 15 isn't stable on my sytem so I couldn't cope with something less stable. What about the idea of the subscription service. How does that work. Is the program up in the cloud ? Would mean it would be more stable ?

When Adobe went with the subscription model, the software became less stable.

The way the subscription usually works is that you install and use the software from your computer as usual, but now there is a license protection software watching over you to make sure you are paying your dues. It usually requires that you log to the internet at least every so often so it can call home and talk to the mothership about your subscription and usage.

Before subscription you could use whatever version you liked, and downloading and installing the patches was up to you. I got in a cycle of NOT patching software that was known to have unstable release cycles. Just wait a few months until they release a well-balanced patch then install that version. That all goes out the window with the "stay up to date" model. You have to trust that the company releasing the updates and new features has a pedigree in keeping it clean and stable. Vegas from what I've hear is not that kind of company.

Not to mention the Adobe subscription model is significantly more expensive than how it was before. I would always skip at least a version if not a couple. When they went subscription I basically quit buying Adobe. I'm still using the last software bundle they made (CS6) which by now is like 6 years old. Not looking forward to needing to upgrade or change companies, but so far so good.

On the plus side, when Adobe went subscription they started swimming in money. That can translate to better feature release cycles, more bug fixes, etc. I guess time will tell how it plays out for Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    That's not good. I find 15 isn't stable on my sytem so I couldn't cope with something less stable. What about the idea of the subscription service. How does that work. Is the program up in the cloud ? Would mean it would be more stable ?
    I had Premiere Pro on a subscription service. Cost me over $600 USD per year, and it was tied to a cloud service. I didn't care for the cloud part, so I didn't use it. But the service kept trying to push me to use it, and started designing the upgrades to be more cloud pro with each update. That was one (not the determining factor), but a major reason why I ditched Adobe in December. For what it's worth, Midnight, you asked.
    Digger

Blog Entries

That's not good. I find 15 isn't stable on my sytem
    Likewise.
    If anything, I'd expect the cloud version to be less stable as it has to run the code to "phone home" - ie more code. However, so long as one could revert to VP15, it's a good idea from the point of view of trying it out if the 30 day or whatever it is now) trial period is not long enough.
    Tim

Is there anything in v16 worth upgrading from 15 ?

Blog Entries

Is there anything in v16 worth upgrading from 15 ?
    Not that appealed to me. It now has motion tracking which many of us have been hoping for for years, but now anything i do that requires that level of compositing I tend to do in HitFilm and just use Vegas for editing, colouring and, most importantly, mixing audio.
    Tim

Sounds like I should just stick with v15 for the time being then.