Thread: Canon EOS R 10Bit 4:2:2 4K Video Sample Test

1. Default Canon EOS R 10Bit 4:2:2 4K Video Sample Test

Trying out the Canon EOS R at its highest bitrate possible with the new atomos ninja v and see what we can achieve, and was suprised at how well it can handle at post production. However, there are some downside. Lens used was Canon 35mm F1.4 L USM with adapter.

I agree with you that the footage seemed soft for 4k as you say it could be to do with the lens. Did you try sharpening the footage ? That might be all that's needed.

After some testing with it (rented it for a week to check it out) i am pretty sure the EOS R does not have actual 4K. To me it looks like the camera is shooting everything at 1080p and then upscaling it to 4K and adding some sharpening.
    In my own test footage i barely saw a difference in image quality comparing the filmed 4K to HD and i saw the same in PotatoJet's comparison as well.

I also did a test where i upscaled HD test footage to 4K in post, added sharpening and compared it to the recorded 4K from the EOS R....... they looked identical.
    The only minuscule noticeable difference comes from the Bitrate of the files. 4K file is about 480Mbps while the HD is 180 Mbps.

This camera is an embarrassment for Canon and in a way - a total scam.
    And i am heavily invested in Canon, so crap like this from them makes me sad.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    After some testing with it (rented it for a week to check it out) i am pretty sure the EOS R does not have actual 4K. To me it looks like the camera is shooting everything at 1080p and then upscaling it to 4K and adding some sharpening.
    In my own test footage i barely saw a difference in image quality comparing the filmed 4K to HD and i saw the same in PotatoJet's comparison as well.

I also did a test where i upscaled HD test footage to 4K in post, added sharpening and compared it to the recorded 4K from the EOS R....... they looked identical.
    The only minuscule noticeable difference comes from the Bitrate of the files. 4K file is about 480Mbps while the HD is 180 Mbps.

This camera is an embarrassment for Canon and in a way - a total scam.
    And i am heavily invested in Canon, so crap like this from them makes me sad.
    I felt that too! there are some people on youtube reported that it was upscaled as well, maybe it is true, also however, some people also have reported, to fix the softness on the footage, that if we increase the sharpness by +4 in the camera setting should solve the problem, not completely but improve things, but having said that working with 10bit 422 for the first time has definitely opened up my eyes about the difference between that and the normal 100mbps footage, the way i can colour grade with it vs the 100mbps or less is just crazy

Quote Originally Posted by mannyteh View Post
    I felt that too! there are some people on youtube reported that it was upscaled as well, maybe it is true, also however, some people also have reported, to fix the softness on the footage, that if we increase the sharpness by +4 in the camera setting should solve the problem, not completely but improve things, but having said that working with 10bit 422 for the first time has definitely opened up my eyes about the difference between that and the normal 100mbps footage, the way i can colour grade with it vs the 100mbps or less is just crazy
    Well, considering that post-production upscaled HD to 4K looks identical to in-camera recorded 4K, there is no doubt in my mind that the EOS R has no 4K capability.
    Yeah, but does artificially adding +4 sharpness actually fix what is wrong with the camera? Sure, it will make it look sharper, but does that mean it will create more detail in the shot? One thing it will do for sure is create more noise.

You are right about 10 bit though. It's a different story when it comes do grading.

EDITED typo

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    Well, considering that post-production upscaled HD to 4K looks identical to in-camera recorded 4K, there is no doubt in my mind that the EOS R has no 4K capability.
    Yeah, but does artificially adding +4 sharpness actually fix what is wrong with the camera? Sure, it will make it look sharper, but does that mean it will create more detail in the shot? One thing it will do for sure is create more noise.

You are right about 10 bit though. It's a different story when it comes do grading.

EDITED typo
    it certainly won't solve the problem of sharpness but it will probably help in some way to make footage looks maybe 5% better ... but no denying, canon r 4k is not at all impressive. best thing about it is 10bit

have you heard nikon z will be able to support raw through external monitor, that is crazy!