Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thanks and season's greetings!

Blog Entries

Whilst I agree worked examples and, importantly, following along with them is a great way to learm, my problem is that they are never of the type of project I spend much of my time doing. They tend to be based around lots of short shots (often the same scene from different angles) and assume we will always want to use the "main" audio.
    In practice I have a collecton 40min to 90min shots which need chopping up and rearranging. Audio from several sources need to be synced and kept with the video as I do not know when I might need to suddenly use a different sourse as someone kicked the stand holding the main mic etc etc. It is a question of managing all these assets on the timeline whilst editing rather than how to use the editor that is the bigger problem for me (and I appreciate I hardly have a lot of assets compared to some). Whilst I will go back to learning Resolve, no number of examples will be a substitute for trying to put a proper "product" together. For me, if I don't "have" to achieve a definitive result, I'm afraid I'm inclined to take short-cuts (if I make a mistake there's no pressing need to go back and find the the cause or fix it, I'll just assume I can)

Congrats on your Doctorate - quite an achievement and the best of luck in the New Year.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Whilst I agree worked examples and, importantly, following along with them is a great way to learm, my problem is that they are never of the type of project I spend much of my time doing. They tend to be based around lots of short shots (often the same scene from different angles) and assume we will always want to use the "main" audio.
    In practice I have a collecton 40min to 90min shots which need chopping up and rearranging. Audio from several sources need to be synced and kept with the video as I do not know when I might need to suddenly use a different sourse as someone kicked the stand holding the main mic etc etc. It is a question of managing all these assets on the timeline whilst editing rather than how to use the editor that is the bigger problem for me (and I appreciate I hardly have a lot of assets compared to some). Whilst I will go back to learning Resolve, no number of examples will be a substitute for trying to put a proper "product" together. For me, if I don't "have" to achieve a definitive result, I'm afraid I'm inclined to take short-cuts (if I make a mistake there's no pressing need to go back and find the the cause or fix it, I'll just assume I can)

Congrats on your Doctorate - quite an achievement and the best of luck in the New Year.
    I understand what you are saying. That is exactly why I'm finding Reslove's BIN management system so valuable. When setting up a project in Resolve, the first task is to determine what media on your drives you want to use, or what you don't need, but allowing room to go back and add additional cuts, or segments, as needed (video and audio OR video or audio only, as necessary). Since Resolve 15 is 'non-destructive' (that is, your original stored clips are not altered in any way during the media selection/BIN placement project), it gives the freedom to import only selected segments of clips to be marked up and stored in the BIN and annotated for timeline use. In other words, I don't have to bring EVERYTHING into the timeline editor and then destructively chop it down on the timeline. Just the opposite, I can chop it up in PREVIEWS and place in the BINs what pieces I need, or think I will need, (big or small) and categorize those segments accordingly. If I run into a problem later, where I need to go back and find something to work-around a boo boo, I can return to the original clip material, (find what I need to make a patch or sync) and extract additional pieces, as needed. Since Resolve 15's editing and BIN system works on ingesting available clips, marking up places on those clips (done by the program's database), and even add metadata of my own choosing in how those segments are identified and sorted (and notes on what they are and how to find them), the whole project process works in the editor's favor, not against him or her. Resolve does not make copies of your original materials in the ingestion process, it marks where to find what you want (in its database) to use and let's you be very selective about it, up front, prior to bringing that material into the timeline. I don't know if I am making any sense here, but I'm very familiar with the workflow process you are describing (I use it myself) and Resolve can help you better manage working that kind of process.

Well, Happy New Year, Tim, and let's hope the coming year is better than the last one. My country is so torn up with political correctness and partisan bickering that people over here have lost their sense of humor and human civility. Unfortunately, it may take some world-shattering event to put a stop to the nonsense. Let's hope such is not coming over the horizon. Cheers, Mate!

Blog Entries

Vegas can do that with bins and subclips although it doesn't have the advantage of adding metadata that Resolve has. (Sony Media Manager was pretty good for this but has not been supported for years and had the problem that if it went belly-up, it became unusable, so frequent backups were a must)

However, having short clips as identifiable items is counter to what I need to do (unless, of course, I am missing somethig which is highly probable).

Take the following: Two cameras and one audio for a 45 min show. Put the footage and audio on the timeline and sync once (two lots of synhronisation.
    Separate the show into separate "chunks", say 10 songs and 9 pieces if interlude dialog in bins I now have 3 x 19 binned pieces of footage/audio to sync. That is not productive!

Now I think there are possibe ways forward with this with Resolve.
    1. Compound Clips (which I tried but had unexpected results with - need to work harder on this
    2. Multicam clips, cut into sub-clips (which i haven't tried)

As for the New Year - let's hope so. My own country is also polarized, as you may be aware, with families fighting about Brexit and also with those who take offence at anything on behalf of others on the one hand and those who think it's perfectly acceptable to be intolerant and abusive of anyone elses opinion, sexuality, race or religion on the other.
    Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12