Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks and season's greetings!

Default Thanks and season's greetings!

Hi, just wanted to say Merry Christmas, and thanks for this forum and for all the great info, comments and advice! I hope everyone has a happy and productive New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dunakin View Post
    Hi, just wanted to say Merry Christmas, and thanks for this forum and for all the great info, comments and advice! I hope everyone has a happy and productive New Year.
    Hear, hear! Happy Holidays everybody!
    The cats are watching us...

Season's greetings to all on the forum!

Blog Entries

Thank you all and the same from me. I'd post a Chrismas video, but you've all seen them already! Love, Peace and let's keep those creative juices flowing.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Thank you all and the same from me. I'd post a Chrismas video, but you've all seen them already! Love, Peace and let's keep those creative juices flowing.
    Since it's past Christmas, I'll just wish everyone a Happy New Year. As for those "creative juices" you speak about, mine are currently slow-cooking in a Resolve 15 training "crockpot" that I've been stewing in for a few days now. WOW! I had no idea of the power this editing system had under the hood. I'm only on lesson 5 of 15 in this training/certification workbook (still only on just the editing part) and I'm totally psyched up and blown away. I really wish I had started using this system earlier; I had no idea of the editing versatility I've missed out on before now.

This Resolve 15 suite is going to be a total game-changer for how I do things. Yes, its THAT GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    Since it's past Christmas, I'll just wish everyone a Happy New Year. As for those "creative juices" you speak about, mine are currently slow-cooking in a Resolve 15 training "crockpot" that I've been stewing in for a few days now. WOW! I had no idea of the power this editing system had under the hood. I'm only on lesson 5 of 15 in this training/certification workbook (still only on just the editing part) and I'm totally psyched up and blown away. I really wish I had started using this system earlier; I had no idea of the editing versatility I've missed out on before now.

This Resolve 15 suite is going to be a total game-changer for how I do things. Yes, its THAT GOOD!
    I've often wondered about Resolve. I've been using the basic Premiere + After Effects combo for years now and I haven't felt like I ever really missed anything much. What's it about Resolve that makes it so special?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    I've often wondered about Resolve. I've been using the basic Premiere + After Effects combo for years now and I haven't felt like I ever really missed anything much. What's it about Resolve that makes it so special?
    I started on Vegas (used for 8 years), went to Premiere Pro+Adobe co-programs (Speedgrade, Audition, After Effects, Media Encoder) which I used for the past 3 years. The first advantage over PP is that in the DaVinci Resolve 15 suite ALL of the external programs (that PP must use to deal with VFX, Color Grading, Sound and Encoding) are in one, single program. They are accessible by a single click and totally integrated together at the timeline level. Second, Premiere Pro and the Adobe suite cost about USD $670, per year on subscription. Resolve 15 is less than $300 one-time purchase, and upgrades and improvements are also supplied free (but are less bug prone) and Customer Support and Training are FAR SUPERIOR. Third, and I can only speak about the editing section at this time, (because that is where I'm learning at the moment), but the advantages of Resolve 15 over Premiere Pro seen so far: More precision in timeline control and editing functions, more transitions and ability to customize transition parameters on the timeline, a built-in BIN system for clips that that can be customized and keyed to metadata, more timeline effects and ability to easier integrate OpenFX external plugins into the core system, automatic and semi-automatic trim abilities, etc. It's just a far superior system that can run rings around anything else out there. You need to keep in mind that the Legacy DaVinci colorist and Fusion VFX programs that underpin Resolve 15 have been used in Hollywood filmmaking for quite a while before Blackmagic Design acquired them and integrated them into Resolve 15. The addition of the Fairlight Audio platform (another Hollywood workhorse) lets you do things with the timeline's audio tracks that meet or beat anything Adobe Audition can do. As far as Media encoding, it also outdoes anything Adobe Media Encoder can do. I also find the total Resolve suit much more stable, forgiving, and not prone to crashing. Resolve 15 will make full use of your terminal's RAM capabilities, the programs run much faster, they don't bog down in real-time playback when working on the timeline, and more. Frankly, it is a super film/video workhorse made for professional editors. Best of all, regardless of which speciality section you are working in (i.e. basic editing, coloring, Fusion VFX) your timeline is always there in front of you. Resolve also has some neat tracking features too that are fast and slick. OK, that's about all my brain buffer can call up right now, but I think you get the picture. This program is worth the effort to learn and, metaphorically speaking, if Vegas was a Volkswagen and Premiere Pro was a Chevrolet SUV, Resolve 15 is a combination of a Ferrari integrated with a Lamborghini and the carrying capacity of a Peterbilt tractor-trailer rig (you all' call them lorries). Get the picture.
    Last edited by worddigger; 12-28-2018 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    I started on Vegas (used for 8 years), went to Premiere Pro+Adobe co-programs (Speedgrade, Audition, After Effects, Media Encoder) which I used for the past 3 years. The first advantage over PP is that in the DaVinci Resolve 15 suite ALL of the external programs (that PP must use to deal with VFX, Color Grading, Sound and Encoding) are in one, single program. They are accessible by a single click and totally integrated together at the timeline level. Second, Premiere Pro and the Adobe suite cost about USD $670, per year on subscription. Resolve 15 is less than $300 one-time purchase, and upgrades and improvements are also supplied free (but are less bug prone) and Customer Support and Training are FAR SUPERIOR. Third, and I can only speak about the editing section at this time, (because that is where I'm learning at the moment), but the advantages of Resolve 15 over Premiere Pro seen so far: More precision in timeline control and editing functions, more transitions and ability to customize transition parameters on the timeline, a built-in BIN system for clips that that can be customized and keyed to metadata, more timeline effects and ability to easier integrate OpenFX external plugins into the core system, automatic and semi-automatic trim abilities, etc. It's just a far superior system that can run rings around anything else out there. You need to keep in mind that the Legacy DaVinci colorist and Fusion VFX programs that underpin Resolve 15 have been used in Hollywood filmmaking for quite a while before Blackmagic Design acquired them and integrated them into Resolve 15. The addition of the Fairlight Audio platform (another Hollywood workhorse) lets you do things with the timeline's audio tracks that meet or beat anything Adobe Audition can do. As far as Media encoding, it also outdoes anything Adobe Media Encoder can do. I also find the total Resolve suit much more stable, forgiving, and not prone to crashing. Resolve 15 will make full use of your terminal's RAM capabilities, the programs run much faster, they don't bog down in real-time playback when working on the timeline, and more. Frankly, it is a super film/video workhorse made for professional editors. Best of all, regardless of which speciality section you are working in (i.e. basic editing, coloring, Fusion VFX) your timeline is always there in front of you. Resolve also has some neat tracking features too that are fast and slick. OK, that's about all my brain buffer can call up right now, but I think you get the picture. This program is worth the effort to learn and, metaphorically speaking, if Vegas was a Volkswagen and Premiere Pro was a Chevrolet SUV, Resolve 15 is a combination of a Ferrari integrated with a Lamborghini and the carrying capacity of a Peterbilt tractor-trailer rig (you all' call them lorries). Get the picture.
    That's one heck of a sales pitch! I think I'll give it a try next year, see if my system can handle it. I only have an Intel i7 4770K without any nvidea/amd GPU since NLE's back then only really used the CPU. When I check Resolve's spec sheet I really fear that it'll cost me $300 plus perhaps another $1500 - $5000 for a new workstation :( Then again I'll be due a new workstation soon... just need to find more high paying projects.

Yeah we are calling them lorries for now... I wouldn't be surprised though that in a few generations only the elite will hang on to their lorries while the rest of the world will have learned their early language from youtube video's that are mostly in American English.
    My kid and I are always having the truck vs lorry argument... I guess I should make him watch more Postman Pat and Brum instead of that horrible Blippi character that all tots watch these days. Unfortunately every time I try I get

Blog Entries

I've been trying to do a real project in Resolve over the past couple of days. I did the whole Film Simplified course earlier in the year and recapped it and was very excited about the possibilities. There's little doubt that it's a capable editor. However, after a couple of days I'm abandoning it and starting again in Vegas.
    No doubt some of this is down to my lack of familiarity but I just couldn't get it working as productively as I would with Vegas.

To be fair, this is quite a taxing edit.
    Take 2 or 3 separate performances of a Nativity play, lasting about 40-50 minutes. Two cameras plus separate audio from each performance to sync up.

The dialog I take the best lines from each (I usually have CU camera facing left from one performance and facing right on the other performance so I get question/answer shots as well as wide.

Songs are performed to a CD backing so I sync up all 4 or 6 video tracks to the best audio recording. The objective is to show for a few seconds as many members of the cast as possible in close-up. When filming I will shoot a group of two or three, move the camera, shoot another group etc. and cover the whole cast in the duration of teh song.

Doing this in Vegas is simple, if a bit laborious. I do NOT use multicam editing although this might seem the logical thing to do, rather I use 4 or 6 separate tracks. Imagine tracks 1 & 2 are CU of cast singing (one left and one right) and tracks 3 & 4 are the same two performances shot wide.
    I go through and drop a marker on every bar.
    I then go through track 1 and cut (on markers) out everything where there is movement - so I'm left with just static camera shots of small groups of people.
    I'll do the same for track 2.
    Then I start using my skill & judgement to decide when and where to cut between the two (aiming to get a reasonably balanced mix of children - avoiding too many shots of the same children)
    Where there are no close - ups available (or where I think it's needed) I'll cut to one of the wide shots - sometimes cropping this (which is shot in 4K) to FHD.

Resolve has a reasonable ability to sync tracks and create a muti cam track, but I really struggled to get this working how I liked it. Sometimes the multi-cam clip would split itself into separate tracks and sometime for no apparent reason (though I'm sure this was beginners ineptitude) one or more tracks would go out of sync. Until i'm comnfortable enough wth this i'm not going to risk 50 hours of editing for one slip-up to mean tghe whole thing's out of sync.

I do not like that you cannot use a second monitor in resolve as a full screen preview (without a decklink card or similar) and the preview screen seems stuck on the same monitor ar the timeline (meaning if I had multiple tracks the preview monitor was tiny)
    I did not like that markers are just little marks on a track rather than vertical lines on the timeline.
    I did not feel I had anywhere near as much control over moving clips horizontally (in particular miovements seemed to be either far too great or far too small) - I've become very adept as shrinking and expanding the timeline in Vegas in order to manage the movement and trimming of clips on it.

I'm sure much of this is lack of expertise, and I will return to Resolve, but for now, for me it doesn't do the job I need it to do.

Rather disappointed.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I'm sure much of this is lack of expertise, and I will return to Resolve, but for now, for me it doesn't do the job I need it to do.

Rather disappointed.
    Tim, been there, done that. As I recommended, keep learning Resolve on the side. Becoming familiar with the interface and what it can do does take a while and I certainly do recommend using the "Definitive Guide to DaVinci Resolve 15" workbook vs watching video tutorials. Doing so has made all the difference in my learning effectiveness. But, that's me. This change is almost like learning two different types of flying. A good pilot who can whip a Cessna around a pilon by the seat of his pants may be uncomfortable (at first) learning how to drive a 787 Dreamliner. The level of complexity is quite different, but a trained pilot can make a 787 do barrel-rolls, dives and power climbs too (just the FAA won't let him do it, certainly not with passengers on board). I'm about halfway through the workbook and, as I gain familiarity with the interface and the new functions, I'm still not comfortable yet, but becoming more confident each day. I might also add that the BMD workbook is also taking me through a prescribed sequence of project planning, clip organization and workflow procedures that are quite different from my own approach, but they are helpful and instructive, so far. Having all the free practice and training clips made available by BMD, to work through the course lessons, has also been very helpful.

It will probably be a while until I attempt to do an original project on Resolve 15, as I intend to continue to work through the available training workbooks and chalk up the certifications in the process. When I'm ready, I'll be back here in the forum with new jams and jellies for exposition. So, if you don't hear from me for a while, that is the reason. That, and I'm currently also working on a D.D. degree which will take up a lot of my free-time the next few months. At the start of December, I earned my "Doctor of Theology" degree and have decided to pursue a postgraduate study. So, in the morning's I'm studying Theology and in the evenings Resolve 15 software.
    God help me. (Yes, I'm a polymath)
    Last edited by worddigger; 12-29-2018 at 02:36 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast