Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegas Pro Bundle for $25

Default Vegas Pro Bundle for $25

Who is using Vegas Pro- would you recommend this bundle of Vegas Pro 15?

https://www.humblebundle.com/softwar...-more-software

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    Who is using Vegas Pro- would you recommend this bundle of Vegas Pro 15?

https://www.humblebundle.com/softwar...-more-software
    I've been using Vegas Pro since v7 and for many years absolutely loved it. It fits my "systemic" way of working. A typical example would be FX can be applied to an event (something on the timeline - eg a video clip), a track, the media (clip) itself (so it applies to every occurrence of parts of that clip on the timeline) or the whole project. It grew out of an audio program and this heritage shows.

However, whilst I continue to use it as my only editor, I don't think anything has been as stable as version 11 and I can't wholeheartedly recommend it. I've learned where it's likely to crash on my system (hex core i7, 32GB RAM SSD for system/progs, SSD for current project, several mechanical hard drives for backup of current projects) Radeon R9 390. It's not an underspecced system -but them a agin it's not a Workstation grade machine. So I make sure I save regularly - and frequently when I'm doing those things.

I keep thinking about changing (Resolve is the most likely candidate) but I am just so used to working with Vegas it's just inertia that's stopping me.
    Tim

I'm somewhat satisfied with my current solution (PowerDirector) but it's not perfect, particularly for longer edits. That price for Vegas Pro seems hard to pass, but I've also heard that the thing has become pretty unstable, which already is one of my main concerns with my current software.

I feel at this point that I'm likely to switch to Resolve in the next few years. Blackmagic includes the pro version with camera purchases, and that new Pocket 4k is very attractive. Depending on my needs and what they release next, I may pull the trigger on a BM camera, and with a free copy of Resolve Pro I may be forced to make the jump.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I keep thinking about changing (Resolve is the most likely candidate) but I am just so used to working with Vegas it's just inertia that's stopping me.
    Tim, I'm going to agree with you that Resolve is the direction I'm going to go with. Like you, I started with Vegas, that is where I cut my editing teeth. But Vegas turned on me and became unstable with the later versions, which is why I then went with Premiere Pro and the Adobe programs. That worked good for a time, as well, but the more they upgrade the versions the more they seem to mess with it too much. And, although you can do lots of stuff in Premiere Pro, I'm not too happy about having to rely on After Effects for doing detailed compositing work. Frankly, I find after effects to be a real pain to learn and use. I also have to change to other separate programs (i.e. speedgrade and audition) to do other critical color grading and sound stuff. I really don't like having to change between all those different programs in the Adobe suite to work on the same project.

So, since I started learning effects work in Fusion, and now that Fusion has been integrated into Resolve, it just makes sense to go back to the NODES basics. Besides, Resolve also now has the Fairchild audio system. So, all in all, just about everything I need to work with is now built in together in Resolve. Like you, inertia has been holding me back. That is, it means I will need to move out of a comfort zone and learn new ways of doing things. So be it, let's take the plunge.

For those of you who are not familiar with Resolve and everything it can do, here is a crash-course tutorial video on Resolve that will give you an excellent overview of the program's power and capabilities: RESOLVE And one of the best things is, you can get the program for FREE, with only minor limitations on features as vs. the paid version. I have the paid version, and the cost is half the price of a one-year Adobe subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Tim, I just took the plunge. I cancelled my Adobe subscription, uninstalled all the Adobe editing software, and reconfigured my terminal system to Resolve 15. Now I can no longer put off making the change to Resolve...it's swim or sink now. To quote Captain James T. Kirk when he blew up the old Enterprise, "What have I done, Bones?" (Damn, that was liberating!)

Blog Entries

What a way to see in the New Year! With two more nativity productions to edit before Christmas, I think I'll defer (although abandoning Vegas isn't quite as dramatic as abandoning the Adobe subscription model.

Good luck!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    Tim, I just took the plunge. I cancelled my Adobe subscription, uninstalled all the Adobe editing software, and reconfigured my terminal system to Resolve 15. Now I can no longer put off making the change to Resolve...it's swim or sink now. To quote Captain James T. Kirk when he blew up the old Enterprise, "What have I done, Bones?" (Damn, that was liberating!)
    Not sure if at my time of life my brain could take the learning curve is the work flow in any way similar to premier?
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Not sure if at my time of life my brain could take the learning curve is the work flow in any way similar to premier?
    Not really. My theory is that should make it easier to learn.It's like learning two languages - if they are similar, it makes it easier to understand, but when writing/speaking it's much easier to use the wrong one.
    (At least i imagine this is how it is - I'm very uniligual!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Tim: No, the only way it is similar to Premiere Pro (or Vegas, for that matter) is the timeline function. That works in layers and you can bring in effects, transitions, etc. You do have a left/right monitor setup (like Premiere) that allows you to bring clips into the right-hand monitor to trim and scrub before dragging down into the timeline. That's pretty much where the similarity ends. In Premiere Pro, you must rely on/switch in and out of other Adobe programs like Speedgrade (Color Correction), Audition (Sound Mixing/effects), After Effects (Special Effects), Media Encoder (Rendering) to do more precise grading/sound and such. With Resolve ALL of that work can be done within the main Resolve program. The other big difference is that Adobe After Effects and Speedgrade work on a LAYERS-BASED system and the effects are restricted to a 2D environment. Resolve works on a NODE-BASED system. The learning curve for nodes is a little more difficult, but the PERFORMANCE and VERSATILITY are FAR SUPERIOR, IMHO. In addition, using the Fusion effects portion you can actually incorporate and work with 3D models and environments.

BTW, I have just purchased the "Definitive Guide to Davinci Resolve" Training/Certification handbook from Amazon.com (see link) and have began the lesson program. Since I have played around with Resolve and Fusion a few years ago when they were stand-alone and separate programs (before I started using Premiere Pro), I do have a wee bit of a familiarity advantage going into the full blown Resolve 15 suite. The below animation was actually done in the Fusion Effects program using nodes to assemble the various composite components (dinosaur, trees, shrubs, logs, boy running, dust, breaking limbs, etc.). Those components were made available by Hollywood Camera Work as part of their training program on doing effects special effects in Fusion. (The intro/exit video, music and foley were my own work done in Premiere Pro at the time)

When you purchase the book Resolve 15 training book, BMD also provides the necessary video/audio lesson files needed to do the workbook. The files are a free download of about 5 G. I also have previously purchased a BlackMagicDesign video card that allows me to use a second, dedicated monitor for enhance viewing of the output video, but that is not necessary to begin using Resolve. I use it because it's easier on my old eyes than the program's built-in output monitors and gives me better flexibility using my Windows 10 based editing terminal.

So, my recommendation to you would be to download the free Resolve 15 software and just begin playing with it on the side. Get the book (if you can afford the $36 investment) to do structured training/familiarity. This you can do while still working with the Vegas program and files you are comfortable with so it will make the transition easier for you. The reason I burned my Premiere Pro bridges behind me and forced a personal commitment to begin using Resolve, is because I knew that if I didn't I would find excuses to prognosticate in making the switch.
    This way, I left myself no choice but to learn it completely. (I know myself). (I got the inspiration from the movie Red October, where the Captain was telling about Cortez burning his ships) See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicOJcZutK0&t=173s

10. Default

Looks like we are all going in this direction.

For next time we have 90mins to make some progress with Resolve:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk1iLsYytDE

Good luck to all, and happy Holidays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast