Thread: BOURNEMOUTH BEACH

1. Default BOURNEMOUTH BEACH

Just something I filmed a couple weeks ago for my presentation, thought it looked pretty cool, but something seems to be missing and i am not sure what it is, any feedback will be Appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMXxxr-66p4

Looks good
    Personally, I think you could've done better with colour grading, it looks a bit too orange-ish, and the slo-mo is a bit choppy. That's all I can see that isn't quite right. If that's what you thought was missing, then glad I helped. GL

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Looks good
    Personally, I think you could've done better with colour grading, it looks a bit too orange-ish, and the slo-mo is a bit choppy. That's all I can see that isn't quite right. If that's what you thought was missing, then glad I helped. GL
    Yes I do agree, I think I am trying too hard to create the golden hour looking and as to the slow motion i am still trying to figure out how to properly use my new camera so thats probably why and yeah those might be the things thats making me feel like it is not good enough, should probably have rented out a tripod for this instead of using all handheld as well

Blog Entries

OK. For starters we do not know wha your presentation is about or who your audience is so it's very difficult to be objective.
    I would suggest that whislt the grading might not be to everyone's taste - at least it is consistent.

The funadamental issue - and, I suspect, why you think something seems to be missing - is there is no narrative: this is just a collection of random shots with music that doesn't seem to bear any relevance to the footage.

There are also issues with focus and leveling of the shot.

Let's analyse:
    Opening. Lovely shot: Moody with acton and energy. The music enters and makes this a bit lively.
    Next shot (bird). Great matching shot - the waves breaking on teh beach are similar angle/energy - BUT focus is on the nearest breaker not the birsd which is in the foreground.
    Next shot: surfer entering sea. OK but the change in colour and position of the horizon jars a little, Surfer not in focus.
    Next shot justa shot of the sea. Colour matches previous shot nicely - this is almost narative (to me it suggested what the surfer is headed toward). The hand held look actually works for me here (it's a shakey path out to the surf)
    Two brief shots of the surfer in the water (jump cut?) 2nd too quick to take in then another shot of a gull not quite in focus.
    Shot of dog - not sure why, but he's nicely filmed against a moving background.
    More waves - ok it's a cutaway.
    Bikes feel out of place.
    Couple with girl skimming stones. Needs leveling.
    Surfer in sea paddling on board. Needs levelling.
    Surfer in sea (head and shoulders) needs levelling.
    Man walking along each - nice shot.
    Bird against seascape - needs levelling.
    Surfer with nead field very OOF. If you're going to show some out of focus near field stuff you need to make obvious what it is otherwise it's a distraction. (For example if you are moving a camera up through a field of wheat to reveal Theresa May running, it will become obvious that the near field stuff is wheat. If you show Christmas lights around something then cut close,. we will assume the near field OOF stuff are christmas lights etc etc.
    Silhouette of man walking under pier is a great shot.
    Next shot (I'm at 0:30 now) has sea on a tilt.

etc.
    Tim

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    OK. For starters we do not know wha your presentation is about or who your audience is so it's very difficult to be objective.
    I would suggest that whislt the grading might not be to everyone's taste - at least it is consistent.

The funadamental issue - and, I suspect, why you think something seems to be missing - is there is no narrative: this is just a collection of random shots with music that doesn't seem to bear any relevance to the footage.

There are also issues with focus and leveling of the shot.

Let's analyse:
    Opening. Lovely shot: Moody with acton and energy. The music enters and makes this a bit lively.
    Next shot (bird). Great matching shot - the waves breaking on teh beach are similar angle/energy - BUT focus is on the nearest breaker not the birsd which is in the foreground.
    Next shot: surfer entering sea. OK but the change in colour and position of the horizon jars a little, Surfer not in focus.
    Next shot justa shot of the sea. Colour matches previous shot nicely - this is almost narative (to me it suggested what the surfer is headed toward). The hand held look actually works for me here (it's a shakey path out to the surf)
    Two brief shots of the surfer in the water (jump cut?) 2nd too quick to take in then another shot of a gull not quite in focus.
    Shot of dog - not sure why, but he's nicely filmed against a moving background.
    More waves - ok it's a cutaway.
    Bikes feel out of place.
    Couple with girl skimming stones. Needs leveling.
    Surfer in sea paddling on board. Needs levelling.
    Surfer in sea (head and shoulders) needs levelling.
    Man walking along each - nice shot.
    Bird against seascape - needs levelling.
    Surfer with nead field very OOF. If you're going to show some out of focus near field stuff you need to make obvious what it is otherwise it's a distraction. (For example if you are moving a camera up through a field of wheat to reveal Theresa May running, it will become obvious that the near field stuff is wheat. If you show Christmas lights around something then cut close,. we will assume the near field OOF stuff are christmas lights etc etc.
    Silhouette of man walking under pier is a great shot.
    Next shot (I'm at 0:30 now) has sea on a tilt.

etc.
    Thank you Tim, i can always rely on you for a full analyses

I'm sure all the things that Tim pointed out are accurate and will need attention where possible.
    For me it was all a bit to fast but then again I'm old and it depends on it's purpose. What's going on with the audio ? The music track seemed in appropriate and I didn't hear any crashing waves.
    On the positive side great doggie shot.

hi, enjoyed the clip, some good shots and close ups the music added to the lively feeling of the clip