Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thailand Don'ts

1. Smile Thailand Don'ts

We recently visited Thailand and thought we should create a don'ts video. Most of the other information videos just talk about how you should act when going to Thailand, but we found there's a lot more you should be aware of. We also tried to make it entertaining as well. What do you think?

Blog Entries

Yep. Nicely put together with potentially useful information, very clear (but see below) and I like the presentation as a couple - you two are great at this.
    You gave yourself a problem with the exposure (you were underexposed, I might have been tempted to get you correct but blow out the background - or better still, film with a less bright background), but I think that just makes it more real.

I loved the suggestion that the Tuk-tuk ride at 11pm was awesome when the looks on your faces suggested anything but!
    "
    Two areas for improvement.

The title is "Don't" but the captions are thing you should do (eg the "Don't" is "Don't forget to get all your vaccination on time" but the caption is "Get Vaccinated". I guess most people won't have a problem with this but it might cause an issue for those who don't have English as a first language

Take your shades off. We need to see the eyes of the presenters - this is where a lot of your expression/sincerity comes from.
    Tim

3. Default

I tried twice but couldn't make it through the first bit of music, first on generic earbuds then on a decent sounding Bluetooth speaker. Even before that it seemed slightly loud and noticeably edgy, too strong in the 6kHz region. Good audio is critical for video, but it's often not given adequate priority.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Yep. Nicely put together with potentially useful information, very clear (but see below) and I like the presentation as a couple - you two are great at this.
    You gave yourself a problem with the exposure (you were underexposed, I might have been tempted to get you correct but blow out the background - or better still, film with a less bright background), but I think that just makes it more real.

I loved the suggestion that the Tuk-tuk ride at 11pm was awesome when the looks on your faces suggested anything but!

Thanks as always. I always value your opinion.
    "
    Two areas for improvement.

The title is "Don't" but the captions are thing you should do (eg the "Don't" is "Don't forget to get all your vaccination on time" but the caption is "Get Vaccinated". I guess most people won't have a problem with this but it might cause an issue for those who don't have English as a first language

Take your shades off. We need to see the eyes of the presenters - this is where a lot of your expression/sincerity comes from.
    Thanks as always. I always value your opinion.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    I tried twice but couldn't make it through the first bit of music, first on generic earbuds then on a decent sounding Bluetooth speaker. Even before that it seemed slightly loud and noticeably edgy, too strong in the 6kHz region. Good audio is critical for video, but it's often not given adequate priority.
    Really? I always worked hard on the sound. I have it at -6.7 for the b-roll and -19 for the background. I wear headphones and really listen as I hate bad sound as well. I quite surprised. Although I am no expert on sound. Any suggestions to improve?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by adventure campitelli View Post
    Really? I always worked hard on the sound. I have it at -6.7 for the b-roll and -19 for the background. I wear headphones and really listen as I hate bad sound as well. I quite surprised. Although I am no expert on sound. Any suggestions to improve?
    What kind of measurement are you referring to, RMS, peak, LUFS? What headphones are you using? I suspect you just need better monitoring and to find a reliable way of measuring level (or choose a lower target level). If -6.7 is an average/LUFS/RMS level then I'd say it's too loud.

For my music mixing I go for something like -14dBLUFS, which is close to the standard for many streaming services.

Headphones aren't ideal for audio work, but sometimes you don't have the freedom to use speakers, or you don't have good monitors and a decent acoustic environment. Maybe the headphones you're using just don't have much response around 6kHz.

Re: Music

Speakers
    What you use to listen to the audio is critical. All music sounds vastly different depending on what device is playing it, so you want to be able to hear through quality gear, particularly if you are not a sound expert with highly developed ears for frequencies, compression, etc. Most people are not ready to go spend $300 on basic studio monitors, so I highly, highly recommend these Samson SR850 headphones for under $40:
    https://amzn.to/2rDV2NO

Those are solid hearing gear. Computer speakers sound like a potato when you compare to studio headphones (even these entry level ones). Everything is richer, more clear and detailed, the dynamic range better expressed, and it lets you make far better decisions when you are working on your audio.

Treatment
    I see what you are doing with the music and I appreciate the effort to keep some in the bg for ambiance, then have something at full volume for the montage.

I would say 2 things:
    1. not all music has the same loudness (which was covered in a previous thread). So if you have some nice acoustic guitars doing some flamenco, its probably not as loud as a modern pop track that's been aggressively compressed to be artificially loud. So when you see that fader set to 0db on a pop track, don't think that means the same as the fader set to 0db on a track that's carried by acoustic guitars. The pop has aggressive drums, bass, sound effects, noises and voices all unnaturally flattened and pushed up near that 0db mark.

2. For music try to err on the side of not letting the volume get too aggressive. We can hear the music even if it is not too loud. When you raise the volume for the montage part, give it a few more db than your background music setting, but don't feel the need to drive it all the way to 0db or make it as present on the meter as your voice during the talking parts. When you raise the pop music to the same "metered" level as your voice parts, you are actually raising the perceived volume of the music quite a bit higher than the voice parts (because of the unnatural loudness in modern pop music).

As a personal note, I personally - my very own opinion, hate that music. Anything with the "raise" or the "drop" with jittery flickery pumps, it puts me off quite a bit. It is much easier to endure when you don't raise the volume on that. If you leave it at -8db or so, then I can let the scene continue, appreciate what you are trying to do and try to move on. But when it blasts my speakers, I have to hit pause in agony and decide to adjust the volume or move on to the next video.

I wanted to follow up by also saying that I really enjoy this series. You guys are getting very good at this. It's fun to come with you on these adventures and I trust your opinions. Makes me feel more prepared to do some traveling myself.

What Tim said about the Do's vs Dont's, definitely fix that. You could have said "Do XX" in the text a few seconds after you introduce the idea, as a contrast to the Don't being discussed. Maybe that works too. But showing the title as the opposite of what you are saying is odd. Also, try a different font. I would recommend something thicker. Feels more adventurous. Maybe with a bit of personality (a bit, no need for too much character in your font choice). Also different effect for the font - try a few more you are almost there. I'm thinking some fade reveal with a bit of fast movement. Once you nail a good effect you'll know it and you can keep using that for the entire series.

Also the sunglasses. When you are doing talking heads, there's an intimacy that you don't want to break. You don't want anything distracting or interfering or acting as a barrier. This could be stuff moving in the background calling attention, or the sunglasses blocking your face, or a hat creating a hard shadow on your face, even for audio a short loud noise or kids in the background, anything that takes away from the intimacy of this close and personal conversation you are having with your viewer.

Kudos on the audio. It's pretty clean for that open environment sitting at the table. What did you use to record that?

Great comments from the experts here! Good advice that I will keep in mind on my own videos.

I have nothing to add to that, but I did enjoy the video. Seems like you gave some very helpful tips for travelers.

10. Default

Thanks a lot for your advice! really appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast