Thread: Premier issue with transitions

Default Premier issue with transitions

Any idea what's going on with my transitions in Premier? Transitions play correctly between clips on the timeline but when used at the beginning or end of clips the background video is not displayed just a checkerboard pattern. The transitions do play/display correctly once the video is rendered.

I sometimes use these at the end of a clip because they fade to black and are smoother than the "fade to black" transition ...

the following clip is fade to black transition... as you can see it does fade to black but once faded the checkerboard pattern is visible!

One thing to note is the transitions are working/displaying correctly between clips on the timeline .. the issue only arises at the beginning or end where there is no other clip to fade from /to
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Not a PP user, but this seems entirely logical to me.

I'm guessing at what you are showing as there was no linked example ...!

At the beginning/end of a clip you are fading to "nothing" - hence it displays as transparent.
    When rendered, unles you render with an alpha chanel (ie transparency) the video has to fill each pixel with "something" so my guess is it has filled it with RGB (0,0,0)

If you want to use this method to fade to black, then make sure you have a black media where you want to show black.

In the Vegas world, if you fade a clip (or "event" in Vegas terminology - ie something on the timeline) and there is nothing below it, this will generally be shown as black, however his is considered bad practice as it is almost certainly not exacty the same black as the black in your video and cannot be guaranteed to be black!

Long and the short - if you want to fade to black - give it some black to fade to.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post

Long and the short - if you want to fade to black - give it some black to fade to.
    As a matter of practice, I usually lay down a black-background video on the bottom track for the length of the entire timeline, with a little extra on each end. It covers a multitude of sins and contingencies. Any excess can always be trimmed from the final cut.

Having cut my teeth on Vegas, I used to rely on what Tim said, but I found that in PP it was not always a given.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post

I'm guessing at what you are showing as there was no linked example ...!

At the beginning/end of a clip you are fading to "nothing" - hence it displays as transparent.
    When rendered, unles you render with an alpha chanel (ie transparency) the video has to fill each pixel with "something" so my guess is it has filled it with RGB (0,0,0)

If you want to use this method to fade to black, then make sure you have a black media where you want to show black.

In the Vegas world, if you fade a clip (or "event" in Vegas terminology - ie something on the timeline) and there is nothing below it, this will generally be shown as black, however his is considered bad practice as it is almost certainly not exacty the same black as the black in your video and cannot be guaranteed to be black!

what is odd... im a long time user of premier and this started happening only recently ... obviously ive inadvertantly changed a setting setting somewhere !

NOTE,

transitions do play/display correctly once the video is rendered.

where it becomes an issue is when i have white titles at the beginning or end of a piece.
    Last edited by enc; 12-09-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

This is a clip with a crossfade transition added at the end. ordinarily, this would just fade to balck on the timeline.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    This is a clip with a crossfade transition added at the end. ordinarily, this would just fade to balck on the timeline.
    .... but, from what you describe, there isn't any black on the timeline! (I know it worked as if there was before but as you say you may have changed a setting (or a Premiere or Windows or video card driver update may have changed something).

Presumably it works if you do exactly what Worddigger does and place a solid black underneath everything.
    Tim