Thread: Best video renduring PC/Mac ?

Default Best video renduring PC/Mac ?

Hi all,
    I love editing videos in Premiere elements, and I use it on the PC. I need a fast machine that can render fast. I've been looking at Core i7 machines, and AMD. But also used Mac Pro's. If I bought a Mac Pro, used, for around $600ish, would that be faster at rendering than a PC at the same price point?.

Thanks in advance. I hope this is the right forum section for this question.

Most definitely not. It's all about cores and Adobe is known for smooching up to Intel so your best bet is a custom built i7 rig though if your budget is tight and electricity is cheap for you an AMD with as many physical cores as you can stretch your budget could still be a sensible option. Basically as long as you're not using any effects that utilise the GPU and don't do much in terms of scaling or animating (video)layers Premiere will have more advantage running on a system with a ridiculous CPU than any GPU can offer. To illustrate, I personally have an old i7 4770K rig and I don't even have a dedicated GPU. I can edit 4K footage without any problem and render times are just as fast as they would have been if I did have a GPU in there (I tried). Another advantage of this is that you can save the money you would otherwise lose on a dedicated GPU and pump that towards other important components like an SSD, RAM or a better CPU. Oh and it also means you can get a cheaper PSU because your system will have less power draw (GPU's are very power hungry) and in theory this should also save you a few pennies in overall running costs over time.

Lastly the PC/Apple thing is just an OS flavour. You can run any OS on a custom build rig and nowadays it's mostly a matter of preference to either Windows or MacOS that should drive your final decision in this case. (If you're looking for instructions to get a MacOS on a custom built system use the search term "hackintosh").
    The cats are watching us...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Most definitely not. It's all about cores and Adobe is known for smooching up to Intel so your best bet is a custom built i7 rig though if your budget is tight and electricity is cheap for you an AMD with as many physical cores as you can stretch your budget could still be a sensible option. Basically as long as you're not using any effects that utilise the GPU and don't do much in terms of scaling or animating (video)layers Premiere will have more advantage running on a system with a ridiculous CPU than any GPU can offer. To illustrate, I personally have an old i7 4770K rig and I don't even have a dedicated GPU. I can edit 4K footage without any problem and render times are just as fast as they would have been if I did have a GPU in there (I tried). Another advantage of this is that you can save the money you would otherwise lose on a dedicated GPU and pump that towards other important components like an SSD, RAM or a better CPU. Oh and it also means you can get a cheaper PSU because your system will have less power draw (GPU's are very power hungry) and in theory this should also save you a few pennies in overall running costs over time.

Lastly the PC/Apple thing is just an OS flavour. You can run any OS on a custom build rig and nowadays it's mostly a matter of preference to either Windows or MacOS that should drive your final decision in this case. (If you're looking for instructions to get a MacOS on a custom built system use the search term "hackintosh").
    alright thats great to know . I'm thinking a prebuilt core i7 desktop then, but not a dell or something like that. Can you link me to something around $900?. Thanks. Won't be for two weeks that I can get it. I'm tired of building PC's i just want it done for me this time.

Quote Originally Posted by potentiallyawesome View Post
    alright thats great to know . I'm thinking a prebuilt core i7 desktop then, but not a dell or something like that. Can you link me to something around $900?. Thanks. Won't be for two weeks that I can get it. I'm tired of building PC's i just want it done for me this time.
    Not sure what cheap retailers in the US are. Google search results suggest getting a refurbished HP Envy workstation from Best Buy. To me that sounds like a good option. Buying a refurbished workstation will definitely save you a few 100
    The cats are watching us...