Thread: Stranger Things - China Travel video

1. Default Stranger Things - China Travel video

I tried to capture different elements of China in this travel film, synced to Kygo's "Stranger Things". From the old and new, rich and poor, I hope you will join me on this little journey.

Any advice for filmmaking appreciated, as I'm just getting started and always learning!

Thank you

Last edited by illuminis; 11-16-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Blog Entries

I very much enjoyed this. The majority of shots were of the little details and this is much more eye-catching than mid/wide shots which seem to proliferate most "travel" videos. It was also well structured: whilst there isn't a particularly obvious narrative (there's some vague notio of following the girl through the shots) it doesn't need to be. There's enough to make the scenes flow into each other.
    That's not to say I thought it was perfect though my negative comments are no more tha personal opinion.
    I didn't like the extensive dissolves around 1:10 - especially as you are disolving from one panning/moving shot to another - often in different directions. Remember, when you have a dissolve, the audience's attention is not being directed towards any particular subject.
    Some shots weren't held for long enough - as a viewer i felt cheated of the opportunity to take in what was being shown.
    Related to the above some of the fast cuts on every beat did not work for me as the content changed too much. For example 1:22 on didn't work, but 2:30 (actually cut to the half beat) works really well.
    One of two of the angled shots felt a bit wrong (neither level nor dutch tilt) eg 2:08

But on the whole I really liked how you'd varied the type of shot, type of transition, and length of shot. Well done.
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I very much enjoyed this. The majority of shots were of the little details and this is much more eye-catching than mid/wide shots which seem to proliferate most "travel" videos. It was also well structured: whilst there isn't a particularly obvious narrative (there's some vague notio of following the girl through the shots) it doesn't need to be. There's enough to make the scenes flow into each other.
    That's not to say I thought it was perfect though my negative comments are no more tha personal opinion.
    I didn't like the extensive dissolves around 1:10 - especially as you are disolving from one panning/moving shot to another - often in different directions. Remember, when you have a dissolve, the audience's attention is not being directed towards any particular subject.
    Some shots weren't held for long enough - as a viewer i felt cheated of the opportunity to take in what was being shown.
    Related to the above some of the fast cuts on every beat did not work for me as the content changed too much. For example 1:22 on didn't work, but 2:30 (actually cut to the half beat) works really well.
    One of two of the angled shots felt a bit wrong (neither level nor dutch tilt) eg 2:08

But on the whole I really liked how you'd varied the type of shot, type of transition, and length of shot. Well done.

Thanks for the great critique Tim, I'll definitely keep that in mind. I chose a song with a faster tempo, and definitely found it more challenging to work with, I felt inclined to match the beat with quick cuts. I'll try to keep things slower and more even in the future. I also don't think I'll do a video longer than 2-3 minutes to keep the narrative more focused.

4. Default

I really didn't like the song, but that is always personal. I get that all the time on my videos as well. The shots you took we very nice but a little shaky on some. Not sure if you're using a gimbal or not. I would recommend adding sound effects if you can. It will bring your audience there, since you have no commentary or story. Its a very beautiful video. Overall very good work.