Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! $1400 Budget,BUILDING PC 4 vid editing+dvd duplication

1. Default HELP! $1400 Budget,BUILDING PC 4 vid editing+dvd duplication

im building a comp for my friend who will be doing the video editing/ dvd duplication for a record label i just started recently... SOME1 HELP PLEASE ... i got 1400$ to spend, and ive been reading up lots but the more i read the worse off i am ... very confused right now ... this is what i want the comp to look like ... 3 or 4 - 16x dvd burners, a dual core processor - intel or amd - whatever is best for video editing, at least a gig of fast ram to start but i want to be able to upgrade to lots more soon when money starts coming, dont have a clue on what kind of video card i need, but as far as i know i dont need a card that makes resolutions for video games better, i need a video capture or video editing card, i think i read that those are dedicated to encoding mpeg and mpeg 2 and greatly speed the process of rendering video up ... which is what i want to accomplish, im not to worried about hard drives right now, i can get more and bigger hard drives later, i have NO clue on what kind of motherboard to get at all, i know i want to be able to upgrade bigtime and soon, im reading that pci express is the new thing, so im guessing i want that, and im seeing sata hard drives and the word raid all over the place so im guessing thats the way to go, i know with al this junk im gonna need a big power supply, im building from the ground up for the first time so any help is apreciated, so far ive been on pricewatch and new egg and tiger direct, ive heard that its not best to go with the cheapest parts but to go with known and proven brands like asus gigabyte, and kingston for ram, but im pretty lost, dont have a clue about what kinda fans i need or the cables i need and if i can use old cables off of some dead pentium 3 comps that are laying around, what kinda tower i need for a bunch of burners ... so thanx in advance for the advice

Blog Entries

I would strongly advise you start by looking at prices from system builders. Building a PC is failry straightforward, but mate you sound a little bit out of your depth.

It would also help if you broke down you query into logical steps. It's very hard to read your post and answer everything you've asked. I advise you sit down with a blank spreadsheet and write down all the components you need. Then take each component seperately and start reading reviews. Check compatibility too. Once you've got a list of compatible components, start looking for the best prices. You need to get organised.

Unfortuinately kitting out a PC with 4+ drives isn't really an option. You'll need a controlller card for the drives, and this kind of duplication setup is really done using a seperate duplication tower.

3. Default thanx

Thanks, you told me what i needed to hear.
    Now i know i will have to set up a duplicator later.

After reading more I'm thinking about going with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 or 4200 Dual Core, I've found out that the 4200 has 1mb of l2 cache, I haven't found out if the 3800 also has 1mb of l2 cache, and I'm very confused about what motherboard to get, I know I want a motherboard that supports pci express, and something that will give me lots of room for upgrading in the future, I'm seeing that some motherboards mention support for 1066 frontside bus, not sure what that means to me, and I know I want a motherboard that handles at least pc 3200, and at least a few gigs of it, starting with 1 - 2 gigs of ram, probably going with 2 - 200 gig sata hd setup, dvd drive, dvd burner, i need some help on what motherboard to get and the extra stuff ... cables, power supply (i know i'll need a lot of power), fans, the tower with enough space for a bunch of hard drives and whatever else i havent named (probably because i dont know i need it, so mention it if i left something out)

ALMOST FORGOT - NO CLUE WHAT KIND OF VIDEO CARD TO GET, all that will be done on this computer is video capture from a sony mini dv handycam dcr-hc65, video editing, and authoring, and maybe a little photoshop every now and then, but i read that there are cards that will greatly decrease rendering times of encoding video, i want one of those for this comp but im lost on what i need, sony vegas will be used on this computer if that means anything

Manchester, UK

The best motherboard for an Athlon X2 IMHO is the Asus A8N-SLI.

Fantastic board.

I sense a bit of bias

:.: StudioX Productions :.:
    Dedicated to low-budget film-making

Manchester, UK

Heh... you'd swear I work for Asus wouldn't you

As for video card - the one I mentioned in the other video card thread (i appreciate the thanks BTW ) should be nice for you. Probably *slightly* more than you need, but if you're spending that much on a PC, you may as well go for it.

PSU? Go for at least a decent branded 430W PSU - something like a Tagan, Coolermaster, Hiper, Antec for example. Possibly maybe a bit more if you're having 2xoptical drives and 2xHDDs.

I think you'll be hard pressed to building both machines within that budget. For the PC aiming to spend around £500 / $850. This will insure you buy a good motherboard and some stong components which u will be able to upgrade as you go. As Mike suggested I'd have to agree the Asus A8n SLI - Delux/Premium are fantastic platforms. I'm running the delux on my main system and it handles all i throw at it. It has great sata raid facilities too - 8 sata ports!!!

As for the duplication machine I found this in google - I'm sure you may be able to find something cheaper over there in the states but this is a good benchmark for prices but at roughly $700 its quite high.

Video cards - unless you doing high end 3d a standard 256 dual head card will do. It doesn't need all the bells and whistles but something with stong Open GL engineering is always a help especially if doing lots of compositing or after FX work

Mike suggested a 430w psu - The bigger the better - If u are gonna have multipe hard disks a 550W is a min requirement. Sata drives suck up the juice.

Seymore - before u go there - Yes I am biased - he he - its a proven platform and O love it - Mike is a wise wise wise man!!!

Just been doing a lil research into dvd burning

It is poss to build a machine your self. The general rule of thumb is a sfollows: Some applications support simoltanious burning as long as all the burners are are the same model. Where the first problem occurs is on bandwith. Because its sending so much data down the one ide cable to 2 burners it can result in the burn cacheing out. Its a cheap solution but not a garantee!!!

Most information I've found on other forums has said u are better off going for a pre built unit.

9. Default

Now i got 1400 for a computer, I will worry about getting a duplicator later, its not a priority...

"A8N-SLI Deluxe
    Supports AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64FX/Athlon 64
    NVIDIA nForce4 SLI
    PCI Express Architecture
    SATA 3Gb/s
    Dual RAID
    Dual Gigabit LAN & AI NET2
    NV Firewall
    AI NOS™
    AI Audio (8-channel Audio) "

I haven't seen amd athlon 64 x2 dual core mentioned anywhere, I'm leaning towards the amd athlon x2 4400, if that motherboard does support the x2 dual core processors, which should i go with premium or deluxe, which one is better, or has more upgradeability, ive been to the asus site and tried yahoo, and been on a bunch of sites off of pricewatch trying to figure it out ...

also is ddr (400) 3200 - 3 gb Corsair w/Heatsink (Twinx2048-3200c2) - $302 good ram, and is that price good, ive been told that its important to get quality parts and not just the cheapest ones i see, so am i going in the right direction ?

power supply - i want 600 - 700 w at least, im going to have an expensive video card, an audio card, at least 2 hard drives, and 2 gigs of ram and i know the more junk i got the more power i need, can someone suggest a good power suply thats at least 600 w or more, and i mean like by name and model number or even link

shin eysu g675 thermal grease (cools pc better) $14.00 ... do i want this ? this is way over my head, im seeing grease and water cooling and tubing,
    What kinda fans do i need, i got 2 lasko window units, cant i just open the comp up and leave the laskos pointing toward it jk
    but seriously HELP!!!
    and i dont know if it was a joke but some1 mentioned a radiotor with the water coling ... i wanna stay away from the waterworks if possible
    Any suggestions on which fans i need i guess, or do i need fans, sorry, this is my first time doing this, i have someone who will help me assemble the pc when i get the parts, and is there an assembly kit i need to buy with the screws and cables and all

and do u have a site for the video card that u were talking about

im going to get a wester digital 74 gig 10,000 raptor and a 250 gig 7,200 drive

im lost on picking a case to, dont care about looks, long as i will be able to stick all that junk in it ... any suggestions, be specific please, i read somewhere on this forum "black looks professional" ... that doesnt help lol
    and thanx again people.

10. Default

Pre-Tested and Setup AMD Athlon 64/FX/X2 (939) Barebones System $18.00 $18.00
    Case: 100159 - NO PS - Antec Performance One P160 ATX Mi $125.00 $125.00
    Power Supply: 100995 - PS 680W - Thermaltake W0049 PurePower 2xP $149.00 $149.00
    Case Fan: 100096 - 120mm - Lian Li BS-01 Aluminum Blower Set $25.00 $25.00
    Motherboard: 110704 - Asus A8N-SLI Premium nForce4 SLI Audio/GB $179.00 $179.00
    Processor: 120241 - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual-Core 1MB Per $556.00 $556.00
    Heatsink Fan: 130150 - Thermaltake A1772 AMD Recommended for Opt $49.00 $49.00
    Thermal Grease: 800018 - Shin-Etsu G675 Thermal Grease (Cools CPU $14.00 $14.00
    Memory: 140327 - DDR (400) 3200 - 2 GB Corsair w/Heatsink $301.00 $301.00
    2nd Memory: None
    Round Cables: 270157 - Round Cables UV Kit 2-24" IDE 1-18" FDD 1 $29.00 $29.00
    Warranty: 800033 - Motherboard-CPU Warranty - 1 Year w/30 Da $9.99 $9.99

Subtotal for 80232 with your selected options: $1,454.99

does this sound about right ? and will i be able to use my 200 gig non sata drive until i can afford to install sata hard drives

am i going overboard with anything and i know im missing the video card and hard drives, anything else im missing that i would need right away, already got windows xp home edition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast