Thread: USING YOUTUBE VIDEO

Default USING YOUTUBE VIDEO

Does anyone have any creative ways to talk about or "show" a youtube video in a documentary without actually showing the video?

I cant afford the license to use it (the owner has licensed it, and while hes on board with the doc, he also wants to make money off his viral video.)

The video plays a small but significant part of the story I am telling and so would like to at least mention it, if only briefly. It seems silly to talk about it without being able to also show it so just wondering if anyone has any tips or creative ways to talk about the video without showing it that will still make the viewer not feel like theyre missing out. Thanks

Blog Entries

An interesting discussion point.

People have been discussing things they are unable to show forever (it's called storytelling - whether that be word of mouth, priinted word, pictures or films) so I'm sure we can come up with something.

First and most obviously, if your documentary is primarily for viewing online, include a clickable link to the the owner's vid (this will hopefully imcrease his hit count and he'll be well leased). If the vid is as significant as you suggest, I suspect a large number of viewers will forllow the link.
    Will he let you use stills from the video?
    Perhaps he would be willing to film himself summarising the relevant part of the video (again this wcould help drive traffic to his video)
    Will he let you show a blurred/distordted version of it (perhaps in the background with you - or someone -as presenter talking over it?

It's a bit difficult to know what might work without knowing anything about the subject and style of your documentary or the content of his vid.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by aljizah View Post
    Does anyone have any creative ways to talk about or "show" a youtube video in a documentary without actually showing the video?

I cant afford the license to use it (the owner has licensed it, and while hes on board with the doc, he also wants to make money off his viral video.)

The video plays a small but significant part of the story I am telling and so would like to at least mention it, if only briefly. It seems silly to talk about it without being able to also show it so just wondering if anyone has any tips or creative ways to talk about the video without showing it that will still make the viewer not feel like theyre missing out. Thanks
    Under the 'Fair Use' doctrine, if you are doing a documentary about a subject, you may use brief excerpts from the subject. Just be sure what you are making is a documentary and that inclusion of those portions are absolutely necessary in order to support the intended purpose of the documentary. And be sure to give a credit to the producer of the referenced material.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    Under the 'Fair Use' doctrine, if you are doing a documentary about a subject, you may use brief excerpts from the subject. Just be sure what you are making is a documentary and that inclusion of those portions are absolutely necessary in order to support the intended purpose of the documentary. And be sure to give a credit to the producer of the referenced material.
    I'd be careful with "Fair Use" - it's not international. For example in the UK
    Documentary makers can use clips from other material under the legal concepts of 'criticism and review' exclusion or 'fair dealing'.

'Criticism and review' is an activity which falls within permitted acts under copyright law. It is one of three types of activity that are considered 'fair dealing'. Fair dealing applies to research and private study, for the purposes of criticism and review, and for the purposes of reporting current events. The key to this 'defence' to copyright infringement is that the use must be fair.

alizar's documentary isn't really using the YT video for criticism and review, private study or, presumably, reporting current events.
    Wha's more he has been in touch with the creator and it would be potrmtially discourteous to turn round now and say "I'm going to use it anyway".
    Tim

Thanks, I actually like the "stills" idea and might try that.

The doc is about a man from Northern Michigan who discovered sodalite in some beach pebbles. The rocks are common, however its the first time these rocks have been discovered in Michigan, which is what the doc is about. He made a video of finding one of the rocks on the beach that went viral. It has made them famous across the world.

Just for some context.

Blog Entries

I appreciate there's probably more to it than that, but "Man finds rock" going viral beats my most boring subject to date (pointing brickwork) getting 200,000+ views.
    The internet is truly a universe where anything that can happen will happen.

If you use stills, consider adding some movement panning and scanning (Ken Burn's effect) or even the fake 3D look (where you mask several layers and set them at different places along the Z axis) but only if appropriate for the film, of course.
    Tim