Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall Foliage

Default Fall Foliage

I just finished another video in my ongoing series celebrating the beauty of our neighborhood. This one takes a look at some of the colorful fall foliage that can been seen in our area -- something San Diego generally isn't known for.

I tried a couple of new things in this one... I did a little bit of green screen effect for the opening. I'm also on-camera for a brief intro and "outro". (I think I sound a bit rushed on that last one, but it was the best take I had.) Anyway, let me know what you think...as always, I value your opinions!

Music by Stock Production
    https://audiojungle.net/item/inspired/22691311Licensed by AudioJungle

2. Default

Splendid job Ray. You certainly improve every time. Well done.
    Wynn.

Thanks, Wynn!

Blog Entries

If you really want to get spectacular autumn footage (and have a bit of money to spare) get a red enhancing (rare earth) filter.

Basically they shorten the wavelength of light so that near infra-red becomes more visible and boy, do they make the reds pop.

(They are also really good for photographing stars as they cut out a lot of air polution).

But they are expensive, at least, the proper ones are. The cheap ones don't do anything and are just glorified UV filters.

Blog Entries

Nice pics Ray.
    I liked the opeing animation - did you create this yourself? If so how - no green/ble (screen) spillage as far as I can see.
    I was concerned once it started it was just going to be lots of pretty pics to music, but I really appreciated that you added some commentary and went some way towads just making it a list ("Here's an oak", "Here's a spruce") a trap that it is so easy to fall into with this kind of film.
    However, I think there might be room to improve on this further.
    I liked that you didn't fill it with facts.
    However it still felt to me a little disjointed and I wonder whether this was to do with the way the music faded in and out. Try ducking he volume slightly more slowly - give us a bit more time after ducking before introducing the narration. As it is it felt to me a bit like "Here's a music bit, now here's a speaking bit".
    Even better, if you have the facilities or can afford something like SmartSound this enables you to create different mixes for different arts of the soundtrack - so rather than drop the volume of everything you can "for example" cut the lead instruments only, or perhaps lead instruents and percussion for the sections whee you want to speak. But I'm not criticising what you've done - just making suggestions that you might consider.
    Tim

Thanks Tim! Excellent comments.

The opening bit with the blowing leaves was done with green screen. I shot it outside in full sun, on our patio. I taped a sheet of bright green poster board to the concrete, then mounted the camera, pointing downwards, on a monopod extended horizontally from the top of a table. I covered the green poster board with leaves, then used "canned air" to blow them away while recording. I reshot it several times to make sure I had at least a couple good takes to choose from.

The composite was done in Final Cut Pro, and was incredibly easy to do. I did have to play around with the adjustments a bit to get the shadows of the leaves to drop out with the rest of the green screen.

7. Default

My goodness Ray,
    I’m leftbreathless with admiration on your creativity and dedication.Congratulations again. Wynn.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dunakin View Post
    Thanks Tim! Excellent comments.

The opening bit with the blowing leaves was done with green screen. I shot it outside in full sun, on our patio....
    That's exactly how I would have attempted it! And that is why I am so surprised at how little spillage there is. Great job.
    Tim

Great stuff as usual!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dunakin View Post
    The opening bit with the blowing leaves was done with green screen. I shot it outside in full sun, on our patio. I taped a sheet of bright green poster board to the concrete, then mounted the camera, pointing downwards, on a monopod extended horizontally from the top of a table. I covered the green poster board with leaves, then used "canned air" to blow them away while recording.
    Now I want to go out and try this If only I had a bit more time :(
    The cats are watching us...

10. Default

Nice Shots! Next time try to be a little more over the top when on camera. I find it hard to do myself as well, but people want to be entertained as well. Just a little tweak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast