Thread: Looking to get a new monitor

Default Looking to get a new monitor

Hello,

I am a wannabe YouTuber and have been using final cut pro on 16:9 monitor (only for couple of months so I'm still a newbie).

Just wanted to upgrade my monitor to something that I will be using for a long time.

Did some research on 21:9 monitors and came across this giveaway http://geni.us/UltraWideFestivalBoard where they are giving away lg's 21:9 ultrawide monitors.

It is said that the monitors are 4K or 5K ultrawides.

Would these be any good when editing videos?

How different is 21:9 compared to 16:9 monitors?

Also, how big of a difference does it make when using 4K or 5K monitors from 1080p?

Did some research on 21:9 monitors and came across this giveaway http://geni.us/UltraWideFestivalBoard where they are giving away lg's 21:9 ultrawide monitors.
    •giveaway? Nothing comes free, beware of hidden costs

It is said that the monitors are 4K or 5K ultrawides.
    •Sketchy... they don't even know?

Would these be any good when editing videos?
    •It's just a monitor, you might get an edge with the extra screen estate but it's not as practical as multiple monitors.

How different is 21:9 compared to 16:9 monitors?
    •It's like comparing a sedan car to a hatchback or a cube to a rectangle... or better yet an oblong to a slightly more elongated oblong.
    •In practicality, you'll never be able to watch 90% of the contemporary available footage full screen without vertical black bars (which are ten times worse than horizontal black bars in my humble opinion) since 16:9 is the most commonly used aspect ratio.

Also, how big of a difference does it make when using 4K or 5K monitors from 1080p?
    •If the actual size of the screen is big enough it's quite noticeable but it's all a combination of screen size & distance.

Bottom line, 21:9 is a bit of a useless aspect ratio for actual use, the only minor advantage it gives you is no horizontal black bars when viewing stuff that's produced in the 21:9 aspect ratio. That stuff is generally speaking 'some films' (not even all films).

On the other hand... it could be a "free" monitor if it's a true giveaway.
    The cats are watching us...