Thread: Rivers of Light: Sorrento Valley time-lapse

Default Rivers of Light: Sorrento Valley time-lapse

Time-lapse photography turns freeways into scenic rivers of light:

Music:
    “Strings” by Nenuache Audio
    https://audiojungle.net/item/strings/21740959

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Ray Dunakin; 09-22-2018 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dunakin View Post
    Enjoy!
    I did!
    The animated movement didn't flow quite as nice as it could've though. What I notice is that the movement will stop right before the cut to the next scene. In my opinion it would've been nicer to cut to the next scene on a fluid motion and perhaps also group the motion direction a bit more. Right now it feels a bit back and forth too much.
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    What I notice is that the movement will stop right before the cut to the next scene. In my opinion it would've been nicer to cut to the next scene on a fluid motion and perhaps also group the motion direction a bit more.
    I was always told that, unless following action, one should never cut into a pan or tilt - a pan/tilt should start from static and finish static and I guess these are the guidlines Ray is following here. I'd suggest that this has been relaxed somewhat nowadays and one left to right pan can cut to s similarly paced right to left pan both moving.

I think the awkwardness you (and I) feel in this video is more to do with:

Right now it feels a bit back and forth too much.
    than the pans and tilts stopping, but I also supect that it would work better if the static shots at the beginning and end of each pan/tilt had been held for a bit longer.

This back & forth movement is problematic and could prompt an interesting dicussion:

How do we add interest to a static scene such as a landscape with camera movement whilst avoiding it either feeling repetitive or like we're going backwards and forwards?
    I think Ray's made a good attempt at achieving it - if you analyse it, there are four cases where camera movement is reversed either side of a cut.

(Just to prove I've been particularly anal here, I noted the shot movement as:
    down, up, out, down, up, static, down/in, out/up, down/out, pan right, out, up, static, up, out (expand right & down), down & right, pan right, static, pan left, down)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I was always told that, unless following action, one should never cut into a pan or tilt - a pan/tilt should start from static and finish static and I guess these are the guidlines Ray is following here. I'd suggest that this has been relaxed somewhat nowadays and one left to right pan can cut to s similarly paced right to left pan both moving.
    Hmmm this rings a vague bell somewhere but I have to admit I never had the proper training to be fair. I do know that I generally like to cut during motion into a new scene with the same motion which keeps the flow for me. So far I haven't heard my clients complain

You're right about the back & forth movement being the thing that mostly unsettles.
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

I do know that I generally like to cut during motion into a new scene with the same motion which keeps the flow for me. So far I haven't heard my clients complain
    I think that's fine - it's cutting from moving to a static or a different direction that's the problem. You're probably doing it naturally, without even thinking about it.

I always think the best rule of thumb is if it looks OK on the following day, then it probably IS OK.
    Tim

6. Default

Cool time lapse. I've got to do more in my videos

Thanks for all the feedback, it's very helpful! I read all the comments in the email notifications, and didn't realize until now that I hadn't gotten back here to respond.

Until now I had no idea what rules there might be for pans. Good to know! I tried to go by what "felt" right but I think I probably overdid it a bit on this video.