Thread: Audio Frequencies for Paranormal Investigation ((HELP))

Question Audio Frequencies for Paranormal Investigation ((HELP))

Hello all,

As this isn't a paranormal forum I'll keep the details of what I'm investigating to myself, I'm sure it'd just muddy up the issue anyway. While not to be too vague, I'm investigating phenomena similar to EVP (electronic voice phenomena) though with an auditory twist. Two women I know tell me that they're able to communicate with said disembodied voices to the extent that they can have full on, to an outside looker, one-sided conversations with them because they're able to actually hear the voices in question. Quite a claim I know, but without going into too much detail, they've demonstrated enough through testing to back up their claims that they either have voices helping them with the tests or they're friggin psychic.

I've done interviews with the two of them together to make sure that said voices they talk to actually travel in sound-waves and isn't some sort of internal voices within their brains (telepathy, insanity, ect). They've both said that the voices will be muffled and quieted if they cover their ears, the voices can be heard originating from different directions and sides of their heads (left ear/right ear). Also that the voices do have auditory effects such as echo in certain rooms. I've them and they both have very attuned hearing, hearing beyond the regular human frequency spectrum of 20hz to 20,000khz which has lead me to hypothesizing that if they're able to hear these disembodied voices clearly and audibly while I and others cant, then perhaps these voices are carried on frequencies outside of normal human hearing.

My question for you audio experts here is this:

What is the most easily attainable recording equipment and mics for recording at ultra-low and high-frequencies outside of normal human hearing. Also, is it possible to record a piece of audio that had picked up a sound outside of the human hearing spectrum and alter the frequency up or down to make said sound actually audible to the regular human ears?

I'm also interested in knowing if there any other aspects of sound other then frequency that could cause a sound to be inaudible to some or most that perhaps I should look into as well?

Thank you.

This isn't really an audio forum either. Sure we know a thing or two but most of us are dealing with the visual wave spectrum.
    I found a nice writeup about sub 20hz frequencies for you though:
    https://sound.stackexchange.com/ques...m-0-1-to-20-hz

And perhaps that's a better forum to ask this stuff as well.
    Now if you go high enough in the frequencies I suspect you'll just leave the sound spectrum and enter the visual? I never was strong in physics though so this could be super wrong but I'm hoping someone either confirms or corrects me here so I can learn something
    The cats are watching us...

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Now if you go high enough in the frequencies I suspect you'll just leave the sound spectrum and enter the visual? I never was strong in physics though so this could be super wrong but I'm hoping someone either confirms or corrects me here so I can learn something
    Sound is pressure waves in a physical medium, usually air. Light is waves of electromagnetic energy. There's no frequency of sound that will become light.

4. Default

You can make infrasonic audio heard by speeding it up or using a pitch shifting effect. Similarly, you can make ultrasonic audio heard by slowing it down or shifting the pitch digitally.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    You can make infrasonic audio heard by speeding it up or using a pitch shifting effect. Similarly, you can make ultrasonic audio heard by slowing it down or shifting the pitch digitally.
    Do you know usually by how many hz it needs to be shifted? Like say I'm wanting to hear something at 10hz.. would I then need to pitch shift the audio by +1-hrz to bring it to an audible 20hz? ect ect?

Secondly. What kind of equipment do I need to record outside of the range of 20hz to 20khz? Do I need a special recorder AND microphone? Or just one or the other being specialized?

Thanks for the help.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Half-dude View Post
    Do you know usually by how many hz it needs to be shifted? Like say I'm wanting to hear something at 10hz.. would I then need to pitch shift the audio by +1-hrz to bring it to an audible 20hz? ect ect?
    Try to think in ratios. To hear something that's 10Hz you'll probably want to bring in well into the audible band. Something like x10, which would get it to 100Hz, might be about right. One question you'll have to answer is, do you want the speed to change or not? If not you'll need to use a more sophisticated pitch shifting effect. Fortunately that's relatively common these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Half-dude View Post
    Secondly. What kind of equipment do I need to record outside of the range of 20hz to 20khz? Do I need a special recorder AND microphone? Or just one or the other being specialized?
    Both would have to go to the desired frequency. I have no idea what equipment does that as I never have to record sounds that can't be heard by humans.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Sound is pressure waves in a physical medium, usually air. Light is waves of electromagnetic energy. There's no frequency of sound that will become light.
    Thanks makes sense actually
    The cats are watching us...