Thread: Should I charge licensing?

Default Should I charge licensing?

So after paying careful attention to this older thread and what has been said in there I've been re-thinking my pricing a bit. One thing I hadn't thought about at all is charging for licensing. To be fair though none of my clients where big enough to have that much reach really so that didn't quite matter either. However my current prospect will use my work nationally instead of locally so this got me thinking it might be good to ask a small licensing fee. On the other hand to make things a bit complicated (for me at least) they will be the ones who create all the assets so I'll just be the director/editor/motion designer/sound engineer/voice artist (it's going to be a +/- 30-60 seconds ad using some pictures in faux 3D parallax and some video).
    Would it still make sense to ask a licensing fee? And if so, what would be reasonable?

Looking forward to your thoughts!
    The cats are watching us...

Grapes, this questions is beyond my experience. It does make sense to start considering licensing for national marketing campaigns. All I know is that you can negotiate anything as long as it makes sense to both parties. The way I see it, the type of people that are in a position to request a licensing deal would be:
    - Important talent
    - Producers
    - An important director/editor

And the case would be made stronger by how much of a deal you are giving them upfront. Some companies are unsure about the reach of their marketing campaign and would be happier to have a licensing deal with a lower upfront cost in case they decide to cut the marketing short later on. And if the marketing campaign goes well, they'd be happy to extend the reach and pay more in licensing because they are seeing results from the work.

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    And the case would be made stronger by how much of a deal you are giving them upfront. Some companies are unsure about the reach of their marketing campaign and would be happier to have a licensing deal with a lower upfront cost in case they decide to cut the marketing short later on. And if the marketing campaign goes well, they'd be happy to extend the reach and pay more in licensing because they are seeing results from the work.
    You make an excellent point here and I'm considering to give them free online use and renegotiation if they plan to broadcast.
    The cats are watching us...