Thread: What I have learned so far......

Default What I have learned so far......

Hi,

As a complete novice I've been doing some work to try and get my head around the basic of using my DSLR to capture movie.

Focus - I find it impossible to focus when using a gimbal and am learning that an aperture of about f11 or f13 is pretty good for keeping the subject in focus. Problem is pretty much everything is in focus which isn't always to look I'm going for. Wider aperture and I find it very difficult to keep the subject in focus but I'll keep practicing.
    When my camera is tripod mounted I find focussing so much easier.

Stability - keeping everything stable is harder than I had anticipated. Gimbal is great but I'm trying to perfect 'that walk.'
    Again, on a tripod its great.

Think I'm managing frame rate OK but I need to keep this in mind as I easily forget when I concentrating on everything else.

Audio is awful, but for what I am doing at the moment I am using music and detaching the audio so its not a problem.

I'm enjoying learning something new, but I've a long way to go.
    Enjoying the forum too.

Chris

Thanks for the reply. I am a complete beginner and have found watching youtube videos quite useful and have given me some ideas, such as using f13 for example for keeping things in focus. It actually helps me with where I am at the moment. As I progress in my hobby hopefully I will get better control, fingers crossed anyway.
    Thanks again.

Great you have come so far....Nice keep trying and keep learning

Quote Originally Posted by Jediboy View Post
    Focus - I find it impossible to focus when using a gimbal and am learning that an aperture of about f11 or f13 is pretty good for keeping the subject in focus. Problem is pretty much everything is in focus which isn't always to look I'm going for. Wider aperture and I find it very difficult to keep the subject in focus but I'll keep practicing.
    When my camera is tripod mounted I find focussing so much easier.
    Watch this:
    https://youtu.be/NqOKm3Z9zX0

I would recommend you to watch most of his videos. Especially about lighting and gimbals.

Stability - keeping everything stable is harder than I had anticipated. Gimbal is great but I'm trying to perfect 'that walk.'
    Again, on a tripod its great.
    Watch this, but there are a lot of good video about it. Most important part is to actually practice.
    https://youtu.be/k4mtJTBdtVs

Think I'm managing frame rate OK but I need to keep this in mind as I easily forget when I concentrating on everything else.
    Watch this - SUPER IMPORTANT!
    https://youtu.be/qAVfIQ2G7Io

Audio is awful, but for what I am doing at the moment I am using music and detaching the audio so its not a problem.
    Buy this mic - it's $50 and have very good audio.
    http://www.rode.com/microphones/videomicro

I'm enjoying learning something new, but I've a long way to go.
    Enjoying the forum too.

Chris
    As long as you have fun doing it - it will be a joyride.

Thanks for this RL_Sensei.
    I will have a look at the links this evening when I have a bit more time on my hands.

And despite the slow progress I am very much enjoying learning. Mixed results but enjoying it.
    Cheers

Blog Entries

Hi Jediboy. I hope you continue to share your journey with us. We are all learning all the time (or at least we should be).
    One thing i will pick up on - you mention your audio is rubbish but it doesn't matter for now. Please keep the "for now" in mind. Great video with music slapped on is like looking at your neighbours holiday snapshots. To create a story (which is what keep people watching) you need good audio. I cannot emphasize how much audio draws the audience in (or doesn't). If we had smellyvision that would be an even greater involvement, but we don't. Audio is at least 50% of the video experience (many directors put it as high as 70-75%). It is comparatively cheap to get adequate audio for most situation (certainly compared to the cost of cameras) though great audio in all situations can cost a small fortune.

The thing is, so long as the subject is engaging enugh, people will happily watch poor quality footage but will not stand for dreadful audio. You're unlikely to get really poor footage with modern cameras, but audio requires a bit of thought. The most basic of which is "how do I get the mic as close to the source of the sound as possible?". Think like that and you won't go far wrong.***

Massive over-simplification, but I can't over -emphasise how important sound is.
    Tim

Thanks Tim. Very helpful as I wasn't really giving enough thought to sound. I am making a work video that will have some sound but will have music over the top so was neglecting the sound aspect. I did in fact buy a cheap mic for my DSLR but just plonked it on top of my camera without really thinking about it.
    I'll certainly remember now about having the mic as close to the sound as possible.
    Cheers.