Thread: "Nevada Nights 2018"

Default "Nevada Nights 2018"

I've been away from the forum for a while, and haven't had time to do any video for a long time either. But recently I took my annual trip to Nevada and the Mojave desert, and did shoot a lot of video during the trip.

I'm still sorting and editing the hundreds of photos and videos. Here's the first video I've completed…”Nevada Nights 2018” featuring time-lapse photography of the stars and Milky Way. The intro was kind of an afterthought -- at the time I was thinking more about getting the time-lapse shots and didn't have a plan for how I would use it in a video. As a result I didn't have any suitable video for the intro and had to piece something together using stills. It's better than nothing (I think) but not ideal:

https://youtu.be/WVDKf3ubWFQ

Music:
    "Some Dreamy Place"
    by Eric Matyas
    www.soundimage.org

2. Default

Hi Ray,
    How good to hear from you after such a long break. I kept wondering what you were up to, so I was so pleased to view your latest epic.

I think it's a great video and with your dulcet tone voice-over that suits it so well. Wish I had locations like that to visit.

Cheers. Wynn

Thanks Wynn, I'm glad you liked it.

Life's just been throwing a lot at me lately, keeping me too busy for the video hobby. And unfortunately my big plans for getting a lot of great drone footage during my Nevada trip went kaput due to "technical issues" that turned out to be a bone-headed user error. But I did get some on-the-ground footage, so I'll make the best of what I got.

Blog Entries

Who can fail to be humbled by such shots of the heavens? Stunning.
    1. What shutter speed were you using to get so many stars?
    2. I'd have preferred a slower voice - I kinda get that the "matter of fact, unemotional voice" contasts nicely with what the viewer might be witnessing, but it just seems a Carl Sagan or Prof Brian Cox would suit it better (for me)
    3. The end was rather abrupt, I wonder whether a slower transition to the daylight might work better?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Who can fail to be humbled by such shots of the heavens? Stunning.
    1. What shutter speed were you using to get so many stars?
    2. I'd have preferred a slower voice - I kinda get that the "matter of fact, unemotional voice" contasts nicely with what the viewer might be witnessing, but it just seems a Carl Sagan or Prof Brian Cox would suit it better (for me)
    3. The end was rather abrupt, I wonder whether a slower transition to the daylight might work better?
    Thanks Tim!

1. Most of the time-lapse shots were done with a 10mm lens, f2.8, ISO 6400. Exposure times were generally 20-25 seconds.

2. Yeah, it probably could have been a wee bit slower. I'm still working on how to speak slower without it ending up sounding kind of flat and emotionless.

3. Definitely agree there.

I think your time lapse of the stars are wonderful. You've done a cracking job with those.
    Good work.

Lovely vid, enjoyed watching it!
    The cats are watching us...