Thread: Grateful Dead Cover Band Live Video

1. Default Grateful Dead Cover Band Live Video

A friend of mine was in town with his band so I took the opportunity to capture the show. I recorded an earlier show in the tour but the audio didn't quite work out. Fortunately I had a second shot at it.

Deficiencies include terrible light and some framing errors. The keyboards camera and the low down stage right camera should have been swapped. The wide angle would have been better over the keyboard and the narrower shot would have captured the stage left guitarist better. Oh well. Also, I started the audio recorder a few seconds late so I filled in with some camera audio.

I got creative during the transition between the second and third songs and during solos on the third song and I think it came out well overall in spite of the mistakes.

The audio came out okay, Not perfect but adequate. Fortunately they let me control the live mix. Trying to mix from stage rarely works out well, which is why the audio for the first show wasn't good. Whether you like this video or not will probably have a lot to do with whether you like the music or not.

2. Default

I like the music, it's the right to relax. I'm not in the position to criticize anything, because I can't make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    A friend of mine was in town with his band so I took the opportunity to capture the show. I recorded an earlier show in the tour but the audio didn't quite work out. Fortunately I had a second shot at it.

Deficiencies include terrible light and some framing errors. The keyboards camera and the low down stage right camera should have been swapped. The wide angle would have been better over the keyboard and the narrower shot would have captured the stage left guitarist better. Oh well. Also, I started the audio recorder a few seconds late so I filled in with some camera audio.

I got creative during the transition between the second and third songs and during solos on the third song and I think it came out well overall in spite of the mistakes.

The audio came out okay, Not perfect but adequate. Fortunately they let me control the live mix. Trying to mix from stage rarely works out well, which is why the audio for the first show wasn't good. Whether you like this video or not will probably have a lot to do with whether you like the music or not.

Oh I liked this one. I think that under the circumstances you've done a magnificent job! I'm not really a fan of the thumbnail/title styling with the blue on white letters though. The rest seems good but that bit feels off in my opinion.
    The cats are watching us...

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Oh I liked this one. I think that under the circumstances you've done a magnificent job! I'm not really a fan of the thumbnail/title styling with the blue on white letters though. The rest seems good but that bit feels off in my opinion.
    I grabbed the blue from the image, probably from the light rope that defines the stage. It could be changed. What do you think would be better? I could probably lift their more ornate logo, but I'd need to do some sort of background so it doesn't get lost in the clutter.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    I grabbed the blue from the image, probably from the light rope that defines the stage. It could be changed. What do you think would be better? I could probably lift their more ornate logo, but I'd need to do some sort of background so it doesn't get lost in the clutter.
    Well if that's their logo I'd probably just make it a bit smaller like perhaps at 1/3 or 1/4 of the screen and place it towards the upper right corner and maybe also go with an opaque oval. If that is n't their official logo you're bound to which I'm guessing it isn't I'd probably go with big white letters all across the top. I'd also probably optimise the colours of the frame you grabbed to make the thumbnail a bit in photoshop. Maybe B&W with a bit of added contrast and a slight vignette? Not sure, just options.
    The cats are watching us...

6. Default

Sometimes the thumbnails are displayed quite small, so I like the title to be fairly large. The background is rather cluttered with white and black areas so white letters would get a bit lost. Some color/brightness tweaking of the screen grab might not be a bad idea.