Thread: How can I do these video effects?

Default How can I do these video effects?

Hey everybody. Ive got some free time and was just playing YouTube videos and noticed a couple of effects Id like to try and replicate.

Kool & The Gang- Get Down On It
    https://youtu.be/qchPLaiKocI
    The dragging video effect.

2. Default

There was probably a special effect built into the hardware used in the original video. It would be a lot easier if someone makes a filter specifically for that, but you could do it manually using chroma key and capturing stills. The video used is going to need to have areas of fairly uniform color in the background to allow the chroma key to work. And the actual movement of the video is done during shooting, not in post. Doing it manually is going to be a lot of tedious work.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    There was probably a special effect built into the hardware used in the original video. It would be a lot easier if someone makes a filter specifically for that, but you could do it manually using chroma key and capturing stills. The video used is going to need to have areas of fairly uniform color in the background to allow the chroma key to work. And the actual movement of the video is done during shooting, not in post. Doing it manually is going to be a lot of tedious work.
    Not really, you can use echo in after effects or premiere pro. Just need quite a bit of CPU power when you want to do it on longer clips with higher resolution.
    Last edited by Grapes; 07-18-2018 at 07:51 PM.
    The cats are watching us...

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Not really, you can use echo in after effects or premiere pro. Just need quite a bit of CPU power when you want to do it on longer clips with higher resolution.
    Well, then those have a specific tool to make that effect easy, which is nice. Vegas Pro doesn't have that particular tool, but you could do it manually. I think I overstated how hard it would be.

Maybe you can simply stack layers with the right blending mode and 1 frame delay in between?
    The cats are watching us...

6. Default

That's what I would do, but more than one frame. And if I were replicated the sample video I'd use stills taken every 20 frames or so under the front image. It might be good to posterize (quantize) the colors like in the sample video as well.