Thread: Gimbal??

Default Gimbal??

Hi,

I am looking at buying a gimbal for my DSLR. I use a Nikon D800 with either a 24-70mm f2.8 lens or a 50mm 1.8 lens. I need to carry 2KG of kit so that limits mu options.

From looking around the Zhiyun Crane 2 / plus would work, but dji have now announced the Ronin S. Both seem to have compatibility issues with Nikons. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about these Gimbals or any others??

Many thanks

Chris

In my opinion there is no other way to go other then the DJI Ronin-S.
    I don't have it personally yet, but from what i have seen it is much better then the Crane 2.

Why would it have compability issues with Nikons? What do you mean?

It seems that some features, follow focus, for example don't work with Nikon cameras. It seems that some other features don't work. If I am spending this sort of money I want to get the most out of the features.

Indeed, the Ronin S does look very good. But that tools compatibility issues, the pull focus for example only works on certain Panasonic camera.
    So as good as this looks, there are still some features that won't work wit my Nikon. It is possible that this could be rectified with future firmware updates.

Here is a compatibility chart.
    https://d32xrmdsd5z66d.cloudfront.ne...018.05.29).pdf
    Last edited by Jediboy; 06-26-2018 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Link added

I just checked DJI's camera compability list and your camera is supported. Why did you think that it wasn't?
    In fact Nikon cameras are by far the most supported by the Ronin-S, Canon has only 8 supported models where as Nikon has 27 including your D800. That's almost any model Nikon has.

https://docs.djicdn.com/Products+inf...05.2018+EN.pdf

Obviously Focus Pull works only with supported lenses, but that list is extensive as well and in most cases you would use only 2-3 lenses with the Ronin anyway.

I didn't say my camera wasn't supported, just that some features were not supported. I am well aware that my D800 is supported, I checked the compatibility chart.

Interestingly your chart is a more recent one than the one I was looking at, with some features added.

Seeing as it has only 4 features that would require camera support (Start/stop recording video, Capture photo, Pull focus (with supported lenses), Adjust camera parameters) and all of those are supported for your camera model according to DJI i see no problem with getting the gimbal.
    BTW, that's why i asked what made you think that those features would not work with your camera model? Did you hear a rumor or "someone said" or was it from someone who actually owns a D800 and has proven that some of those 4 features don't work on the current firmware.

Now we know that you checked some outdated compability list that was posted way before the Ronin-S was even released.
    The list i posted "Ronin-S Camera Compatibility List (as of May 30, 201", was already a month old so i am wondering what list you saw.

If you get the Ronin-S, let us know your thoughts on it.

Thanks for posting the more recent compatibility list. It certainly looks more appealing now. My info was from what I read on Wex. No rumour, no gossip.
    I appreciate your help but I do wonder why your tone is a little prickly?

You'r welcome.

Haha. I guess it's because i have the "I say what i think" kind of mentality coupled with the appreciation for specifics.
    That's just how my personality seems to come across on the internet from time to time in written conversations. I am all fluff in RL though, moooostly.

Pleased to hear you’re all fluff really.
    Thanks again for your help.