Thread: Quality vs Size

Default Quality vs Size

I have a few home videos (more than a few maybe), and I started transferring them to the computer. I did a bit of editing (I'm using Adobe Premiere), but my first video was just trimming out the bad parts. The good thing is, The quality is way better than i thought. Its amazing!

This is the summary:

Export
    Video and audio
    Entire Sequence

Filetype
    Microsoft DV AVI

Video Settings
    Compressor: DV (NTSC)
    Frame size: 720h 480v (1.200)
    Frame rate: 29.97 frames/second
    Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2)
    Color depth: Millions of colors
    Quality: 100 (out of 100)
    Fields: Lower Field First

Audio Settings
    Sample rate: 48000 samples/second
    Channels: Stereo
    Sample type: 16-bit

Yes the quality was quite nice, BUT, the size is 7.21 GB!!!!!!!!!!
    this is 33 minutes of video!!! thats all!!! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO FIT THIS IN A DVD? DVD can only store 4 - 5 GB.

Please help because this is my first time and i'm confused with this.

Quote Originally Posted by deville75
    Filetype
    Microsoft DV AVI
    Its because your output is uncompressed AVI. In order to place on a DVD your output file will have to be DVD Compliant MPEG. Encode at 8000Kbps and you will find that the file size (for your 33 minute movie) will be around 2.2Gb

Good luck

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Sir Jammy is right but also dont forget that if you intend on using the DVD's to watch the movies you will need to "author" the dvds. This means adding menus so that a dvd player will show an interface with a play button.
    Although some dvd players will recognise a raw mpeg, others will not and will only recognise the _TS file structure.
    Dont fret however as there are tons of free and easy to use appz out there that are easy to use.

Its because your output is uncompressed AVI. In order to place on a DVD your output file will have to be DVD Compliant MPEG. Encode at 8000Kbps and you will find that the file size (for your 33 minute movie) will be around 2.2Gb

Good luck
    This is actually what i was looking for, but the problem is when i go into Premiere and chose Export > Movie it asks me to save it somewhere. THen i click on settings so i can change the video quality, etc. But here it doesnt allow me to change the compression to MPEG2 or whatever. It just gives me DV (NTSC) and DV (PAL). I'm new to Premiere so maybe im missing something.

Is it possible that the fact that i recorded the video off of my Video Camera using Windows Movie Maker 1 screwed things up???

Is it possible that the fact that i recorded the video off of my Video Camera using Windows Movie Maker 1 screwed things up???
    No, thats not the problem.

Unfortunately I am not a Premiere user, so perhaps one of our resident Adobe Premiere experts can pick this up and advise young deville75 how to get the MPEG settings.

Thanks

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Quote Originally Posted by purejammy
    No, thats not the problem.

Unfortunately I am not a Premiere user, so perhaps one of our resident Adobe Premiere experts can pick this up and advise young deville75 how to get the MPEG settings.

Thanks

thx for the help man, but i figured it out. I need to go Export > Export to Adobe Media Encoder. I did this and it worked ( now my file is only 1.68 GB!!! ) YES. The only thing is i used to 5.1 Surcode for the audio so i cant hear anything off the Computer (will the audio work once i burn it to DVD and play off a DVD player). Also there are two other files (AC3 File and MCSES file). What are these??? Do i need to include this in the DVD im going to Burn??? I'm probably going to use NERO to burn the DVD.