Thread: Converting a high quality video to go on the internet

Default Converting a high quality video to go on the internet

Hi, I'm a complete novice when it comes to posting on Youtube so I could do with a little guidance. I read that it should take a few mins to upload a video. I have a 12 min video which I want to add to youtube. The issue is the file I have is 745mb and I can't figure out how to reduce the size without compromising the quality. I'm running it through FCPX to convert to a youtube size file but, the time to convert is forecast to be about 2hrs! What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by vdubbman; 06-19-2018 at 03:45 PM.

2. Default

My "internet ready" files are about 100Mb per minute so 745Mb for a 12 minute video isn't bad at all. But if it's not in the right format YouTube might need to spend more time processing it, and I suppose there might be a loss of quality at that stage. Two hours seems like a long time to re-encode the file (assuming you even need to do that). What kind of computer are you running (processor type/speed)?

Quote Originally Posted by vdubbman View Post
    Hi, I'm a complete novice when it comes to posting on Youtube so I could do with a little guidance. I read that it should take a few mins to upload a video. I have a 12 min video which I want to add to youtube. The issue is the file I have is 745mb and I can't figure out how to reduce the size without compromising the quality. I'm running it through FCPX to convert to a youtube size file but, the time to convert is forecast to be about 2hrs! What am I doing wrong?
    Why would you want to lower the file size if you already have a super low one?
    745 MB for a 12 min Full HD, 24 or 30 fps (i assume) is already low in my mind.

My YouTube files are roughly the same what boulder mentioned - 100 MB for 1 min, so your 12 min video on my end would be 1.2 GB (at least).

About a 2 hour convert time for a 12 min video - either your PC is a potato or there is something wrong with it.
    Post us your PC specs and how old the gear is.
    Maybe your hard drive is so old (or damaged) that it can't handle read/write speeds anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    My "internet ready" files are about 100Mb per minute so 745Mb for a 12 minute video isn't bad at all. But if it's not in the right format YouTube might need to spend more time processing it, and I suppose there might be a loss of quality at that stage. Two hours seems like a long time to re-encode the file (assuming you even need to do that). What kind of computer are you running (processor type/speed)?
    The file is an mpeg-4, so not unusual, as far as I know. I have an upgraded 2008 MacPro running OSX Yosemite with 2 x 2.8 Ghz Quad Core intel Xeon processors.

Hi RL Sensei, my MAC is an upgraded 2008 MacPro running OSX Yosemite with 2 x 2.8 Ghz Quad Core intel Xeon processors. I wouldn't have thought the machine is too old, although perhaps the graphics card could be better. I had it upgraded about 4 yrs ago and run programs like Adobe Creative Suite quite happily. I generate films using GoPro software that are an hour long without issue. It just seems odd that a video genrated by my iPhone would be an issue!

The file is an mpeg-4, so not unusual, as far as I know. I have an upgraded 2008 MacPro running OSX Yosemite with 2 x 2.8 Ghz Quad Core intel Xeon processors.
    Hmm, how can your export file be an mpeg-4? It is an encoding algorithm, not a container. Are you sure the file in not an mp4?
    Anyway's, for YouTube you should export in h.264 (encoder or format) and it should be the mp4 container with 16 Mbps bitrate, up to 25 Mbps if you want to counter the YouTube compression a little bit more.

A 2008 MacPro could explain the 2 hour conversion, check your task manager (i don't know what it's called on a Mac) and see what the usage is for the CPU and Hard Drive.
    I have a backup laptop from 2008 and that thing can barely run a YouTube video on 720p because the Hard Drive is falling apart and the CPU has lost like 70% of it's power.

7. Default

I wonder if the iPhone generated file is variable frame rate or something. OP, have you tried uploading the video as is? Also, YT has a page that gives recommendations for file properties for optimum function on their site. I think the upload page has a link to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    Hmm, how can your export file be an mpeg-4? It is an encoding algorithm, not a container. Are you sure the file in not an mp4?
    Anyway's, for YouTube you should export in h.264 (encoder or format) and it should be the mp4 container with 16 Mbps bitrate, up to 25 Mbps if you want to counter the YouTube compression a little bit more.

A 2008 MacPro could explain the 2 hour conversion, check your task manager (i don't know what it's called on a Mac) and see what the usage is for the CPU and Hard Drive.
    I have a backup laptop from 2008 and that thing can barely run a YouTube video on 720p because the Hard Drive is falling apart and the CPU has lost like 70% of it's power.
    I tried uploading it yesterday. It took approx 17 hrs!!!! And then Youtube said it was an invalid request and authentication has expired so that was a waste of time!!

I've tried convert the movie at a lower resolution 720 and the file size remains the same which I simply don't understand. i have now converted it a low res 480 and youtube is telling me it will take 2 hrs to upload. I give up

What type of internet connection do you use? Maybe you have low upload bandwidth?
    I take it you got handbrake from that post about the outdoor cam? Handbrake should have a fast 1080p 30 preset that should probably take a few minutes to convert a 12 min file. Make sure you set container to MP4.
    The cats are watching us...