Thread: how to deal with different resolutions in FCPX

Default how to deal with different resolutions in FCPX

Hi,

I am a new member in this forum.

I am working on a documentary film project and I am in the last stages of shooting. I will be doing the rough editing myself and looking for some advice related to editing.

At the moment I am working on a teaser for pitching and wondering what would be the best way to deal with different resolutions. I am using Sony FS7 and Gopro 5 and the footage comes in a number of different resolution:

Sony FS7 4K (4096 x 2160) (70% of the footage)
    Sony FS7 Slow motion mode (1920x1080)
    Gopro 5 4K (3840x2160) and (2704x1520) and (1920x1080)

I would be grateful if someone could advise me on what would be the best project resolution in FCPX to combine all this footage of different resolutions. For now I have set it 4096 x 2160, however, I am not sure if that is an optimal setting to accommodate other resolutions.

Your advice would be very helpful.

Thanks.
    Mindaugas

2. Default

Hi and welcome,

As far as i can see you have to look at your aspect ratios.

The 4096x2160 has an aspect ratio or 256:135 or aprox. 1.9:1, where as the rest is in 16:9.
    So that means that no matter what you do (what resolution you choose in the end), you will either cut of your sides or top and bottom of the clips shot in one of the ratios. So keep that in mind while shooting and frame your shots accordingly, because it will brake your rule of thirds framing.

The next thing is (technically this is the first thing that you should know before you even start shooting) - you need to figure out where your film will be watched.
    4096x2160 = DCI 4K and is a cinema format.
    3840x2160 = 4K UHD and is a television format that's also used in almost all PC monitors and TVs

If your documentary is going to the big screen (theater projection), then you pretty much have to use 4096x2160, but if it's for Web or TV then i would use 3840x2160 to avoid the added black bars.

After you have figured that out it's just a matter of upscaling or downscaling in FCPX and trying to keep your framing right.

Thanks a lot!

The film is intended for cinema projection and now it is clear that the aspect ratio should be ≈1.9:1.

After further investigation, I learned that DCI standard has 2 formats - 2K 2048 1080 and 4K 4096 2160.

What would be the most optimal option (2K or 4K) in terms of overall image quality to go with considering that I will have to downscale some footage if using 2K and upscale some if using 4K?
    Last edited by vejausua; 06-15-2018 at 01:44 PM.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by vejausua View Post
    Thanks a lot!

The film is intended for cinema projection and now it is clear that the aspect ratio should be ≈1.9:1.

After further investigation, I learned that DCI standard has 2 formats - 2K 2048 1080 and 4K 4096 2160.

What would be the most optimal option (2K or 4K) in terms of overall image quality to go with considering that I will have to downscale some footage if using 2K and upscale some if using 4K?
    To be honest, i have not made films for the big screen so i don't know their requirements for resolution. But i can tell you one thing - most TV shows are filmed in FULL HD and not 4K. Because best quality FULL HD is still better then mediocre 4K.

Obviously if you want to output at 4K, then you will have to up scale every clip that's not native 4K and that will result in noticeable quality loss.
    A 2K output would give you the best overall quality, but then again - if the cinema projector requires a 4K file, then your 2K film will be upscaled and lose quality. (although, i don't believe they require 4K)

I think the best option for you is to contact the client (if it's for a client) or a publisher and simply ask what are their requirements for this.
    This really is a question for someone who is directly involved with either that part of the industry or your project in general and you should verify so that you don't make a mistake that can cost you in the end.

That totally makes sense. I should have thought myself to talk to my producer first

Anyways, thanks and have a nice weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by vejausua View Post
    Thanks a lot!

Go for 2K.
    Up-scaling footage hardly ever works out the way you want it and it'll give you loads of freedom on the 4K clips in regards to cropping the images instead of just scaling it down.
    2K still means you'll have to up-scale the Full HD footage to get a fit as well.
    The cats are watching us...

Got it. Yes, that would be the best. Thanks!