Thread: I HATE THE SAFE AREA! (Mediastudio 7)

Default I HATE THE SAFE AREA! (Mediastudio 7)

Hi all,

Long time lurker...Thanks for all the tips I've picked up so far!

Why do we have to put up with vids being "cropped" due to the "safe area"?? I'm recording and editing in 4:3 and have everything set at 4:3 with 720/576 resolution, however there is always that 10% or so that is just cropped off due, apparently, to the "safe area"...

This is a real pain when doing titles/graphics etc...I always end up burning a DVD that is great apart from text/graphics being cut off on the extremes causing me to go back and fiddle with the editing to get it back on screen! Hacks me off!

Anywho.....I've recently been doing an amateur band (my band!) video where the footage was taken in less than great lighting conditions and is therefore grainy in appearance. I decided to squeeze a little more resolution out of the footage by utilising a "moving path" within mediastudio to shrink the picture to within the safe area. Is this common or is there an easier way to do this? Does anybody understand my ramblings? What I'm trying to say is....Can you avoid the resolution loss that is wasted in the unseeable safe area? Kind of like watching a movie on a 30 inch tv as opposed to a 32 inch???

I hate wasting any footage!!!! Even 10% in the safe area!!!

Hope someone can help!

Walshi

Quote Originally Posted by walshi
    Why do we have to put up with vids being "cropped" due to the "safe area"??
    Unfortunately, that is just the way it is. When you ar watching your results on a TV anything between 10 and 20 percent will be lost due to the technicalities of the television. Incidentally this is true regardless of whether you watch on a 14inch TV or a 32inch TV. And it is also true regardless of what NLE package you use. Most videographers over come this by framing their shots accordingly to begin with.

decided to squeeze a little more resolution out of the footage by utilising a "moving path" within mediastudio to shrink the picture to within the safe area.
    Yes if that 10% is precious to you then this is the only way to proceed. You will have to bear in mind though that different TV sets will vary on their 'safe' percentage. This means that what looks good on your TV may not be quite the same on another. Once again this is true regardless of what NLE you use.

So unfortunately there is no way of avoding the 'loss'. The real answer lies in framing you shots before hand.

Good luck!

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

if yuo google "under scan area" you should be able to find plenty of matt graphics with an aloh so u can overlay it on in your NLE to keep things with in the safe area.