Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anyone give me their views on LOG's & LUT's

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    If you haven't found it yourself yet - here is a link.
    https://www.pond5.com/stock-video-fo...kboxguild.html

But just to let you know - they won't credit the creator in this system, they actually can't.
    Pond5 and other agency are not set up in such a way that they would show the original creators name in the meta data info.
    And BB uses an automated system to distribute clips from the BB servers to stock agencies and the agencies pull only the file name, description, metadata and keywords from the files.
    Ta, I hadn't found it myself yet. But if I understand it correctly as long as I mention my name and website in the description I'll still get my name out there alongside the clip. That's right, right?
    The cats are watching us...

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Ta, I hadn't found it myself yet. But if I understand it correctly as long as I mention my name and website in the description I'll still get my name out there alongside the clip. That's right, right?
    Technically, yeah - it will show that info, but i don't know if it would be allowed by BB or even Pond5.
    There is probably a reason why i have not seen a single video that links their website and author name in the description.

I found this reply in the Pond5 help forums from a Pond5 employee: "Pond5 no longer allows links or thumbnails in item descriptions, so this feature is no longer supported."
    Couldn't find anything about writing your name in there though.

Name should be fine and if I only do my domain name and extension it's technically not a link either I guess...

4. Default

This is a great thread.

I buy stock for quick videos for work projects. I definitely look for the finished article. Not too aggressive with colors (cause it has to match the rest of the video), but definitely look for something attractive, colorful and bright. LOG footage would not be helpful to me and others buying for the same reasons.

LOG and LUT
    This stuff matters most when you shoot in deeper bits, so it makes sense you wouldn’t have run into it too much if you are not shooting 10bits yet.
    LOG is just a trick to fit more image detail into the same video format. It works by getting rid of the type of less important color info that usually uses up space in the file, and as a result the image is flattened (tons of grays instead of colors and blacks). Various LOG profiles are simply using a different algorithm to flatten the colors in a different way, so it makes sense to become familiar with Cine C, D, etc, because each has an application (like outdoors, inside, skins vs objects, etc)

IMO, LOG doesn’t make sense if you are shooting 8bits, because the “deflattening” afterwards tends to not have enough information to accurately bring back the colors if your format is 8bits. For instance, skins can look downright terrible with a weird pinkness to them. Look for this effect in youtube videos that show examples.

LUTs are the opposite of LOG. It is definition of how to rebuild the colors so it looks natural, after LOG made them flat. The profiles are just like LOG, different ways to push the colors back that lead to variations in the color outcome.

IMO, LOG is a great thing if you want cinematic looking color definition when you are shooting 10bits or better. It makes your less than $50k camera get to compete with the type of color definition of an Alexa. But any less than 10bits and you might not want to bother unless you are shooting something that would not look weird if the colors are a bit off (like some drone footage, most people don’t mind if a forest is extra green. Just don’t shoot faces up close).

10bits vs RAW
    10bits will take LUT well, but you can’t really push it in post or it will start to look weird. RAW goes the distance by saving way more color info into much larger files, so then in post you can get aggressive with raising the exposure, touching up the colors, etc.

If you can get it right in camera, then 10bits is enough for really nice color definition. Shooting RAW means you can get it wrong in camera. In pro photography, we can adjust the exposure an entire stop without affecting quality, and fix 2 stops of light to a passable degree. I haven’t played with RAW video but I expect it would give you similar pliability (maybe not quite as deep as 2 stops).

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    This is a great thread.

I buy stock for quick videos for work projects. I definitely look for the finished article. Not too aggressive with colors (cause it has to match the rest of the video), but definitely look for something attractive, colorful and bright. LOG footage would not be helpful to me and others buying for the same reasons.

LOG and LUT
    This stuff matters most when you shoot in deeper bits, so it makes sense you wouldn’t have run into it too much if you are not shooting 10bits yet.
    LOG is just a trick to fit more image detail into the same video format. It works by getting rid of the type of less important color info that usually uses up space in the file, and as a result the image is flattened (tons of grays instead of colors and blacks). Various LOG profiles are simply using a different algorithm to flatten the colors in a different way, so it makes sense to become familiar with Cine C, D, etc, because each has an application (like outdoors, inside, skins vs objects, etc)

IMO, LOG doesn’t make sense if you are shooting 8bits, because the “deflattening” afterwards tends to not have enough information to accurately bring back the colors if your format is 8bits. For instance, skins can look downright terrible with a weird pinkness to them. Look for this effect in youtube videos that show examples.

LUTs are the opposite of LOG. It is definition of how to rebuild the colors so it looks natural, after LOG made them flat. The profiles are just like LOG, different ways to push the colors back that lead to variations in the color outcome.

IMO, LOG is a great thing if you want cinematic looking color definition when you are shooting 10bits or better. It makes your less than $50k camera get to compete with the type of color definition of an Alexa. But any less than 10bits and you might not want to bother unless you are shooting something that would not look weird if the colors are a bit off (like some drone footage, most people don’t mind if a forest is extra green. Just don’t shoot faces up close).

10bits vs RAW
    10bits will take LUT well, but you can’t really push it in post or it will start to look weird. RAW goes the distance by saving way more color info into much larger files, so then in post you can get aggressive with raising the exposure, touching up the colors, etc.

If you can get it right in camera, then 10bits is enough for really nice color definition. Shooting RAW means you can get it wrong in camera. In pro photography, we can adjust the exposure an entire stop without affecting quality, and fix 2 stops of light to a passable degree. I haven’t played with RAW video but I expect it would give you similar pliability (maybe not quite as deep as 2 stops).
    Thanks!

I don't suppose stock footage sites accept RAW video formats?
    I'd love to try out RAW video as well. As a matter of fact I think I'll see if I can find some RAW footage to play with on the web

6. Default

I don't know what language this is, but if you can navigate it I believe there are links to the red one video raw files in the description:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWYK3lcuYt0

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    I don't know what language this is, but if you can navigate it I believe there are links to the red one video raw files in the description:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWYK3lcuYt0
    Thanks, I already found http://www.red.com/sample-r3d-files
    I'm a bit disappointed by the control I get over the colours when compared to raw photography though...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12