Thread: Audio editing help

Default Audio editing help

So I don't know if I signed up for the wrong forum but I thought this was for Video and Audio help but I am mostly just seeing Video.
    But it can't hurt to ask I think. I have a single .MP3 file audio recording that is 8 ours long. The majority of it is just plain blank air noise.
    There are piece randomly throughout that I would like to keep. Is there any software editing software that will allow me to eliminate the
    gaps of air noise and the actual sounds and just keep maybe 10 seconds of air noise in between the real sounds?

I am working with Audacity but don't see an option to do what I am looking to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Default

I don't have Audacity on this computer, but I had it on my older computers. There should be an option for that. Try just selecting what you want to get rid of and pressing the delete key.

Any editor that lets you see the audio waves visually will make it easier to identify what's silence and what's audio.

Free software:
    Audacity
    Tracktion 6

Quote Originally Posted by SoundGuy2018 View Post
    So I don't know if I signed up for the wrong forum but I thought this was for Video and Audio help but I am mostly just seeing Video.
    But it can't hurt to ask I think. I have a single .MP3 file audio recording that is 8 ours long. The majority of it is just plain blank air noise.
    There are piece randomly throughout that I would like to keep. Is there any software editing software that will allow me to eliminate the
    gaps of air noise and the actual sounds and just keep maybe 10 seconds of air noise in between the real sounds?

I am working with Audacity but don't see an option to do what I am looking to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    In Audacity you can try truncate silence and set silence at -20db
    If the air noise is too loud you should first do noise removal:
    Select some of the air noise and go to effects > noise reduction > get noise profile. Now select the entire clip and go again to effects > noise reduction and this time just click "OK" and it'll reduce the volume for the air noise. Once the air noise is reduced below -20db you can use truncate silence and it'll automatically leave you with the bits that are not air noise
    The cats are watching us...